BacktoBack Gauge Adjustment

Eyuppp

Hi

I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum but I wondered if anybody has ever used the wheel setter and wheel puller tools from fohrmann

https://www.fohrmann.com/en/wheel-spacer.html

I have a number of old locos (childhood favs and ebay purchases) who's drive wheels jump on certain crossovers (code 100) on my layout.  I've checked the locos and the powered bogies are set around 13.8mm (measured on a vernier) and as you slowly run the locos over the guiderails you can see the wheels ride up the guides.  Most of my locos are okay - this includes old Lima locos and modern Bachmann... the troublesome locos are all Hornby ones.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone ever used them

2. To widen the spacing do you have to use the puller or can the wheel setter also widen it (it looks like it can from the photos)

I don't really want to use screwdrivers or any other form of jimmy to prise the wheels apart, regardless of the success people may have.. I'd like to do this with low risk.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions in advance.

Jon

Jon,

Looking at the photos the wheel setter will require the wheels to be removed from the chassis. How feasible is that with the locos you wish to alter? Do you have a Back-to-back gauge to check the wheels?

If the wheels are tight to gauge then the wheel puller will be a much better bet as you should be able to use that without removing any axles. One point with the puller is that it is only a two point device so you will have to be careful that the adjusted wheel does not end up slanted

Hope that helps,

Tim T

I don't see this tool will be of any use to pull loco wheels out as they will have to be removed from the chassis. On most if not all the old Hornby/Hornby dublo and Triang products apart from maybe the old Margate Brush type 2/class 31, all wheels fit in holes not slots. It's a case of using a screwdriver or small jemmy to prise the wheels out a bit.

Guest teacupteacup

I use a small screwdriver placed right in behind the wheelset at the axle (insulated end) and gently prise, using a back to back gauge to check progress.  Turn the wheelset through each 90 degrees until done.  Works a treat for me

I got mine from Nairnshire Modelling Supplies, others are available

• RMweb Premium

This tool would be better, as it pulls the wheels from the axle centre.

https://www.fohrmann.com/en/mini-wheel-puller-h0.html

and one with three legs would be better still.

George Watts, GW. models also produces a similar tool. He has no online presence, but his contact details can be found in the MRJ or he also normally attends ExpoEM and Scaleforum.

Thanks all for your feedback - very helpful.  I don't have a back to back gauge but i do have digital calipers and using locos that i know clear the points with no issues I would adjust the B2B until either there was sufficient space to clear the points, or the B2B measurements were similar to the 'good' locos.

I agree a three point puller would be better, I can see how that might work.  Am a little nervous at using the screwdriver as it would mean a fraction of adjustment and then turning the wheel to try and maintain an even adjustment.

I think I might purchase the puller and see how I get on..  if all else fails I can try the screwdriver approach!  The wheels are in holes not slots, so it is better if I can adjust them whilst fitted.  I have three locos to adjust.