Point Drop Stop for Peco Points

two tone green

As a possible "whinger", may I explain my line of questioning. Although I solely model in EM, I, like many others, had my head turned by the Dapol 08 and the forthcoming wagons.

I'd (erroneously) assumed that, as I don't closely follow O gauge, out of the box Peco pointwork would be a simple route to a little 7mm plank, but it seems it amplifies the OO gauge problems, and I might not be satisfied with the end result.

Thanks to those who have explained the potential issues.

Mike.

Evening Mike,

I didn't realise there was also the same problem in 4mm, mind you saying that I was also into EM back in the late 80's so being that I use to make my own track back then I wasn't aware of the problem.

The wheel drop definitely seems to affect the longer wheelbase stock, I did make a video years ago showing the problem, I will see if I can find it and put it up on here, the wheel drop is not that bad in my opinion.

Martyn.

It's the same in OO too. We rely on the lack of suspension in the wheelsets to stop the wheel dropping into the gap by the frog.

Correct standards are out there: P4 for 4mm or S7 for 7mm. If you want the accuracy, then model in 1 of these scales. If you don't want the extra work these entail, then accept standards as they are.

And 0-MF. It may not be quite the scale gauge, but it works and does so with standard 0 Fine wheels, and unless you look far more closely than you should, you can't spot the difference compared to S7.

Jim

Hornby Dublo used the same artifice back with their 3 rail track relying on a shallow flangeway to allow the flange to take the weight of the axle as the wheel moves across the gap.   The original Peco Streamline was code 100 like Hornby Dublo but had much deeper flangeways to cope with Triang and similar flanges.

The Drop Stop is a great way of improving running as long as you have consistent flange depth.  I did something similar with an 00 diamond crossing and had to dig them back out again as one or two vehicles had over depth flanges and bumped over the crossing while several had shallow flanges and dropped in anyway...

And 0-MF. It may not be quite the scale gauge, but it works and does so with standard 0 Fine wheels, and unless you look far more closely than you should, you can't spot the difference compared to S7.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's exactly what I build my track to, 31.5 gauge works for me.

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's the same in OO too. We rely on the lack of suspension in the wheelsets to stop the wheel dropping into the gap by the frog.

Correct standards are out there: P4 for 4mm or S7 for 7mm. If you want the accuracy, then model in 1 of these scales. If you don't want the extra work these entail, then accept standards as they are.

Apologies this is off topic and some months after Pete's post, but that doesn't happen with 00-SF. I run most modern wheel sets plus Ultrascales and Markit/ Romford wheels through turnouts with no drop at all. Happy to show pics and videos if you want.

Site does rather need updating, not much help to tell us the exhibitions attended in 2015.

Regards

It also has the wrong address, phone number, an out-of-date product list and has clearly not been significantly updated for years!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well what a turn up for the books. We have made it into the June issue off Railway Modeller.

Some drop stops were handed over to Peco at the Bristol O Gauge show in January and they have given us a spot on page 519 in the News section. There is even a photo.

Thank you Railway Modeller.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 3