The Railways of Portland Dorset

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

In the pictures of the display I noticed the bus tickets and the ticket machine what bus company are they from?

To be honest, I simply don't know. This area had buses from Western and Southern National and prior to that there appears to have been a lot of local companies using a wide range of buses and coaches. I got my information from one of the Brian Jackson books as I have only lived in Dorset 15 years.

Buses are not an area of interest for me, possibly because I spent so long waiting for them as a child because my parents never owned a car. Sorry I can't be more helpful and won't be going to the Museum again for a while. A quick email to them might solve your query.

Martyn

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

As most of the photos on this thread disappeared and I needed to look at the materials, thought I would re post some in case they were of interest. The project finished around four years ago though the display is still in the Portland Museum. Here are some photos of Easton station kindly provided by the late John Flann, a valuable source of information as he had family on Portland. We messaged each other for a number of years about Portland railways and so much more.

Eastonnorth.jpg.fd477d0f8b4db2176345d55db1b08e19.jpg

Eastonsouth.jpg.19541911b34a661e25e0461e2b8d9af7.jpg

eastonstaion.jpg.d1fbce5ab79915fbafc91e48092e36e5.jpg

Eastongoodssheed.jpg.da7aac47444defbeba8df05a9566b1a1.jpg

This would make a great model as it is a confined site, one day perhaps?

I still walk over the bridge seen in the back of the third photo as it is in the road where I live and regularly cross the old station site. On Wednesday night I walked alongside part of the railway along the cliffs though substantially above it and up the old alignment on the way home.

• Like 7

• 7 months later...
On 02/06/2023 at 10:34, mullie said:

As most of the photos on this thread disappeared and I needed to look at the materials, thought I would re post some in case they were of interest. The project finished around four years ago though the display is still in the Portland Museum. Here are some photos of Easton station kindly provided by the late John Flann, a valuable source of information as he had family on Portland. We messaged each other for a number of years about Portland railways and so much more.

Eastonnorth.jpg.fd477d0f8b4db2176345d55db1b08e19.jpg

Eastonsouth.jpg.19541911b34a661e25e0461e2b8d9af7.jpg

eastonstaion.jpg.d1fbce5ab79915fbafc91e48092e36e5.jpg

Eastongoodssheed.jpg.da7aac47444defbeba8df05a9566b1a1.jpg

This would make a great model as it is a confined site, one day perhaps?

I still walk over the bridge seen in the back of the third photo as it is in the road where I live and regularly cross the old station site. On Wednesday night I walked alongside part of the railway along the cliffs though substantially above it and up the old alignment on the way home.

Hi, would you be able to tell what the various colours were around the station; fences, buildings etc.
We are hoping to start a model of this station shortly to add the the Church Hope model railway display layout that we are building.

Thankyou.

Dave and Richard Farmer

When working on the project I came across no colour photos of Easton station when it was open for passenger services, not surprising as it closed during the early 50s though there are some taken after passenger services ceased. I would assume it remained in southern railway livery until final closure. There is the final video I produced at the end of the project that includes the 1965 final special. This shows a few shots of Melcombe Regis showing canopy colours and the Easton water tower is seen later in the video.

Good luck with your model, I always planned to do it but did no more than renumber a few locos that are in Portland museum.

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2019 at 13:24, lmsforever said:

In the pictures of the display I noticed the bus tickets and the ticket machine what bus company are they from?

Did you find out subsequently? If you still need to know my wife is a  Trustee at the Museum and next time she is up there she or I can have a look and see if we have accession, or other, records for them. 

NB Museum currently closed to the public until Easter.