The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

Barry wasn't as good as Reg Prentiss.

Don't you mean Reg (there's blood on my overalls) Prescott?

"How to Ruin a Victorian Door" Although you could argue it was conserved for future generations. (The Bucknall theorem),

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Any ex Racing drivers. No one could ever follow Murray (make your budgies bounce with health!)

P

James Hunt was excellent , totally politically incorrect and knew what he was talking about as was Murray 90% of the time !!

Portillo is good at what he does, the rest need dynamite slotting into a exclusive position !! As to what they get paid WHY ??

Keith Lemon (ok, i know he's playing an exaggerated character). I cannot stand anything he does. Even a trailer for whatever rubbish he's on has me leaving the room.

And as for Piers "Morgan" Moron...

And a special shout out for Steve Wright when he does his Sunday nausea show which I am occasionally subjected to.

Being more positive, I like Danny Bowes on planet rock (actually most planet rock presenters are pretty good), and I might be in a relatively small group in thinking that the new Bake Off group are better than when it was on BBC. Sandi Toksvig is a refreshing change on QI, too.

Like - Dr.Alice Roberts, Sir David Attenborough, James Burke, Raymond Baxter, Alan Wicker.

Loath - Paul O'Grady, Laura Kuensberg, Russell Brand (not a presenter really but so bloody annoying, not really a what I'd call a comedian either). There are countless others but life is far too short...!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

The only TV show I watch nowadays is the Grand Tour so I really can't comment on contemporary TV presenters. I do however despise Russell Brand and Jonothan Ross.

I was just saying to my wife this weekend that the only reason we should continue paying for a TV licence is to that on balance the inevitable harassment from the licence gestapo would be more objectionable than just paying the TV tax.

• RMweb Premium

Like:  Alice Roberts and Fiona Bruce (c'mon, chaps, don't we all?)

Dislike so that i have to leave the rooms when she's on (honest): Jackie Bird (you're spared her south of the border).

DT

I'm a miserable old git, and so I don't like any of them. They all seem to be well up themselves, and are massively overpaid. 

Mind you I don't watch most of the shows that the worst ones are on. 10 seconds is about all they get before I switch over. 

Most panel shows are bearable, and Sandi Toksvig I can cope with on QI and Dara O'Briain on Mock The Week. 

Being more positive, I like Danny Bowes on planet rock (actually most planet rock presenters are pretty good)

Alice Cooper takes it for me, I do love his fun and freaky facts. Also like the way he'll be reeling off a story, casual as anything, then you realise the other person in the story is even more famous than him. So unpretentious, just a bloke chatting and playing a few tunes.

The Hairy Biker's show is suprisngly good radio, too.

Jo

Davina McCall.

Mouth on a stick.

USA

Lori Allen. Robin Gibbs. Monte Durham. Flori Waters and all and any of the rich bitch mothers with their 'the World's all about me' daughters that appear  on 'Say Yes To The Dress, Atlanta.

All part and parcel of the great American pastime of get wed today for thousands, get divorced tomorrow for millions.

Allan

Oh, and I'll never forgive that totally naff Noel Edmonds for pushing that inane and despicable Mr Blobby in my face every Saturday night then going on to make three million quid out of it with after sales marketing while thousands watching it were about to be repossessed because they couldn't afford to keep up their mortgage. 

Edited by allan downes

He annoyed me on some quiz when he asked what sport "Oola Oolsen was a 3 time world champ". One of the options was speedway & I am a big fan of that so it couldn't be that one..could it?

It was Ole Olsen! I know than name very well. It is pronounced Olly Olsen though. Never forgave him for that one....

It's possible that he was actually right. There's a long tradition of English (and probably British, but I don't know for certain) people mispronouncing Scandinavian names.

Jan Molby's name is generally pronounced "Moll-bee" in the UK, but should be "Murl-boo". The local news reporters here pronounced former Everton goalkeeper Thomas Myhre's name as "My-rer" for several years before having a stab at the (apparently more authentic) "Moor-er", only to give up in the face of listener complaints and go back to the old way.

I don't know about Ole Olsen, but unless you know 100% that it's pronounced a certain way, you might just have encountered someone showing off his knowledge of correct Danish pronounciation.

Alternatively, you might have encountered someone showing off his knowledge of another Scandinavian language and assuming that they're all the same.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about Ole Olsen, but unless you know 100% that it's pronounced a certain way, you might just have encountered someone showing off his knowledge of correct Danish pronounciation.

Around these parts when I was a teenager his name was pronounced GOD and still is to us Bees fans !  ;) 

• Like 1

Fanny Haddock....I swear she was embalmed!

Hate.....anyone of the alleged 'presenters' on whatever the ITV lunchtime dross prog is for laydees.

No one of any particular talent or ability although one stands out for 2 good reasons.

Love.....Uncle Jonny Noakes, Bob Symes and yes good old pipe smoking Jack Hargeaves........and his lessons on whittling for lads.

Her husband Johnny used to like it when her dumplings boiled over........(Round the Horne, 1965)

• Like 1

Who was that guy with the obviously permed curly hair who used to shout ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY !!!  every time any player would hit three sixties in World Darts ?

Couldn't stand him.

Allan

Do you mean Tony Green?  

• RMweb Gold

Pardon me. The one exception. Anyone who could'nt give a f*ck and used an Austin A35 van as daily transport rates highly in my book.

That also describes my brother, Ray......

We took his elderly 803cc A30 saloon with a stove-in door to the local breakers to get a non-stove in one only to find that the source would be a much newer 1098cc A35 van with the opposite door stove in. It had just come in and even had some tax left on it. A bit of horse trading and some light spanner work saw us leaving in the van, fitted with the good door off the A30 for remarkably little money.

He got several years of good service from the old thing and used to take a workmate, Gordon, sadly no longer with us, to the garage where they both worked. One morning Ray asked Gordon if he could hear a rattle. Cue much merriment "the whole thing is full of rattles" said his passenger. "Yes, but that's a new one" replied Ray.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3