Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

What a fantastic job you have done on the A12 Jubilee Linny. Well done. Did you win a prize ?

Sorry to hear about your recent trouble what with fire and moving. Hope you get soon settled into your new abode.

All the best,

Chris

Thanks, Chris - I didn't end up winning the competition (only one prize) - there were many very worthy entries, so I don't feel bad for "losing" to a beautifully modified and repainted HST power car! It was rather bright in comparison though...

20230523_185256.jpg

I'm slowly unpacking and getting settled in the new place - at least the stressful part is now done!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable word day - five hours of steam haulage through London and Kent. We were expecting Mayflower on the front, but that was not to be - a less-modern engine (though still not my period of interest!) appearing instead:

20230711_121453.jpg

While out, I acquired the two HOn30 passenger cars, and the photos really don't do them justice. I'm very much looking forward to getting some paint on these. I also popped into Janes Trains in Tooting (between visiting two friends in London), where I acquired some 009/h0e/HOn30 points, enough to get started on the first module. It's a bit of a treasure-trove, with plenty of second-hand stock. I nearly left with some more RTR wagons for bashing, but remembered from the move that I have quite a lot of unstarted projects already that I probably ought to try to work on instead...

Still, on my way back home just now, and looking forward to some unpacking! And, goodness, maybe even some modelling at some point!

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

The HOn30 passenger cars are well on their way, although I need to assemble the end handrails from wire (after creating a suitable jig!), and I'm nearly happy with the painted finish, after which I can get on with glazing and repairing one or two glazing bars which didn't quite print correctly. I have also popped together a small bogie hopper which I've had sitting around for a while, so the stock is gradually growing. 

20230731_165147.jpg

I was browsing the Dundas Models website and found that they have just managed to get hold of some new stock of Minitrains "Fiddletown & Copperopolis" outside-frame American 0-4-0 tender locos in h0e, so one of those has also been ordered, which should (after changing the couplings!) give me a loco to pull this various stock. These locos are also quite sought-after for various 009 body kits, so if you've been looking for one, now might be the time!

image.png.ef6e5f4a9ef25674b94a1430257d6b90.png

Rather closer to home, I have just finished a David Geen whitemetal LSWR d1410 van. I already have a Cambrian plastic kit, but it has the later style of narrow planking, while the DG kit represents the earlier builds of these vehicles, thus being more suitable for Linton Town. I'm very fortunate to be temporarily looking after a layout bought by a friend, until he's able to come and collect it, so I have a nice backdrop for photos of 4mm stock. I'm sure this didn't encourage the build at all...

20230731_130834.jpg

Looking at that photo, it looks like the roof has shifted towards the far end of the van while the glue was setting, so I will have to pop that off and re-seat it! Oh well... 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

20230731_130834.jpg

And to prove the old adage correct... today's announcement from Bachmann includes an LSWR d1410 from EFE. That being said, I don't like the running number choice personally - while 11111 is an appropriate number, it's... a little distinctive for my taste!

image.png.22c630423395832a8f999da4a264dcfd.png
Even so, I have to say I appreciate the offering of more RTR pre-grouping wagons, and I might have to get one in order to have a steel-underframed one to contrast with the wooden-underframed kitbuilt one. And as for the cross-country sets... That would look rather tasty behind my A12, or indeed behind the T9 if I ever complete it!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

That being said, I don't like the running number choice personally - while 11111 is an appropriate number, it's... a little distinctive for my taste!

But it's one up to you RTR designers, being a number difficult for the kit or scratch builder to do - there just aren't enough 1s on the transfer sheet!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

And to prove the old adage correct... today's announcement from Bachmann includes an LSWR d1410 from EFE. That being said, I don't like the running number choice personally - while 11111 is an appropriate number, it's... a little distinctive for my taste!

Those in glass houses...!
image.png.ecee4f9409bbb262f2d9a027af852936.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Fair point, @TurboSnail, well made!

In the search for something a little different, I've modelled another South Walian coal wagon, so we now have two slightly different ones. However, neither has their end-door latch mechanism modelled yet, so that'll have to be the next thing to happen to them!

4ae19d66-fba0-4803-a1ff-91b90dd9972e.PNG.802ed5635a0db26c6a7df78d5b58cc39.PNG
I don't really have much use for these on Linton Town that I can think of, but one might find its way there occasionally... 

In other news, the first HOn30 locomotive has arrived - that little Minitrains 0-4-0 tender locomotive, and it's really very cute! I can't wait to give it a run with the two carriages passenger cars. 

FCRR.png.daf2b6d64bf07f16fa29e1b818a320e0.png

The motor in the cab is a bit of a pity, but I imagine some suitably-grubby glazing, and a crew, will go a long way to disguising it. Also, the steam dome (with whistles and safety valves) protruding from the cab top implies a T boiler, which would thus be represented by the motor... 

Next step is deciding on a livery. I'm currently leaning towards a black loco and tender with silvered smokebox and a polished wooden cab.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Next step is deciding on a livery. I'm currently leaning towards a black loco and tender with silvered smokebox and a polished wooden cab.

Fantastic idea for a livery if you ask me 😛

2023-08-0310_40_22.jpg.f525201445e1e12b9d747c4d66229819.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

In the search for something a little different, I've modelled another South Walian coal wagon, so we now have two slightly different ones. 

Several years ago a fellow 2MMSA member asked me to do an etched kit for him for South Wales coal wagons.  He provided me with several photographs and drawings, all differing in details, with none of the drawings matching any of the photos! In the end we went for a 'generic' one which he could modify as he wanted.

Jim

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Several years ago a fellow 2MMSA member asked me to do an etched kit for him for South Wales coal wagons.  He provided me with several photographs and drawings, all differing in details, with none of the drawings matching any of the photos! In the end we went for a 'generic' one which he could modify as he wanted.

Jim

Indeed that's been what I've found - there's almost no two alike! That being said, I'm only doing these because they're fun and cute, much like the lead ore wagon. I have absolutely no reason for needing one of those, but it's adorable!

• Like 4

Well, the proposed livery has been applied to the American 0-4-0. I think picking out various details has made a big difference in terms of making it look less toylike and more like a model, as has the use of a couple of different textures (a very dark metallic gunmetal on the boiler has given it a nice sheen, while a matt black has made the running boards look a bit more grimy).

364214568_6400781276701751_1673426321700726122_n.jpg.acd385022c14763c11e2216dd2c59932.jpg

Still to go are adding glazing (which will be a fiddle as I can't figure out how to separate the cab from the chassis, so the motor gets in the way somewhat!), crew and some fuel in the tender (likely chopped-up matchsticks). I'm also pondering picking out the cylinder end caps in polished steel, just to give some tonal variation on the chassis. I'm pleased though - the loco is a lovely little runner, although being an 0-4-0 does require very clean track for smooth starts. The flywheel on the motor definitely helps though!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Heading back to the UK, at long last - work has started on converting that lovely Train Simulator 4-4-0 into a 3D-printable model for Linton Town. Yet to be decided are name and number for this beast, which surely must be one of the most prestigious locomotives of the company. 5'6" driving wheels should give it a lively turn of speed, and hopefully a handful of bogie carriages won't tax it too much.

GSR_4-4-0_v7_2023-Sep-03_02-58-03PM-000_CustomizedView32735296922.png.383ed8bf004399432d3e99583d2683b2.png

Currently name-wise I'm thinking of Lady Sybil Ramkin. There's a long way to go yet, but the locomotive is definitely taking shape. I'm not sure what to do for the tender - whether to go for the "standard" GSR tender (a chopped-about GBL SECR Wainwright tender) or to draw up the shorter tender as seen on the Train Simulator model. Then again, maybe that should become the "standard" GSR tender... 

I've drawn up Salter safety valves, but to be honest these will likely not be printed, being replaced with brass turnings, or possibly spring cases fabricated from brass rod and tube. Either way, I'd like them to be appropriately shiny, along with the smokebox-mounted lubricators and whistle. 

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Heading back to the UK, at long last - work has started on converting that lovely Train Simulator 4-4-0 into a 3D-printable model for Linton Town. Yet to be decided are name and number for this beast, which surely must be one of the most prestigious locomotives of the company. 5'6" driving wheels should give it a lively turn of speed, and hopefully a handful of bogie carriages won't tax it too much.

GSR_4-4-0_v7_2023-Sep-03_02-58-03PM-000_CustomizedView32735296922.png.383ed8bf004399432d3e99583d2683b2.png

Currently name-wise I'm thinking of Lady Sybil Ramkin. There's a long way to go yet, but the locomotive is definitely taking shape. I'm not sure what to do for the tender - whether to go for the "standard" GSR tender (a chopped-about GBL SECR Wainwright tender) or to draw up the shorter tender as seen on the Train Simulator model. Then again, maybe that should become the "standard" GSR tender... 

I've drawn up Salter safety valves, but to be honest these will likely not be printed, being replaced with brass turnings, or possibly spring cases fabricated from brass rod and tube. Either way, I'd like them to be appropriately shiny, along with the smokebox-mounted lubricators and whistle. 

I'm in love!!!

On 05/09/2023 at 16:18, Skinnylinny said:

Either way, I'd like them to be appropriately shiny, along with the smokebox-mounted lubricators and whistle. 

And, presumably, the injector clack valves and their copper pipes.  Where are the injectors?  In the cab?

Jim

I believe so! There's a lot of plumbing still to add yet. I have considered some brass clack valves, and copper wire is easily enough formed... 

Careful, Jim - you'll have me wanting to roll a boiler out of sheet soon!

Incidentally, may I pick your brain at some point about drive connections from a tender-based motor to a loco-based gearbox please?

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Careful, Jim - you'll have me wanting to roll a boiler out of sheet soon!

Incidentally, may I pick your brain at some point about drive connections from a tender-based motor to a loco-based gearbox please?

No, NO!  Brass tube for the boiler! 😉

I keep the driveshaft under the footplate out of sight.  That involves having a pair of gears in the tender to drop the drive down and the worm in the bottom of the firebox with the wormwheel on top and a gear-train from there to the driven axle.

Drawing of the arrangement of my 'Jumbo' 0-6-0

Drive.png.a6ea17acb8fd518afb768a2386641692.png

Numbers are the teeth in the gears, but that's for 2FS.  The driveshaft is a piece of 10thou steel guitar string with a loop on each end which fits in a slot in the end of the gear shaft in the tender and the worm shaft in the loco. The shafts end flush with their bearings, which stops the drive shaft falling out.  there is about .75mm end play in the driveshaft to allow for negotiating curves.  Note that the ends of the driveshaft must be within the wheelbases of the loco and tender.

This shows the bare chassis where you can just make out the driveshaft.  The springs take current from the loco frames to those in the tender and the while 'blocks' are the decoder and stay-alive circuitry at the front and the capacitors alongside the motor, both wrapped in PTFE tape for insulation.

03completedchassis.JPG.66320a7a0fd77538d7b04fa0de3b9c2d.JPG

The full build of my 417 class 2-4-0, which uses the same arrangement is detailed here.

Jim

• Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Note that the ends of the driveshaft must be within the wheelbases of the loco and tender.

Curiosity: why so?

And, especially in 2 mm FS where there's not much mass, what stops the tender drive spinning the engine off the rails?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Curiosity: why so?

It avoids the drive having to take up too tight an angle when going through an 'S', e.g. a cross-over.

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And, especially in 2 mm FS where there's not much mass, what stops the tender drive spinning the engine off the rails?

There's nothing to stop that happening, but , although there is a slight tendency towards it before the body is fitted, it doesn't happen.

This was the first run of the 0-6-0 chassis and there's no sign of any tendency for the loco chassis to spin on the driveshaft.  Lack of adhesion means it can hardly drag itself along, though!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 05/09/2023 at 16:18, Skinnylinny said:

I would love to see that with smokebox wing plates!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 06/09/2023 at 22:11, Caley Jim said:

It avoids the drive having to take up too tight an angle when going through an 'S', e.g. a cross-over.

There's nothing to stop that happening, but , although there is a slight tendency towards it before the body is fitted, it doesn't happen.

This was the first run of the 0-6-0 chassis and there's no sign of any tendency for the loco chassis to spin on the driveshaft.  Lack of adhesion means it can hardly drag itself along, though!

Jim

I have to admit, I hadn't thought of having the worm drive a wheel *above* it, then gearing downwards. That's an extremely clever approach! I am, of course, trying to work out a drive shaft for my HOn30 4-4-0, but that really wants driving on the rear axle (as the front one is so exposed with the bar frames), and the cab makes it rather tricky to have the gearbox any taller than the cab floor without intruding. Unfortunately, that seems to mean I'll need the drive-shaft end behind the coupled wheelbase, which you say is suboptimal. 

image.png.246cc835e836af05c4894d65c7f91f5c.png

I could possibly bring the worm forward into the firebox and drive a gear chain back to the rear driver. The difficulty being getting the axles and gears into place without them being visible from outside. Perhaps a slot-in gearbox, although I was hoping to fill the firebox with lead for low-down weight over the coupled wheelbase. Food for thought, thank you! 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Ideally, with a bogie tender, you want the tender end of the shaft behind the pivot of the front bogie.  I'm currently designing the chassis for a CR 900 class 4-4-0 (Dunalastair III) which has a 4125gal bogie tender.  I'm putting the motor 'back to front' to the arrangement for the Jumbo with the motor sitting over the front bogie and the gears between the bogies.

As far as the loco end of your 4-4-0 is concerned you could run the shaft just above the centre of the rear axle to a worm in the bottom of the firebox, worm wheel on top of it and then a gear train on one side from there back to the rear axle.  In 4mm you'll have much more space to play about with than I have in 2FS!

Hope that makes sense.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

In 4mm you'll have much more space to play about with than I have in 2FS!

Sadly not - this is HO scale (so 3.5mm), and narrow gauge on 9mm gauge track! However, point taken on moving the motor back a bit in the tender. I'm already struggling a bit for space due to using 3D printed frames rather than etching them, I don't think I could fit multi-stage gearing in too...

• Friendly/supportive 2