Northern Maiden's Paint-shed

I'm loving the distressing work you do, Rachel - very nice indeed! If I could be horribly picky for a nano-second, though; I know we go on at length about Scottish Region's distrust of accurate headcodes - beyond perhaps one appropriate character for the train being worked - but did this really go so far as to display a number in the second slot? wink.gif

Ok... so how on earth do you get eyesight that's good enough to complete those figures? Are you sure they're only 4mm and not 12" to the ft :rolleyes:?

Yup, I'm impressed! Thank you so very much for the step-by-step guide... I suspect that this may get refered to quite often... I know that I will I when I next have to tackle figures. Please keep posting... I'll be checking back often.

Jon

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm loving the distressing work you do, Rachel - very nice indeed! If I could be horribly picky for a nano-second, though; I know we go on at length about Scottish Region's distrust of accurate headcodes - beyond perhaps one appropriate character for the train being worked - but did this really go so far as to display a number in the second slot? wink.gif

Yep, you're right Chard... I actually adapted Heljan supplied headcodes (which had a number in the second slot:huh:) instead of referring to my photo (gives self slap on wrist).. however all fixed now :):

D5355small.jpg

Not meant to be a hijack (I could always have hijacked one of my Waverley threads!) but as I know you've a thing for Sad-eyes I thought you might like what's at the end of this link:

http://geoff-plumb.f.../p54612577.html

Very nice, thanks for that link :) ... I really must get back to finishing my Hornby 29/21 conversion.

• 4 months later...

Very nice, thanks for that link :) ... I really must get back to finishing my Hornby 29/21 conversion.

So, hard on the heels of your Type 2 starring on Picture of the Week, how's things? Moreover, how's the NBL coming along?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rachel,

Inspirational stuff - thanks for posting (and for your recent publication in the press). It would also appear we are near neighbours too! (I take it you are out on the peninsula looking at your posts),

Gus

Rachel,

Going back to the pic of your Cl 27, how much of the driver did you have to 'surgically remove' to get him to fit? The cab interior on my Heljan 27s leaves precious little space for a body :unsure:

Cheers,

David

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks for that link Pete.

So, hard on the heels of your Type 2 starring on Picture of the Week, how's things? Moreover, how's the NBL coming along?

Chard, the NBL has taken a backseat at the moment as getting Dunwoody Exhibition ready became a priority. To be honest Im thinking of building one from scratch over the winter...could all end in tears..lol.

Rachel,

how much of the driver did you have to 'surgically remove' to get him to fit? The cab interior on my Heljan 27s leaves precious little space for a body :unsure:

Cheers,

David

David, I removed everything from from his feet to above the 3/4 mark on his buttocks!

Couple of Parkside kits that I built and painted. The decals have still to be added.

First is a Parkside PMV which was a nice wee kit to put together. I added the window bars and Vac pipes as these aren't supplied and with both kits I attached instanter couplings.

post-6828-013341200 1289402966_thumb.jpg

Secondly is Parksides ex-LMS 20ton Brakevan

post-6828-042632200 1289403089_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments gents :)

Another kit built. This time a Parkside BR Fish Van which can be built/painted in a variety of guises (insulfish, parcels, departmental etc)

BluespotFish.jpg

Nice wee kit to put together although I added chains, vacpipes and seven extra roofing strips (evident on some prototype pics) to this one

Once again Rachel, excellent work - I really enjoy looking at your thread, as I said before, you have mastered the all important skill of mixed colours, which also shows up on the track and the layout.

I think without this attention to detail and the avoidance of strong primary coluors, which seldom seem right when scaled down in model form, a layout and stock lack the atmosphere to create a realistic scene.

You score high all on this, look forward to more posts.:rolleyes:

Jack

• 5 months later...

decals have still to be added.

Parksides ex-LMS 20ton Brakevan

post-6828-042632200 1289403089_thumb.jpg

Oh that is incredibly tasty. Inspiration for my pair that are just now sprayed in primer. Thanks Rachel for reappearing on another thread, which led me in turn to this. Excellent.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rachel,

Your detailing work nevers fails to amaze me - love the interior details in your signal box - now I never got around to adding the kitchen to my station but the kettle on the cooker is superb along with the telephone on the desk. The figure painting tips are very useful they certainly have a lot more life about them thatn what you normally see on layouts. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing so many tips on here they will certainly help me in the future on my own layout.

thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

cracking job on those three vehicles - no forget that - everything !!!

Seriously, that "blue spot" fish van is absolutely brilliant.

Great stuff Rachel and certainly inspiration for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of a paint and conversion job this one...  I wanted to represent 27002 when it worked the West Highland line, hauling timber P's amongst other things circa 1972 :)  By this time she'd her front doors plated and the yellow panel extended round the cab window sides but still retained the tablet catcher recesses.

For the project I chose a Heljan D5348 - removed the loco numbers and sanded down the detail on the "faces" of the cabs.  To obtain the smooth faced look of the prototype I decided to "plate" over the doors with 0.13mm thick plasticard the sides of which were filled and filed smooth. 

The fronts and window sides were then masked off, undercoated and sprayed warning yellow before weathering commenced... here is the state of play so far... still a wee bit to go but nearly there..

post-6828-0-95154900-1391438346.jpg

post-6828-0-82960000-1391438353.jpg

Archived