Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

You forget the fact that the model has an A1x boiler, Sir. As such you might be better off finishing it as an A1x.

Isn't that more a question of dome position rather than anything else once the smokebox is sorted.

You'll never make a silk purse out of this one, but I fail to see why a functioning A1 could not emerge 

The moral of the story is that we need better locos for such excellent wagons; I hope Linny's put in for a Goods Green E1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Wonderful. I quite forgot you had an open.  I must put in an order for these wagons, assuming you have them available?

So convincing, but their finescale looks do make the loco look positively toy-like in comparison!

It's made me think again about the Dapol/Hornby Terrier. I have one of these and the temptation remains to make something of it. Just remove the vacuum exhaust pipe and vac stands from the Terrier. Oh and cut back the smoke box and add a wing plate. Oh and remove the sandboxes beneath the valance. And add steam condensing pipes.  Amend the lettering to include an ampersand. It'll then look quite like A1 662 c.1909. But then you'd probably need a balloon trailer, not a goods train.

Very kind of you to say, thank you!

For all its faults, at least the forthcoming Hornby terrier appears (to me, at least!) more like a terrier. Bring on Stepney!

As regards an E1, given that the Goods Green liveried E1 that Model Rail are proposing to produce is 127 Poitiers, which is known to have worked the Horsham & Guildford line (you know, the one where the LSWR caused trouble for the LBSC trains terminating at Guildford, so the LBSC acquired running powers through Guildford to Linton to terminate instead?)... It would seem the answer is yet. Frustratingly, the other E1 I've been able to find details of working that line, 97 Honfleur is also being produced by Model Rail, but this one in Improved Engine Green! I shall definitely need to save up...

27 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Very kind of you to say, thank you!

For all its faults, at least the forthcoming Hornby terrier appears (to me, at least!) more like a terrier. Bring on Stepney!

As regards an E1, given that the Goods Green liveried E1 that Model Rail are proposing to produce is 127 Poitiers, which is known to have worked the Horsham & Guildford line (you know, the one where the LSWR caused trouble for the LBSC trains terminating at Guildford, so the LBSC acquired running powers through Guildford to Linton to terminate instead?)... It would seem the answer is yet. Frustratingly, the other E1 I've been able to find details of working that line, 97 Honfleur is also being produced by Model Rail, but this one in Improved Engine Green! I shall definitely need to save up...

Stick out for the Rails/Dapol one.

I guess we'll have to see - I'm more inclined towards the Hornby interpretation of the lining than the Dapol one (at least what's been shown in their livery drawings, and also their 7mm versions. If they end up going for that ghastly yellow colour that claimed to be IEG on their earliest LBSC liveried 7mm terrier I'll definitely be going for the Hornby one. Plus, I'm still nervous after their LSWR-liveried B4 which somehow lacked any lining at all!

Have we had any CAD images from Rails/Dapol yet?

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

You'll never make a silk purse out of this one, but I fail to see why a functioning A1 could not emerge 

Indeed!

IMG_20180328_210056.jpg.512c0cbb4eea3285c189d6820aef421a.jpg

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Stick out for the Rails/Dapol one.

Why?? What do you know??

Gary

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

What I do know is what will be coming off the laser next!

image.png.f0c09d3d44996ca8bb317903f0f5f040.png

An SER 8-ton van! Later given SR Diag. 1422, these vans were built between 1886 and 1902.

I seem to be having a bit of a rush of drawing at the moment. Now, time to draw up the end, then turn the drawings into a kit...

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

What I do know is what will be coming off the laser next!

image.png.f0c09d3d44996ca8bb317903f0f5f040.png

An SER 8-ton van! Later given SR Diag. 1422, these vans were built between 1886 and 1902.

I seem to be having a bit of a rush of drawing at the moment. Now, time to draw up the end, then turn the drawings into a kit...

Bother. I don't really have any excuse not to have one of these!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Watch out! After SER, LCDR and LSWR I'll need to look further afield. MR D.299, anyone? :P

Yes please ! I mainly model GWR & LNWR prototypes but I'll be wanting to add some of your models for variety. Any estimate on the cost of postage to the Great Southern Land of Oz?

Dave R. 

Oooh, no idea I'm afraid - I would have to take a parcel to the post office! Unfortunately at the moment I can only get access to the cutter at awkward times, and not really long enough to go back into production, but I'll be sure to post on here when I'm back up and running.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Metropolitan? Did someone say Metropolitan?! :D 

Pleeeeeeeeease! ;) 

I have drawings of the 8-wheeled coaches if you want a copy @sem34090

It also includes the 4-wheeled first/third pairs and the milk van brakes converted from the redundant 1st class 4-wheelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely making the most of this period of drawing ability. I'm staying late at the Hacklab tonight (as the laser cutter is still only available between 8pm and 8am) to test out the SER van. I still have to add the card parts, but the basic wooden parts seem to fit together OK!

IMG_20190208_214019544.jpg.1a46d7ed6565e22356f094632fb66d05.jpg

I still need to cut and attach the card parts, and tweak some of the assembly to get the strapping to match up on the corners. It's getting there. Oh, and the other side looks a bit weird to modern eyes - the brake lever is left-handed! There's actually a very neat little mechanism on the prototype that appears to unhook the lever on one side and bring it back in when the brakes are set on the other side. I drew the line at representing the actual mechanism, but did add the little brackets on the brake levers!

IMG_20190208_220716655.jpg.9b86916fcc8f229c0410a84cd7308a59.jpg

I'm trying to find a stronger material to make the brake gear etc out of, as I'm not convinced the MDF is really strong enough - I've been treating the wagons fairly carefully and still had a couple of breakages, especially of the single-shoe brakes. I'm also not sure if the framing is too chunky on this - I'm trying to see if I can get 0.75mm MDF instead of the 1mm, but no joy as yet.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

This is a good choice. I think dia. 1422 might have been unique in SER covered wagons in only having 2 end stanchions. This distinguishes your wagon from earlier wagons with 4 end stanchions.  The old K's whitemetal kit was of a 4-stanchioned SER van to a 9' w/b, making it, I suppose,  dia 1421, so it is good that there is no duplication here. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This is a good choice. I think dia. 1422 might have been unique in SER covered wagons in only having 2 end stanchions. 

Oh dear... biscuit vans. The ones in the linked photo are (a) ventilated - is that a different diagram? and (b) have an oval board at the RH end of the body - for chalked shunter's instructions?

Edit: I note that the version SERKits do in 7 mm scale is SR Dia. 1553, with four end pillars and only 8ft wheelbase, but still with four vents like the ones in the Huntley & Palmers photo. 

For myself, I'd be happy with laser-cut sides ends and solebars, sorting out the running gear etc. in other materials. "Horses for courses" is perhaps not the phrase of the day, but mixed-media anyway. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

This style of end, with the two uprights, seems to apply to 2 SER variants in fact - subsequently SR diagrams 1422 and 1420 - built over the same period, the essential difference is the increase in wheelbase from 9' to 9'4".

From what I can make out:

- Dia,1422  - 9' w/b, 10 built 1886

- Dia. 1420 - 9'4" w/b, 278 built 1889-1900 

- Dia. 1422 - 9' w/b, 320 built 1898-1902

The 1422s of 1886 seem to have been built with single block brakes to one side and were fitted with Laycock/torpedo roof vents and Mansell wheels. Further, only the earlier ones had wooden uprights to the ends.  Later ones seem to have had angle-iron stanchions. 

All these features seem consistent with the covered wagons pictured in your H&P photograph. 

However, all these features seem also to have been true of some early 1420s.  Some of these may have been built with single-side double-block brakes and others with vacuum brakes. 

This suggests to me that the vans at H&P in your picture are either 1422s or 1420s, depending upon whether they have 9' or 9'4" w/bs, with wooden end uprights and single-sided brakes [EDIT: actually I think the picture shows 8-brake blocked vac fitted vans, and that these are 1420s so fitted, see my post below]. 

What I am unable to shed any light upon are the oval plaques on the body sides. I am left wonder whether these were peculiar to vans engaged in H&P traffic.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2019 at 14:12, Skinnylinny said:

MR D.299, anyone? :P

I liked Mikkel's description of what you are doing as "democratisation" - making available obscure protoypes in small quantities; I doubt though that you would be able to compete effectively with a (relatively) mass produced injection-moulded kit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

This style of end, with the two uprights, seems to apply to 2 SER variants in fact - subsequently SR diagrams 1422 and 1420 - built over the same period, the essential difference is the increase in wheelbase from 9' to 9'4".

From what I can make out:

- Dia,1422  - 9' w/b, 10 built 1886

- Dia. 1420 - 9'4" w/b, 278 built 1889-1900 

- Dia. 1422 - 9' w/b, 320 built 1898-1902

The 1422s of 1886 seem to have been built with single block brakes to one side and were fitted with Laycock/torpedo roof vents and Mansell wheels. Further, only the earlier ones had wooden uprights to the ends.  Later ones seem to have had angle-iron stanchions. 

All these features seem consistent with the covered wagons pictured in your H&P photograph. 

However, all these features seem also to have been true of some early 1420s.  Some of these may have been built with single-side double-block brakes and others with vacuum brakes. 

This suggests to me that the vans at H&P in your picture are either 1422s or 1420s, depending upon whether they have 9' or 9'4" w/bs, with wooden end uprights and single-sided brakes. 

What I am unable to shed any light upon are the oval plaques on the body sides. I am left wonder whether these were peculiar to vans engaged in H&P traffic.

My gut feeling is that the c. 1900 date given by the Huntley & Palmers Archive can't be far out. The SER vans look to have been in traffic for some time but on the other hand there's no evidence of any SECR branding in any of this series of photos. So D1420 looks the more likely, unless one wants to suppose that the ten D1422 vans of 1886 were built specfically for, and retained on, biscuit traffic! 

• Agree 1