RMweb

US 0-6-0 Dock Tank 'Up North' in Liverpool

sn

I read somewhere recently that a single 0-6-0 US Dock Tank was transferred for a short period up to Bank Hall in the earlt 60's . Has anyone ever seen a photo of it in the Liverpool area, and do we know exactly where it worked during its short loan period?

Len

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere recently that a single 0-6-0 US Dock Tank was transferred for a short period up to Bank Hall in the earlt 60's . Has anyone ever seen a photo of it in the Liverpool area, and do we know exactly where it worked during its short loan period?

Len

There are a couple of paragraphs on the exploits of 30061 & 30066 north of the Thames in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Southern-Tanks-Howard-Sprenger/dp/0954485939  ....... but the authors state that - at time of publication - they had been unable to track down any photos : OK everyone was concentrating on 'namers' rather than boring old freight engines that would be around for ever - but SOMEONE should have spotted that these were just a little bit special, shouldn't they !!?!

Not really that special seeing as they used USA tanks on other local dock systems during the war. Bromborough and Port Sunlight ISTR.

It was about 1950 1955 rather than the 1960s, the dock system was already being dieselised by then. I think it was because they were pondering about purchasing some stored locomotives but they weren't suitable.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Not really that special seeing as they used USA tanks on other local dock systems during the war. Bromborough and Port Sunlight ISTR.

It was about 1950 1955 rather than the 1960s, the dock system was already being dieselised by then. I think it was because they were pondering about purchasing some stored locomotives but they weren't suitable.

Jason

About 1958 ...... by which time I very much doubt there were any still stored ........... but IF there had been, they wouldn't have been in tip-top condition - even the Southern had to choose carefully from what was available a decade earlier ! : not suitable - probably 

I altered it to 1955 as that was the date that it had in the other thread.

I always assumed there was a stockpile of them somewhere for years that they couldn't sell. I can't see any other reason for trying one out seeing as they already had adequate LMS dock shunters and were going down the dieselisation path.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Most of the USATC 0-6-0T's were shipped off to Europe pretty quickly after the end of the war to help rebuild the railways there.  I think the Southern had to grab what they could before they were shipped off.  I even seem to remember they kept the ones they were already using, effectively never gave them back lol.

Most of the USATC 0-6-0T's were shipped off to Europe pretty quickly after the end of the war to help rebuild the railways there.  I think the Southern had to grab what they could before they were shipped off.  I even seem to remember they kept the ones they were already using, effectively never gave them back lol.

Sorry about the date - YES, it was '55 that '66 went on holiday to Liverpool and '61 went to north London ....... '58 was '66's turn to go to north London.

The Southern only had one USA tank on trial and they did, indeed, retain it working at Southampton - in USATC livery - into BR days ........ meanwhile, they had chosen a number of its brethren from the Newbury Dump - sent a few back and found a few more possibles before amassing a total of fourteen they wanted to keep ( plus one 'christmas tree' ) ........................... full details in The Story of the Southern USA Tanks, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the one at Austin Longbridge and didn't the NCB have also have one in the North East?

Ray.

Longbridge had two.

Both were Davenports, so not quite the same as the SR ones. 

Locomotive  Type     Manufacturer                                             Built   Works No       Acquired                                         Disposal  

Ada II            0-6-0T    Davenport Locomotive Works, Iowa          1943    2503              1947 from USATC                             Scrapped 1957

No, 5             0-6-0T    Davenport Locomotive Works, Iowa          1943    2505              1949 from Morris Nuffield Works      Scrapped 1958

Information from http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/austin-motors.htm

There is a picture of No. 5 near Longbridge East box in Roger Shenton's book 'Changing Tracks' and a picture of one carrying the number WD1938 reputedly shunting at Longbridge also exists. From the lists available on the net this would correspond with the USATC number for Davenport 2503.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer