Class 44/45/46 Features As-built

Evertrainz

a 46 is a 110v locomotive where as the 45s and 44s are 220v which means they carry twice the amount of batteries,

Do they have twice as many batteries or just the same number but connected differently so they have twice the voltage but half the current?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Many years ago I listed the variations of BR diesels, pre-TOPS from over 200 books and equal number of magazine articles, on quite a big data base. It included things like livery, overhead warning flash positions, size and shapes of yellow warning panels, as well as physical differences, Peak handrails being one. All saved on "A" disc. I changed computer as you do, and the new computer had a Microsoft's cheap version of office. It converted all my files to a strange file type. OK until the next computer. I couldn't convert them back to be read as Excel files. Then the next upgrade had no "A" drive......Months of work lost and I still haven't got round to redoing it.

Because I can recall some of the things I found, especially those which have been added to my models, I fire off these random items but cannot be precise which loco or where I got my info.

It is something I must redo.

• RMweb Gold

Do they have twice as many batteries or just the same number but connected differently so they have twice the voltage but half the current?

Nope twice as many batteries.....all connected in series......purely to motor the engine over on startup and also to give a reference voltage for the Automatic Voltage Regulator, all of the auxilliary machines are 220v with the exception of the traction motor blowers which are 110v wired in series, the cubical internally runs on 110v, which in a 45/1 is achieved via the ETH alternator which is then rectified and dropped to 110v via the control supply resistors, and in a 45/0 the 110v supply comes from a glorified motor generator which sits in the radiator tunnel opposite the triple pump.

96 2.2v cells.....about £8500 to replace...... in the last 10 years ive had to change then twice on 45149....and i expect to do it a 3rd time this year.....its not a pleasant job....

Edited by pheaton

Nope twice as many batteries.....all connected in series......purely to motor the engine over on startup and also to give a reference voltage for the Automatic Voltage Regulator, all of the auxilliary machines are 220v with the exception of the traction motor blowers which are 110v wired in series, the cubical internally runs on 110v, which in a 45/1 is achieved via the ETH alternator which is then rectified and dropped to 110v via the control supply resistors, and in a 45/0 the 110v supply comes from a glorified motor generator which sits in the radiator tunnel opposite the triple pump.

96 2.2v cells.....about £8500 to replace...... in the last 10 years ive had to change then twice on 45149....and i expect to do it a 3rd time this year.....its not a pleasant job....

Blimey, and I thought models were expensive.

• RMweb Gold

I'll bear that in mind next time I moan about parting with £50 for a new battery for the Mog....

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought less current in the start windings, (More volts, less amps).

Tip for the Moggy battery, I buy batteries for a diesel Focus, well that's not true, when I put the van back on the road I put the battery off our focus on it. It could no longer start the focus, but it went on to do 7 years service on the van. I've replaced it with a new Focus one, but them I use it daily and have an alternator too...

Andy G

Edit: It also had the advantage that when the alternator died, I can do the 7 shifts in work (8 miles there, with headlights) before the battery flattens...

Edited by uax6

A 46 is a 110v locomotive where as the 45s and 44s are 220v..

So the 46s are Yank Peaks :-)

No just normal :)

AFAIK most indigenous D & E traction in the UK is 110v as a basis. This means the 46s were actually conventional whilst their earlier Crompton electricalled sisters were unconventional. 

Hence the reason i said....just normal when somebody said 46s were yank peaks....

The Sulzer 12LDA28 was a big lump to tun over and at the time the only battery with the guts to tun the lump over required 220v. By the time the Brush things came along a battery with the guts to turn the lump over had become available, if Crompton Parkinson had been able to supply the gear for the next 56+ locos (138-199 and 1500-1519) these would have been 220v as well.

Al Taylor

• 4 months later...

Hello again, all. I've made some good progress on the Peak (see below).

Now would be a good time for me to be considering what all body differences I should be taking note of.

Class 44:

• Heavy grilles D9 & D10
  • Removed/plated steps (?)
  • Boiler filler plated

Class 45:

• Triangular grille (Added/removed on any locos?)
  • Removed Bluestar
  • Hatch below main centre large grill on one side
  • Nose doors Split HC on D11-D15
  • Latch/hinge added on small vent grilles on nose ends (When?)
  • Removed/plated steps and boiler roof detail
  • Boiler filler plated
  • ETH equip. roof changes 45/1
  • Centre split HC changed to full centre HC upon Works visit (When, which?)

Class 46:

• Triangular grille on all numbers
  • Removed Bluestar (?)
  • Centre split HC changed to full centre HC upon Works visit (When, which?)
  • Roof access panel (?)
  • Latch/hinge added on small vent grilles on nose ends (When?)

Can anyone confirm or add on to these? 

post-25907-0-90280600-1529707282_thumb.jpg