7mm Loco Fire Irons

brossard

Over the last couple of days, I've been looking the subject product with little success.  I did get a set of Springside irons but they are quite hopelessly fragile, plus Lizer, there was a hole in my bucket.

The irons that come with the Minerva Pannier are quite good.

Can I get a recommendation on these please?

Thanks

John

John,

I’ve used commercial fire irons, but generally, I make my own. Thin wire, brass for preference, but copper stripped from mains cable will do, stretch it to straighten & harden it a bit, and some round-jaw & square-jaw pliers. You can fashion all sorts of prickers & pokers.

Shovels are a little more challenging, but a few inches of copper shim will give you loads of fun, loads of scrap, and a couple of shovel blades. Easily soldered onto the brass wire handle.

Buckets. There was an article in MRJ many moons back on making your own, but it’s a bit difficult. That nice Mr Klein will be pleased to sell you some!

Photos later if I get a chance - I need to make some for my Dukedog, so cast an eye on my Porth Dinllaen thread.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Some of the Ixion fire irons are available on that charitable auction site here:    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ixion-Models-O-gauge-Locomotive-Firemans-Tools/273020973406?hash=item3f9151715e:g:DPMAAOSw7p5aUQJx

I have a couple of sets of them and they are very good, and not brittle at all.

Jinty ;)

Also available from Antics:

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N1322/N1647_/16325_.html

Wow, guys thanks soo much for helping me with this.  You've given me a lot to mull over.

Simon, it did cross my mind to make my own fire irons but the shovel looks to be something of a fiddle.

I love the S&D selection of goodies but the fire iron set only has a short firemans shovel.  I'll be contacting them for some other things.

The LG stuff looks brilliant but the ordering page mentions the dreaded cheques.  I'm in Canada so I don't want to mess about.  They don't mention PayPal, anyone know if they will do it?

Edit:  I just heard from another member that LG do take PayPal.  :locomotive:

The Ixion kit looks like just the ticket and Antics have it too, which makes ordering easy.  I emailed them the other day asking about the Springside set but they said they couldn't get them.

I found the accessories section at DJH.  Their fireirons look good, but the Ixion set is more comprehensive and less than half the price.  Off topic but I recall seeing DJH had some very good looking water cranes but now I can't see them.

John

Edited by brossard

Guest Q663389

Wow, guys thanks soo much for helping me with this.  You've given me a lot to mull over.

Simon, it did cross my mind to make my own fire irons but the shovel looks to be something of a fiddle.

I love the S&D selection of goodies but the fire iron set only has a short firemans shovel.  I'll be contacting them for some other things.

The LG stuff looks brilliant but the ordering page mentions the dreaded cheques.  I'm in Canada so I don't want to mess about.  They don't mention PayPal, anyone know if they will do it?

Edit:  I just heard from another member that LG do take PayPal.  :locomotive:

The Ixion kit looks like just the ticket and Antics have it too, which makes ordering easy.  I emailed them the other day asking about the Springside set but they said they couldn't get them.

I found the accessories section at DJH.  Their fireirons look good, but the Ixion set is more comprehensive and less than half the price.  Off topic but I recall seeing DJH had some very good looking water cranes but now I can't see them.

John

Hi John,

Ex Piercy range, now withdrdrawn. All ex North Eastern . Lovely models.

Alan

Guest Q663389

Hi Alan, 3 sets of Ixion irons on order.

There is a fire iron set on the DJH site but no clue as to whether it is Piercy or not.

John

Hi John,

I am not sure of the origins of the fire iron sets. I have all of the Piercy products and many of the DJH one's. If I recall correctly, all of the Piercy products included buckets, oil cans and fire irons. They are cast brass as are the lamps supplied by DJH.

My favourite manufacturers.

Regards

Alan

I agree about lost wax brass, a very good material but dear compared to plastic.  Plastic works well and these things only have to sit on top of the loco tank.  :stinker:

The Springside set I started with is whitemetal and way too fragile - I broke several pieces during handling.

John

Edited by brossard

• 2 weeks later...

Found a photo. Work in progress (vide clip holding arm on whilst araldite sets!), but you get the idea.

The tattier ones can go in the fireman’s hands, in the cab,where you can only glimpse them. The really good ones go on top of the tender!

post-20369-0-06394000-1517263982_thumb.jpeg

Best

Simon

• Like 2

I've used the Ixion fire irons on pretty much all the locos I've done recently, including this Pannier 9648 for Talyllyn, which is still awaiting a touch of finishing.

post-14906-0-91053200-1517305600_thumb.jpg

I think they look ok, and are excellent value for money@ around £5 a pack!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

I thought man traps were banned, Simon!

My only concern is with the thickness of the Ixion irons - they look to be a scale 2 1/2" dia, wouldn't that be around twice scale size?

Tony

I don't know what a real one was, but I'd guess not more than 40mm (~1.5"), so 1mm or probably better, 0.8mm wire would be appropriate for DIY.

As David says, the Ixion ones look fine. 

You get a lot of pokers and prickers for £5 worth of wire!!!!

best

Simon