Cement wagon

farren

• RMweb Gold

Not sure were to put this. I'm after some of these wagons. I thought some one was going to produce them? But can't find any information about them now! What are they and where can I get some rtr kit or drawing of them.

I think you may have duplicated this thread. Not helpful, but just thought I'd let you know. But I would like to know where that photo was taken, as I might be able to find something for you. I looked up 'british rail cement wagon' on google and I found this.

APCM%208321%20%28LA21%29m.jpg

If this is the correct type, you're looking at something like this Gloucester RC&W 1962 built wagon. I found a link about this, and if you scroll about three quarters down the page you'll find a short history on this variety of wagon.

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/grcwandcement.htm

I saw the 'duplicate' and there's no photo attached, so I think keep this one.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, GRC&W's records are held at the Gloucestershire Archives under reference D4791. You might find something there.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

Farren, there have been several types of wagons built over the years, an image of which one you are asking about would help?

Tim T

There was an image there before... It had Two Tone Green Class 24's (or 25's) double heading a rake of wagons which I believed to be the the type I posted.

The picture shown in post#2 is a CEMFLO which were used (probably not exclusively) for traffic between Cliffe in Kent and Uddingston near Glasgow via the ECML with Class 33 haulage. A model was produced by Tri-ang/Hornby many years ago but still to be found at Swapmeets.

Tri-ang also produced a caricature of a PRESTWIN wagon which looked as if it was shortened to fit their standard chassis.

Hornby Dublo produced a PRESFLO wagon which passed to Wrenn and is currently produced by Dapol.

Airfix made a kit for a PRESTWIN wagon, noe made by Dapol.

Bachmann made a PRESFLO a few years ago.

Bachmann have also announced a PRESTWIN wagon but not out yet. It is supposed to be a different diagram to the Airfix kit.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry don't know were the photo as gone so here it is again. I have just brought a Heljan 26 and 27. And was told that the 33s could also be seen on a cement working on the MML. Hence the question about the cement wagon. Cliffe-Uddingston cement working.

post-12485-0-97844700-1517238780.png

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

Sorry don't know were the photo as gone so here it is again. I have just brought a Heljan 26 and 27. And was told that the 33s could also be seen on a cement working on the MML. Hence the question about the cement wagon. Cliffe-Uddingston cement working.

So now we have the picture Poor Old Bruce has provided the answer!

I would add that the photo is of Peterborough, which is not on the MML,

Ref. Prestwins- they weren't used for cement traffic. The Hornby Dublo (and Triang-Hornby) ones were based on the first Diagram, which was on a 10' wheelbase underframe (the later one was 12'), and consequently higher to give the same capacity.

• RMweb Gold

I had a feeling the surch was not of MML but was after a better picture of the wagons themselves. Thank you all for you help. Cheesysmiths that link looks a good starting point. Now to get some wagons.

The locos pictured are Class 33s, not 26s or 27s. They normally worked only a far as north as York.

Some of those diesel classes confuse me, and my memory obviously didn't serve well either!

EDIT: (Although I did actually say 24's and 25's, but I just realised that was directed at farren)

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

Although Class 40's were the normal motive power for the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains north from York it wasn't unknown for double headed Class 26's to perform this duty, even a single one on the return empties. I've seen a photo of a single Class 26 on one of these at Dunbar which was pretty near to the Oxwellmains cement works which was also using these Cemflow wagons well up until the late 1980's when they were confined to shorter trip workings.

Although Class 40's were the normal motive power for the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains north from York it wasn't unknown for double headed Class 26's to perform this duty, even a single one on the return empties. I've seen a photo of a single Class 26 on one of these at Dunbar which was pretty near to the Oxwellmains cement works which was also using these Cemflow wagons well up until the late 1980's when they were confined to shorter trip workings.

26s would probably have got the empties as far south as Tyne but there wouldn’t be the traction knowledge to work them south from there. There could, of course, have been a driver kicking about at Tyne who had transferred south from Scotland and still knew them but it’s a bit of a stretch.

OK so I now know what. Thank you very much. I take it theres no kit.

Correct but, as I said, Cemflos can be found RTR from swapmeets although they may need fettling and repainting which you would have to do to a kit anyway.

p.s. Edit to add that there is no drawing shown in my listing. There should be a wagon diagram somewhere though to give you basic dimensions.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Correct but, as I said, Cemflos can be found RTR from swapmeets although they may need fettling and repainting which you would have to do to a kit anyway.

p.s. Edit to add that there is no drawing shown in my listing. There should be a wagon diagram somewhere though to give you basic dimensions.

PC001 on here http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRPOWagons1Issue.pdf might be of use.

There a couple of other threads on here that deal with cemflos. These are certainly worth a look, there's quite a bit of information.

I've modified a number of the old Hornby wagons and it's not for the faint hearted. It can work out quite expensive if you do a complete job.

• Like 1

The mention of 33s on cement trains on the MML probably refers to the Luton Bute St trains, I believe they ran from Northfleet but not 100% certain on that. Luton must have been an interesting place, at least in MML terms, it attracted Eastern 31/ 37s on the Beckton - Wellingborough coke, 33s on the cement and Westerns on the Merehead - Leagrave stone. Plus of course the usual MML fodder.