GWR Tool and Mess Breakdown Vehicles

HI Paul,

I had been there and thanks again for continuing to maintain this vital resource. The problem I had was that the photos that were early BR we black and white and sometimes black and red look a bit similar, hence the questions here if anyone had first hand experience of them back in the day.

Thanks!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Hello everyone

I'm in the process of doing DW14928 Mess and Sleeping Van (Bridge Department) from a photo I have seen of it at Ellesmere in 1961. As my layout is Ellesmere it has to be done.  Modified from a GWR 4 wheel Ratio kit I am at the painting stage. Lettering is coming from Railtech but i'm not sure whether it should be white or cream. Additionally the vehicle looks black in the photo but I am told it was Navy Blue!!!!!??? I notice from the link that PauL Bartlett has a photo of it. Anybody able to help.

Thanks

Phil

• Like 1

Phil,

Paul does have a photo of it, but has typed the number wrongly as 94128. Have you noticed the DC brake lever? This coach had 'Lever either side brake ", which means both DC levers were on the same shaft. Have you had fun plating over those panels as nearly every panel has been plated. Has the far compartment door been changed to a double door? There's an extra ventilator next the top of the door.

When originally converted it was painted brown, then red-brown, then black; all with yellow text. I've seen a colour photo of a worn 'black' coach that looked navy blue, I've assumed that the black paint has faded bluish.

Hello everyone

I'm in the process of doing DW14928 Mess and Sleeping Van (Bridge Department) from a photo I have seen of it at Ellesmere in 1961. As my layout is Ellesmere it has to be done.  Modified from a GWR 4 wheel Ratio kit I am at the painting stage. Lettering is coming from Railtech but i'm not sure whether it should be white or cream. Additionally the vehicle looks black in the photo but I am told it was Navy Blue!!!!!??? I notice from the link that PauL Bartlett has a photo of it. Anybody able to help.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

We definitely need to see a photo of this one - sounds very interesting!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

We definitely need to see a photo of this one - sounds very interesting!

All the best,

Castle

Indeed...

Now then - hight ye unto 7 Road Carriage Shed & go to the very back. Turn right, around the end of 1357. Mind the Tortoise in the corner ('tis not dead, perchance it sleepeth) - turn right again & squeeze yourself 'twixt shed wall & 1357.

Photograph same

Post results here

Reason being that one side of 1357 is still painted black & carries the brandings (in a shade that has faded to a warm cream):—

ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT WOLVERHAMPTON,

W14571W,

MAXIMUM WEIGHT INCLUDING TARE

NOT TO EXCEED 26 TONS

Phil,

Paul does have a photo of it, but has typed the number wrongly as 94128. Have you noticed the DC brake lever? This coach had 'Lever either side brake ", which means both DC levers were on the same shaft. Have you had fun plating over those panels as nearly every panel has been plated. Has the far compartment door been changed to a double door? There's an extra ventilator next the top of the door.

When originally converted it was painted brown, then red-brown, then black; all with yellow text. I've seen a colour photo of a worn 'black' coach that looked navy blue, I've assumed that the black paint has faded bluish.

Hi. thanks for that. We decided to paint it black then give it a quick dust of navy before weathering it. Although I am told (from someone who should know) that it was navy I have found no reference to that  anywhere and assume like you suggest that it is black that has faded bluish. I will go with cream lettering assuming the yellow has faded.  Yes there is an extra door at the end with ventilator and droplight but I couldn't figure out how to represent the vent to match the ratio moulding on the other doors.  I used very thin plasticard (paper thin) for the plating but even now as i look at the photo can see bits i overlooked.  I found the photo on Facebook but it would be inappropriate to divulge the actual source or to stick it on here for copyright reasons. I have to hold my hands up and admit that I cheated with the other side of the vehicle. With no photos I decided to make both sides the same!!! At least it won't matter which way round we put it on the layout.

Many thanks

Phil

post-20815-0-31570000-1516813707_thumb.jpegpost-20815-0-43156300-1516813681_thumb.jpeg

Hi there.....further to my request for transfers for these wagons, Mr Railtec came up trumps and did some lovely transfers for me which I have attached.......I am very happy with the results and thanks to railtec the wagons are finally finished........the tool and mess vans are from Haye developments and the large breakdown van is Blacksmith......just waiting for the D & S Cowans crane to be finished and painted and that will be my breakdown wagons all finished, then onto the next project....

Thanks for the comments and help, there always seems to be someone who can help us modellers out

Dave Brighty.......

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

That looks brilliant - well done! Were the roof boards part of the transfer sheet? It’s the thing I need to complete my set...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Hi Dave,

That looks brilliant - well done! Were the roof boards part of the transfer sheet? It’s the thing I need to complete my set...

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle, the roof boards weren't part of the transfer sheet though if one person or more were to let me know:

- Some common roof boards

- What is the overall critical width in which they should fit

...then it may be something relatively easy to pull together. I seem to recall in the Great Western Way book that there were reported variations of colour, so this could be a can of worms?!