The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Car Safety recalls and key less ignition

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

As for the keyless ignition, you can now get hold of small bags which stop the car being able to pick up the key once you put them inside.

Wow, described as "Faraday bags". Would an old biscuit tin do the job?

A quick Google seems to suggest a tin box does the trick.  They also suggest using the fridge or microwave. 

A biscuit tin should do the job just fine.  Earthing it would be even better.  Not sure I like the fridge or microwave ideas much - the first would probably be damp (and not brilliant for the battery) and the second - well a quick accidental zap of a key with microwave energy should scrap it a treat, and they're not cheap.

I did do some work in a building surrounded on the outside with a giant farady cage - it was the control room of a facility used to zap aircraft with seriously high levels of RF in order to check for adverse effects.  One of the aircraft ground crew outside in an unprotected portakabin (but supposedly in a safe zone) could literally feel the power in his arms and legs every time the radar came on.  The boffins were so impressed they came down to experiment on him, measuring induced currents in his arms and legs.  As for mobile fones, don't even attempt to tell me they're safe. But that's another story.

No idea about the frequency Jonboy, but the house has a stack of WiFi from both my BT internet router, Sky Q box, 3 mini boxes and a repeater. To be honest it's done it after a month of two of ownership and it's always been put down to my low mileage and numerous short trips.  They've changed the battery once.  I've charged the battery fully one day and not moved the car off the driveway at all. Two days later with zero driving, it starts sending me emails again.

Perhaps it's lonely and needs to talk to somebody.... :D

• RMweb Gold

433.92 MHz for non North American cars.

I haven't used my car much this winter and then only in short trips so my battery while starting the car quite happily tells me not to use the radio as it will shut down unless I start the engine. Also when starting with a low battery there are messages about ESP and hill descent control not being available. Restarting clears all the errors.

I am glad that although my remote key fob works from a considerable distance it does require a button to be pressed for locking and unlocking. The only time I had a battery run down as quickly as Gordon's did was some years ago. That fairly new car had new batteries and alternators. It turned out to be a faulty starter motor. This was revealed when it melted just before driving onto a ferry.

A biscuit tin should do the job just fine.  Earthing it would be even better.  Not sure I like the fridge or microwave ideas much - the first would probably be damp (and not brilliant for the battery) and the second - well a quick accidental zap of a key with microwave energy should scrap it a treat, and they're not cheap.

I did do some work in a building surrounded on the outside with a giant farady cage - it was the control room of a facility used to zap aircraft with seriously high levels of RF in order to check for adverse effects.  One of the aircraft ground crew outside in an unprotected portakabin (but supposedly in a safe zone) could literally feel the power in his arms and legs every time the radar came on.  The boffins were so impressed they came down to experiment on him, measuring induced currents in his arms and legs.  As for mobile fones, don't even attempt to tell me they're safe. But that's another story.

I'm reminded of my father's story of his university Physics Society visit to the Birmingham Synchrotron (I think) which had just come into operation at the time (mid-1950s). The magnetic field, when the thing fired, was such that the party were all asked to leave their watches at the door before entering the building. Not only that but, during the tour, their guide showed them one of the adjacent workshops and, in an obviously practiced demonstration, opened a drawer full of steel bolts just as the synchrotron fired, at which point all the bolts obediently stood up on end :D. Sadly noone became humorously stuck to the electromagnets due to metal surgical implants though ;).

• RMweb Premium

What the hell happened to cars that owners could fix.  Nowadays Haynes are more interested in writing Manuals for the Space Shuttle, and owners have no chance.  You need a degree to stand a chance, plus a shed load of computer diagnostic equipment (which often gives the wrong answer anyway).

Come to think of it, if the latest input of degree boys at the place where I work are anything to go by then you're completely stuffed.

(e.g. Take "Fred" - not his real name - clever lad for sure.  Several good Degrees, one of which is in Mechanical Engineering.  Spent ONE day in the workshops on his degree course, and has never heard of a B.A. thread.  Some are sensible, the rest try to re-invent the wheel or do things that were tried 20 years ago and never worked then.)  Rant over

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Come to think of it, if the latest input of degree boys at the place where I work are anything to go by then you're completely stuffed.

(e.g. Take "Fred" - not his real name - clever lad for sure.  Several good Degrees, one of which is in Mechanical Engineering.  Spent ONE day in the workshops on his degree course, and has never heard of a B.A. thread.  Some are sensible, the rest try to re-invent the wheel or do things that were tried 20 years ago and never worked then.)  Rant over

I've met quite a few on my travels!

What the hell happened to cars that owners could fix.

They wouldn't pass modern emissions regulations for a start.

You can still buy one as a "classic" and maintain it yourself if you want to.

That's the main reason why, although tempted a number of times, I've not replaced my 1995 VFR within a newer bike.  It's a big boy's toy, not my primary mode of transport.  I couldn't justify paying someone else to diagnose & fix a modern bike.  This one, if it breaks, (a) I can do it myself, (b) it can wait until I have the time to do it, and (c ) I quite enjoy doing it.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 6

What the hell happened to cars that owners could fix.  Nowadays Haynes are more interested in writing Manuals for the Space Shuttle, and owners have no chance.  You need a degree to stand a chance, plus a shed load of computer diagnostic equipment (which often gives the wrong answer anyway).

Probably one of the reasons that cars don't last? It used to be once upon time that rust killed cars. Now it is "computer says 'no'" with a pricetag to fix of several times the value of the car. The scrapyard down the road from here is filled with cars from between 2002 and 2010 most with completely mint bodyshells but with what I assume are on board computer chip failures. It's one of the reasons I keep a 1996 Volvo 850 as my weekend car. It's new enough that it doesn't suffer the plague of unreliability of older cars, but old enough that it predates all the fancy electronics that stop an owner from fixing it and become too expensive to repair. 

The reason Haynes diversified is that a manual for a modern car wouldn't sell because there would be nothing an owner could do. Some modern cars, I believe will shut down if the oil has not been changed at the required intervals. However just changing the oil doesn't stop it thinking it needs the oil changing - the main dealer has to plug in and tell the car its oil has been changed with their expensive setup. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think modern cars are far more reliable than they've ever been. In fact it is now a little bit of a problem as many drivers are convinced that they do not have to do any checks whatsoever between the annual or bi-annual service. Unless you are unlucky the car probably will run faultlessly between service but tyres still wear and need an occasional bit of air, things are thrown up on the road, lights may blow etc so a regular visual and function check is still important.

• Like 1

That's the main reason why, although tempted a number of times, I've not replaced my 1995 VFR within a newer bike. It's a big boy's toy, not my primary mode of transport. I couldn't justify paying someone else to diagnose & fix a modern bike. This one, if it breaks, (a) I can do it myself, (b) it can wait until I have the time to do it, and (c ) I quite enjoy doing it.

Likewise, literally. I've got a 1990 VFR (had it from new). I've learnt how to maintain it once out of warranty (even doing the fiddly valve adjustment) and it just puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it. I've sampled the later cam chain 800s, and loads of other models, both smaller capacity and larger, but to me, they're not as nice to ride as a super smooth 750 V Four with gear driven cams! A few of the usual VFR electrics issues, but all have been fixable without resorting to a dealer (apart from parts).

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1

The other thing about older motor vehicles - which is again related to the emissions issue - is that it won't be long before they won't be allowed in certain, particularly urban areas, or will be subject to a charge for doing so.  The Scottish Government wants low emission zones (LEZs) to start going in to place by the end of this year.  According to their consultation document, neither my 25-year-old motorbike nor my 7-year-old car would be allowed in at all.  (This is one reason why I am seriously considering changing my car this year - though not the only one.)

Likewise, literally. I've got a 1990 VFR (had it from new). I've learnt how to maintain it once out of warranty (even doing the fiddly valve adjustment) and it just puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it. I've sampled the later cam chain 800s, and loads of other models, both smaller capacity and larger, but to me, they're not as nice to ride as a super smooth 750 V Four with gear driven cams! A few of the usual VFR electrics issues, but all have been fixable without resorting to a dealer (apart from parts).

Honda reverting to cam chains from a gear drive arrangement has to be the worst engineering idea since the last really bad engineering idea ;).

Honda reverting to cam chains from a gear drive arrangement has to be the worst engineering idea since the last really bad engineering idea ;).

Cost. The VFR750 was an expensive bike for Honda to produce - it was even alleged that Honda made a loss on those sold for a few years. Camchains are a lot cheaper, and a 'service' item, so will need replacing some time. Also, camchains are quieter when new (until they rattle, which they will... ), and gear driven cams didn't meet noise regs (another 'allegedly').

Edited by Coppercap

The other thing about older motor vehicles - which is again related to the emissions issue - is that it won't be long before they won't be allowed in certain, particularly urban areas, or will be subject to a charge for doing so.  The Scottish Government wants low emission zones (LEZs) to start going in to place by the end of this year.  According to their consultation document, neither my 25-year-old motorbike nor my 7-year-old car would be allowed in at all.  (This is one reason why I am seriously considering changing my car this year - though not the only one.)

Over here, there is no MOT or its test, although there are some cars that probably need it!  On the other hand, my 1995 will not be required to have a smog test in two years time so saving the $15 for nothing,  I've had to pay every year since new!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Modern cars - far harder to fix, but less likely to go wrong. Ideally I prefer things to be as simple as is reasonably possible, but I definitely don't see as many cars on the hard shoulder as I once did, and it's not as if traffic has got less.

I think modern cars are far more reliable than they've ever been. In fact it is now a little bit of a problem as many drivers are convinced that they do not have to do any checks whatsoever between the annual or bi-annual service. Unless you are unlucky the car probably will run faultlessly between service but tyres still wear and need an occasional bit of air, things are thrown up on the road, lights may blow etc so a regular visual and function check is still important.

Indeed. Even I had become complacent. When you do regular checks and the oil level/coolant level etc. seems exactly the same as last time and it arrives at its 12,000 mile service with almost as much liquid in it as it left from the last one - and it has over 130,000 miles on the clock - you do tend not to worry about it too much. However I almost came unstuck, one day it developed a slight leak. I noticed a very small pool of water under the engine one day after it had been parked a while and it was not raining. Checked the header tank and it was empty. Luckily only just...

Funnily enough not had any electronic issues with it, only electro-mechanical (fuel pumps and injectors) Garage reckons a previous owner may have miss-fueled it and seemingly got away with it at the time, but in reality substantially reducing the lifespan of the fuel system. This last year all it has needed is to put fuel in it.

Edited by Titan

Over here, there is no MOT or its test, although there are some cars that probably need it!  On the other hand, my 1995 will not be required to have a smog test in two years time so saving the $15 for nothing,  I've had to pay every year since new!

Brian.

Interesting. That does explain programmes like Roadkill that can take a Mustang that has sat rusting in a junk yard for 30 years and put it back on the road with only two days of tinkering and almost no new parts. Does that mean that a lot of people do run cars for decades? 

Interesting. That does explain programmes like Roadkill that can take a Mustang that has sat rusting in a junk yard for 30 years and put it back on the road with only two days of tinkering and almost no new parts.

I especially like it when they have no headlights and zip-tie a couple of torches to the grille...

• RMweb Gold

They wouldn't pass modern emissions regulations for a start.

You can still buy one as a "classic" and maintain it yourself if you want to.

That's the main reason why, although tempted a number of times, I've not replaced my 1995 VFR within a newer bike.  It's a big boy's toy, not my primary mode of transport.  I couldn't justify paying someone else to diagnose & fix a modern bike.  This one, if it breaks, (a) I can do it myself, (b) it can wait until I have the time to do it, and (c ) I quite enjoy doing it.

All this talk of emissions is a load of the proverbial, whole life personal emissions are far greater when the manufacture of many new cars to feed need and greed is taken into account.

The most efficient car is the first one you bought, if you had maintained it over the ensuing lifetime the planet would be in a far better shape.

The issue of whether we'd all be happy riding round in Model T Fords is a different question altogether!

Mike.

• Like 1

All this talk of emissions is a load of the proverbial, whole life personal emissions are far greater when the manufacture of many new cars to feed need and greed is taken into account.

The most efficient car is the first one you bought, if you had maintained it over the ensuing lifetime the planet would be in a far better shape.

The issue of whether we'd all be happy riding round in Model T Fords is a different question altogether!

Mike.

Agreed, all this talk of scrappage schemes for cars over 10 year old doesnt take into account the emissions produced by manufacturing the new car and disposing of the old one, they only look at what comes out of the exhaust which isnt the whole story, but it does allow for soundbite headlines about doing their bit for the environment!

Cost. The VFR750 was an expensive bike for Honda to produce - it was even alleged that Honda made a loss on those sold for a few years. Camchains are a lot cheaper, and a 'service' item, so will need replacing some time. Also, camchains are quieter when new (until they rattle, which they will... ), and gear driven cams didn't meet noise regs (another 'allegedly').

All true, but Honda's (in particular, although the others of the Big 4 were far from blameless) historical record on camchain and tensioner durability doesn't inspire confidence.

I don't think warranty claims on the VF750 made them much profit either ;).

Edited by PatB