Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

Anybody remember that absolute frantic inanity called 'In Da Bungalow' hosted by Dick and Dom who were even more despicable than Ant and Dec which was a children's show on BBC which was just fine for kids  until the idiots to be had  the nerve to throw Dick and Dom in your face by airing it later at 6pm in case adults would like see to  those two mega annoying idiots ruin your day ?

Imagine, hubby just home from a hard days work to be greeted by his wife " Hello darling, you're just in time to see Dick and Dom in 'In Da Bungalow' !!

Allan.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

I admire Laura Kuenssberg - very able, very professional and does not deserve the terrible bad mouthing she gets.

Don't share the dislike of poor Tomasz Schafernaker - human with a good twinkle in his eye. A cult hero!

Also enjoy Jon Sopel with his very obvious contempt for Trump

Dislike very few, but Chris Evans usually has me switching off along with Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell

Julia Bradbury doesn't do it for me (but then I'm certain I don't do it for her!)

• Like 1

My personal Top 10 TV presenters

7. Stewart White

Blimey is Chalky White still telling Norfolk and Suffolk about the latest cat up a tree emergency from Norwich Library? Used to be a continuity announcer with Central in Birmingham before teaming up with Suzy Totty-Wotty in Norwich.

Talking superannuated local TV presenters I was amazed to see Bob Warman still presents ITV Central News from their Broad Street broom cupboard, I thought he would be dead by now given he began life with ATV. Mind you he definitely was showing his age in HD.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 2

Almost all football pundits, who, apart from loving the sound of

their own voices, think that football results are somehow really

important and therefore have to be shouted at the poor deluded

viewers of the so called sport (it's not, it's just a business).

Best description of this by Bill Bailey: Tinselworm

https://watch4hd.com/movie/bill-bailey-tinselworm/

about 6 mins in, but it's worth watching the whole thing!

Edited for spelling

This link set off all sorts of alarms re viruses on my well protected Mac.  Tread carefully....

• Like 1

Anybody remember that absolute frantic inanity called 'In Da Bungalow' hosted by Dick and Dom who were even more despicable than Ant and Dec which was a children's show on BBC which was just fine for kids until the idiots to be had the nerve to throw Dick and Dom in your face by airing it later at 6pm in case adults would like see to those two mega annoying idiots ruin your day ?

Imagine, hubby just home from a hard days work to be greeted by his wife " Hello darling, you're just in time to see Dick and Dom in 'In Da Bungalow' !!

Allan.

I thought it was hilarious. Inane and childish, but I like a bit of that.

Strangely I can't stand the top gear/ grand tour bunch (May on his own is a different matter, I don't mind him), and they are also inane and childish.

Richard Ayoade is really good, though he's more of an actor so I don't know how much is actually him...

• Like 1

This link set off all sorts of alarms re viruses on my well protected Mac.  Tread carefully....

Interesting, I used BING, and this was the first to come up

without any warnings, I watched it last night with no problem.

C.Balding who is in my view

overexposed over opinionated and  overly prone to"knowledgeable" comment about things she clearly knows very little about (Allegedly).

Too much of her chatting whilst stuff is clearly going on at the event behind her.

Edited by robert17649

Interesting, I used BING, and this was the first to come up

without any warnings, I watched it last night with no problem.

Just tried again to be sure.  Clicking on the link does take you to the Bill Bailey page, but then clicking on play, takes you to a whole set of parallel pages which have nothing to do with the site.  The first time it brought up all kinds of virus warnings similar to ransom ware, so I closed it down.  Tried again a few minutes ago and again, each time I pressed play it brought up a different set of pages.  Closing that parallel page down, does take you to the Bill Bailey video.

As I said, just tread carefully, because you have no idea what's running in the background from these parallel pages.

I have come across a few of them in the real world and in general find them rather boring.

However Bill Hamilton the former BBC reporter recently gave a talk at our local U3A and he had every one in stitches at his jokes and enthralled by his behind the scenes stories. I came away with a very different perspective on a couple of well known historical events. His jokes were as good as any comic could produce. I posted one on here and it got about a dozen likes.

Nick Crane was a member of a cycling club I belonged to at one time and off air he could tell a good tale, as well as being a decent chap. However on Coast I find him a bit cringe worthy at times.

Bernard 

• Like 1

A vote here in support of Tomasz Schafernaker.  He proved that he is human the day he threw up on air while reading the shipping forecast.

Auto suggestion?

I don't know who Tomasz Schafernaker is but I hope he never goes near a boat!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of good people mentioned so far on this thread but another I like is Guy Martin. For me he lets the subject of his programs dominate a bit like David Attenborough (compared to some other presenters whose egos seem to overpower and be central to the program)

• Like 1

I have come across a few of them in the real world and in general find them rather boring.

However Bill Hamilton the former BBC reporter recently gave a talk at our local U3A and he had every one in stitches at his jokes and enthralled by his behind the scenes stories. I came away with a very different perspective on a couple of well known historical events. His jokes were as good as any comic could produce. I posted one on here and it got about a dozen likes.

Nick Crane was a member of a cycling club I belonged to at one time and off air he could tell a good tale, as well as being a decent chap. However on Coast I find him a bit cringe worthy at times.

Bernard 

Ah, Bill Hamilton, a former neighbour and friend - nice guy. He was maybe 6 years older than me but as a great football enthusiast, kindly took me as a youngster to alternately Dundee and Dundee United games on a Saturday afternoon (the grounds were within easy walking distance and fixtures were such that two teams were rarely at home on the same day), that is until my maternal grandfather found out and took me to Dundee reserves games on some alternate Saturdays. Bill became the youngest ever football referee in Scotland at the time aged 14.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bernard

I think it's always worth keeping in mind that famous people have a public face and a private face and that whether or not they're deeply irritating on TV, radio or film shouldn't be taken as signifying the same about their private persona. Politicians are the same, many of them seem completely different people in private and whether or not I like their politics most of them seem to be intelligent and well intentioned people.

• RMweb Premium

Hate- keith Lemon, Piers Moron, Chris Evans, Noel Fielding.

Like- quite a few too many to list!

Mark

I forgot moron

As to good ones, I forgot Dara O'Briain (sp)

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention James May - I really enjoy his hands on approach to the subjects he's enthusiastic and knowlegeable about, either in or out of Top Gear. He owns a P6 so he must be alright!

On the fence and tipping over into urine boiling annoyance- Charlie Stait and Naga Munchetti on the Beeb - sometimes I find them both so patronising and condescending, to the point of utter loathing.

I mentioned him.

Other two are good, but James is just a good TV presenter.

That said the Brunel programme by Jeremy was excellent, as were his war documentries.

Sorry Richard you are just that little bit loud.

But I did subscribe to Amazon for these 3.

Is it my imagination or has no-one mentioned this creature yet?

Jeremy-Kyle-viewers-fall-in-love-with-se

Don't know anything about him

• RMweb Premium

Not a presenter as such but I cannot stand the media's go to guy for a 'Railway Expert' that is Christian Wolmar....

He has been like it since Rail Enthusiast changed name and market placement and got him in.

Went from favourite magazine to boring over about a year.

Dislikes

Victoria Coren Mitchell - why? to me she comes across as smug and self satisfied

Keith Lemon

Laura Kuenssberg

Michael Parkinson

Anita Rani

David Attenborough

Chris Packham

Neil Oliver

John Arlott (I know it's been a while, but even so, he and Jim Laker were the voices of cricket on the tv.

Mark Nicholas

• RMweb Premium

My personal Top 10 TV presenters I cannot stand:

1. Tomasz Schafernaker 

2. Jeremy Vine

3. Piers Morgan

4. James Corden

5. Jeremy Kyle

6. Ant and Dec

7. Kirstie Allsopp 

8. Holloby Willoughby

9. Tomasz Schafernaker

10. Kay Burley

And in the interests of fairness here are my Top 10 presenters I respect:

1. David Attenborough

2. Julia Bradbury

3. John Craven

4. Dara O'Brain

5. James May

6. Robert Winston

7. Stewart White

8. Peter Snow

9. Dan Snow

10. Dick Strawbridge

Some I know little of, but the amount of likes David Attenborough gets is good.

Almost all football pundits, who, apart from loving the sound of

their own voices, think that football results are somehow really

important and therefore have to be shouted at the poor deluded

viewers of the so called sport (it's not, it's just a business).

Best description of this by Bill Bailey: Tinselworm

https://watch4hd.com/movie/bill-bailey-tinselworm/

about 6 mins in, but it's worth watching the whole thing!

Edited for spelling

I get annoyed by people assuming we all know who they are.

• RMweb Premium

Worth millions, hated by millions, screwed up the new Top Gear. As expected he would with his corny, childish approach.

Allan.

First time I ever missed a series, watched episode one and that was too much.

• RMweb Premium

Anybody remember that absolute frantic inanity called 'In Da Bungalow' hosted by Dick and Dom who were even more despicable than Ant and Dec which was a children's show on BBC which was just fine for kids  until the idiots to be had  the nerve to throw Dick and Dom in your face by airing it later at 6pm in case adults would like see to  those two mega annoying idiots ruin your day ?

Allan.

Sorry but Dickanddom is a lot less irritating than Antanddec.