Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Ah well, hopefully we'll bump into each other at Glasgow? As for Squires, I believe they'll be at Paisley, but if not, I could pick some up at Warley for you if given details. :) 

PM sent.

Jim

Well, I've nearly recovered from Warley now... I spent at least 18 hours of Tuesday asleep, and needed that!

Once again I didn't get to see as much of the show as I'd have liked (but then again, I was being paid to be there!) but what I did see was excellent. I finally got a chance to see Copenhagen Fields in person (although not until the last half-hour of the show on Sunday, when I think things were starting to be packed down), which was stunning, and I was fortunate enough to be able to meet Ian Rathbone and pick his brains on ruling-pen lining techniques, which has filled me with some more confidence to try things.

I also acquired two new road vehicles for Linton Town (rather nicely built Langley kits of a Hansom cab and a Brougham) which are undergoing some very minor paint touch-ups. 

20231129_211947.jpg

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Goodness, where did the last month go? Unfortunately mostly not spent working on Linton Town, that's where. That's not to say that no modelling has happened, though. 

A filament 3D printer has appeared, from a Black Friday sale, and I've been playing with that a fair bit. The first project was a lever frame for the layout, designed with mechanical interlocking in mind. The first prototype works fairly well, being an almost to-scale model of a Saxby & Farmer frame, although the levers are a little bit flexible sideways, and a little bit close together for 1:1 scale fingers to operate, so I may have to play fast and loose with proportions. 

20231210_105517.jpg.cf00997df64c337746e0685683fc2c6d.jpg

I also gave in and bought one of the EFE LSWR D1410 vans, although it's been renumbered already and is awaiting some gentle weathering. The axleboxes are bothering me slightly, being rather wide for Panter boxes, but I'm not sure they're bothering me enough to do anything about at the moment! 

20231225_150507.jpg.affff6b953da1f4c03b1b81178c19a58.jpg

On the non railway front, I've made a start on a collection of model aircraft I've been thinking about for a while - a 1:144 collection of British-built jet airliners. There have been fewer than ten, so it feels very achievable, and I'm calling the collection "Comet to Concorde". The first entry is a Hawker Siddeley Trident (still under construction):

20231227_103413.jpg.b236cfc873777b1a12fcbe63ca6b6daa.jpg

And I've been feeling rather queer lately - I bought a kit for a modern overhead EMU... A ScotRail class 334 from CMAC Models. This will end up as 334006 "Pride of ScotRail" for the club's Haymarket layout. 

20240103_142403.jpg.acc3de52a789728f6a29f0724591246a.jpg
67ecb487f3b0a6c25257f373609fcb30-55.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

And I've been feeling rather queer lately - I bought a kit for a modern overhead EMU... A ScotRail class 334 from CMAC Models. This will end up as 334006 "Pride of ScotRail" for the club's Haymarket layout. 

20240103_142403.jpg.acc3de52a789728f6a29f0724591246a.jpg
67ecb487f3b0a6c25257f373609fcb30-55.jpg

Now, that livery is going to be a challenge!

Jim

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Now, that livery is going to be a challenge!

Jim

Fortunately, due to the wonder that is Freedom of Information Act requests... 

Untitled.png.8caaa0a55b6d4e3c665ae51552fe3c5f.png

Now if only we could get these for our pre-grouping liveries! 

Edit: The image I have is much higher resolution, but for some reason RMWeb keeps downsizing it!
image.png.40744418fceafc38ddc5da2edb01f136.png

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the whole of the Class 334 is primed, and paint has been acquired - a joint purchase by myself and another club member, as the minimum order quantity seemed enough to do several units! - so the next stage will be several coats of white on the ends before applying the warning panel yellow.

20240106_132140.jpg

In more pre-grouping news, though - a few models I have drawn up in CAD are now available as 3D prints through Oak Hill Works (thanks to @BlueLightning) - an LCDR open, an LSWR horsebox and open carriage truck, and an LBSC horsebox. Next going through the virtual workshop is an SECR (ex-SER) horsebox, to complete the "big three" Southern set:

c1fd9505-e40f-4c4b-894f-0058e2938bb7.PNG.697796700a0e680f893f42ec8104817d.PNG

Still to be added are dual brake pipes, brake levers (on one side pointing to the right, on the other to the left!), roof details (rain strips and oil lamp pot), some corner strapping on the headstocks, commode and grab handles, groom's compartment footsteps, hinges for the drop-door, various bolts along the bottom of the bodyside...

Work has kept me pretty busy much of the rest of the time, but I'm looking forward to Model Rail Scotland next month. Do come and say hi. I may still not have the purple hair, but this year I'll have a Rapido shirt on, with my name on!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2021 at 14:03, Skinnylinny said:

Anyone who tries to blow up my wagons will find themself at the end of my very short fuse!

The 3D printed wagon collection is definitely growing. Clockwise from middle rear: SER round-ended open (SR D. 1327); LSWR 5-plank open (SR D. 1309); LSWR Medium cattle wagon (SR D. 1508), LSWR open carriage truck, LSWR gunpowder van of 1900

3D_printed_wagons_2.jpg

Hi, I've just ordered a horsebox and a carriage truck through Oak Hill Works.  Is the LSWR Medium cattle wagon (SR D. 1508) going to be available as well? Thanks, Pete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

Hi Linny, 

Many thanks. I'll keep an eye on the @BlueLightning / Oak Hill Works website and order some if they appear.

Pete.

If/When they turn up I'll post about it on the Oak Hill Works thread, so following that should save you spending too much time having to check. I'd best be off now, got a horse box and a carriage truck to print!

Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Hi Pete,

The cattle wagon was designed quite a while back - I'm not sure if I've still got the files! I'll see what I can do though... 

If that's the D1508 LSWR cattle wagon, I have some old STL files of yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If that's the D1508 LSWR cattle wagon, I have some old STL files of yours.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to edit those to bring them in line with the newer stuff I've done, but they could still be helpful, if you wouldn't mind popping them over please? 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

I'm not sure if I'd be able to edit those to bring them in line with the newer stuff I've done, but they could still be helpful, if you wouldn't mind popping them over please? 

Thanks!

Will do

EDIT: If they do make production, I'd be up for one for Barnstaple Town

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the D1508 has finally been opened and edited a bit - it has now been sent off to @BlueLightning for a first test print to see what mistakes I've made that will only become obvious once printed. 

As this wagon was originally drawn up in SketchUp (before I started using Fusion 360), it was a bit of a challenge to get the brain cells working with the old software. That, and Fusion obstinately refused to import the STL files in any way that was even vaguely editable!

There are still a few bits that will need doing by the prospective builder - these wagons were vacuum pipes (although not fitted), but I have left this off this model as I can't figure out how on earth to draw them up in SketchUp. Fortunately an easy fix with parts from 51L, DMR etc. The brake pipes should be on the centreline above the coupling hook, with a bent vertical section of pipe. Something like this: https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/4mm-products/4-general/4-40447

image.png.b93623e723ff89c4d869a254300ebc6c.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

As this wagon was originally drawn up in SketchUp (before I started using Fusion 360), it was a bit of a challenge to get the brain cells working with the old software. That, and Fusion obstinately refused to import the STL files in any way that was even vaguely editable!

I'm delighted to read that you originally created this model in Sketchup Linny as Sketchup 8 is the only 3D modelling software I have managed to master and know how to use.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Annie said:

I'm delighted to read that you originally created this model in Sketchup Linny as Sketchup 8 is the only 3D modelling software I have managed to master and know how to use.

It's a very capable piece of software, but, like many things in life, there are some tasks for which other software is better suited. Complex curved surfaces are... rather fiddly in SketchUp!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

it has now been sent off to @BlueLightning for a first test print

It has been added to the to-do list, there are a few test prints to do this week, hopefully some new releases next weekend, we shall see how much time I get!

Gary

• Like 9

• Skinnylinny changed the title to Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Horsin' around...
  • RMweb Gold

They look great Linny. I have just received the same pair from Oak Hill Works. Thanks for designing them. And thanks for making them available, Gary.

Can I ask if they need some sort of cleaning/washing off before the primer? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

And then there were two...

20240208_093522.jpg

As for cleaning/washing off - I didn't need to on most of my prints from Gary, but one of them was still slightly tacky, so I poured some isopropanol into a small bowl, and used an IPA-wetted paintbrush to rub gently at the sticky bits. The horsebox was just primed then sprayed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

So the next iteration of the Saxby-and-Farmer-ish lever frame has started to come into existence... The lever design (and just as importantly, the supports for printing in such a way that the handle isn't horrifically mangled!) has now been finalised, and suitable springs, threaded rods and nuts have been acquired. Levers have been made slightly thicker, and spaced very slightly further apart for 304mm:1 foot fingers. It's all coming together!

Fortunately, Amazon offered a multi-pack of coloured filaments (black, grey, white, red, green and blue) which rather perfectly provide for my needs for the lever frame, so the levers are printed in self-coloured filament. The catch handles are printed in grey, and they and the handles then received two coats of Revell "steel" acrylic, and will soon gain a coat of varnish. The green isn't as turquoise as it appears in the photo, fortunately.

image.png.e3e7d790f080a86aa09a5a2188c0763d.png

Currently printing are some red signal levers, and then it'll be black levers, followed by a big batch of the black quadrants. There are still a few levers to go to build up the 20-lever frame (although I rather suspect lever 3 should be "Down Outer Home" rather than "Down Starter"...

image.png.17aca6f1b648783f7416aa7f7a94bdce.png

Next comes the mechanical interlocking. The idea is that the frame, while mechanically interlocked, will operate a bank of microswitches, meaning that the whole frame can be unplugged from the layout and connected either at the front or rear of the layout, depending on operational requirements. Heck, I might even have a plug at each end, on both front and back...

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Generally it's signals in order of approach - so distant - outer home - home - starter - advanced (or whichever subset of those you've got) for trains passing the box left-to-right, and the opposite for right-to-left trains.

Can you share a track plan?

• Like 3

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Indeed, 2 should be outer home and 3 home... if that were what I were doing. Somehow the lever frame spreadsheet had got out of synchronisation with the rest of the layout. This is the track plan, with lever numbers:

image.png.1055e0c50f26f8fa26036ccc244afd4c.png

The upper blue line being the down line (away from London) and the lower being the up line. This is the list of levers as should be: 

image.png.1811c4e29884699587f2cb4c62427e2a.png

Guess I'll need to start again on the interlocking diagrams... *sigh*

• Like 5