The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone out there interested in stamps

jetmorgan

Are there any stamp collectors among our number? Only asking as I have had some parcels and letters arrive that have stamps on them that might be of interest to any collector. I did ask a serious stamp dealer/collector but he wasn't interested as he didn't think he'd make any serious money out of selling them. But if anyone here is starting a collection or a semi serious collector they are more than welcome to them....just need your name and address. 

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this topic.  I have just rediscovered my stamp collection that I probably spent a LOT on when I was knee high to a midge's whisker.  I thought it was time to cash it in so started listing some of it on Ebay.

Seems that no one wants it or any of the forty odd thousand plus lots currently sitting in the same category gathering proverbial electronic dust, I think I will be lucky if any of it sells for enough to cover the cost of the postage....

Has the bottom fallen out of the stamp collecting market now?  My Dad has rooms full of the stuff meticulously collected over decades and I am beginning to wonder when it comes down to me if it would be more profitable to just stick it in the skip...

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO collects stamps but UK only.

She has a standing order from the RM Philatelic Bureau for all new issues and also has a reasonable collection of older more valuable ones. 

The problem is that like model shops, the high street stamp dealer has all but vanished from the face of the earth and apart from the occasional fairs, it's all online.

Not ideal when you are buying only S/H items.

The last shop she used to use was Caerel in Carlisle during our Cumbrian visits but the chap that ran it (and also the Carlisle Stamp Fair) retired 2 or 3 years ago and nobody took on the business.

Somewhat off topic.

Like all internet listings it still appears to exist with address, telephone no, opening hours etc. One site even has an updated listing with Covid instructions. There is even a review on one site from after the shop had closed!

However in 2019 the shop was empty waiting for new tenants.

So don't believe all you see on the 'net:nono:

Like train spotting, my stamp collecting finished in the 1960's, my Dad began mine for me, I had every British Queen Elizabeth 11pre decimal stamp at one time, a mixture of used and un used, but they sold for quite a lot of money many moons ago.

Edited by tigerburnie

• RMweb Premium

I collect stamps in a way; just complete stamped US business-size envelopes (#11, I believe) and first day/commemorative covers. Loose stamps do not interest me anymore; although yesterday (odd timing!) I stumbled upon one of my later childhood albums(1958 - 1959) with quantity of purple 3d stamps with the Queen on them. The same page is half-full of Spanish stamps with an unknown-to-me man's face on them. There is another page full of US 4¢ Lincoln stamps, the current postage rate at that time. The rest of the pages are full of mixed stamps from many countries; my mother worked for a liquor importer and would save these for me.

As a child, I used to collect stamps!

Travelling Europe with my folks, I used to go and introduce myself to other campers, especially the English speaking ones and ask if they had any old stamps I could have. I built up quite a collection this way and when packing up recently, I still have them.

One day, I will organise them better but I have little interest in adding more, sorry!

As an adjunct to this, anyone else collect coins?