Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

• RMweb Premium

I must be unusual, I don't have likes and dislikes in TV presenters, mainly because I don't watch the evil eyed beast, it's often on when I'm in the room but I do my best to ignore it. Do I feel I'm missing out? Not by what I read in the papers and other media

I've no idea who a lot of the names in this thread are. And I'm in no hurry to find out.

Once upon a time there were a lot comments like the previous post when criticising TV was accepted as a fair sport. That was a long time ago and while a lot of television is not worth the licence, one would miss a lot by ignoring it. A lot of programming could be recommended especially even over here without the licence fee, where a lot is a disaster but if one carefully checks the schedules, then one can learn a lot. A shame to miss out for no apparent reason.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I lost the habit of watching TV when I was at sea and after I left the sea I just never went back to it. Part of it is if there is no TV you find other things to take an interest in, part of it is if you look at TV without the baggage of expectation and history I think you see it quite differently. I did watch a few programs but I never went back to having the TV on as a default. That said I still watch movies on my TV, either blu ray or on-demand.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1

This thread is so interesting. Not so much for the inevitable lists of presenters/celebs, but more for the reasons given. It explains an awful lot both about the penchant for 1950's nostalgia in modelling, but also about something we should not mention.

But, s0d it.

I completely accept the personalities of various presenters will get a mixed reaction, as is shown. But some more recent posts have veered into politics, and assume bias, because the presenter, or indeed entire channel, is not putting their beliefs into a more positive light. There is absolutely no doubt that those of the opposite persuasion, think much the same of the same presenters, journalists and channel. Which means they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, which is to hold people in authority to account. If you want a society in which the media only supports its rulers, but you also think that Britain was right to fight two world wars against dictators, you seriously need mental help.

SORRY Mike,  your right and that was my fault, I was just having one of my RANT moments. No more political incorrectness from me mate.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Being away for several months made me realise just how little of the news really matters too. I'd come back after four or five months (when I was on box boats) or six or seven weeks (when I was on offshore vessels) and it was like I'd never really been away yet I knew that every day had probably brought some new existential crises in the news. There have been a handful of genuinely big stories in my life (such as 9/11, the decision to invade Iraq, the financial crises, Brexit), most of it is a storm in a teacup of interest to news junkies and those directly affected but of limited consequence for most people.

Edited by jjb1970

To keep up with current affairs, both national and global events, to be informed and abreast of a range of topics along with some comedy and drama you can't beat Radio 4. I thoroughly recommend it. 

Guy

• Like 1

To keep up with current affairs, both national and global events, to be informed and abreast of a range of topics along with some comedy and drama you can't beat Radio 4. I thoroughly recommend it.

Guy

Possibly but I've got to the stage of feeling that whatever I think or do will make no difference in the great scheme of things, so I just pick up on the odd news items on the radio, usually Planet Rock, or in whatever newspapers I happen to pick up while at work.

Most current affairs and global stuff I find thoroughly depressing, all pointing to one inevitable outcome that mankind will destroy the planet eventually.

Let's face it, it only takes a couple of d#*kheads in two opposing governments to decide they're not going to take any more........ Precious little the proverbial man in the street can do about it.

Depressing point of view, yes it most certainly is, and I have no wish to be reminded about it on an almost hourly basis.

Sorry if this is too political, if the mods are unhappy with it please remove.

• RMweb Premium

To keep up with current affairs, both national and global events, to be informed and abreast of a range of topics along with some comedy and drama you can't beat Radio 4. I thoroughly recommend it.

Guy

I think radio 4 and radio 4xtra are the best argument for supporting the BBC. I love listening to those stations although I listen more for the comedy, drama and documentary shows than the news

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to the OP:

Anyone who has a speech impediment.

I have every sympathy with folk who have any sort of speech disability but to employ them on TV where diction is quite important seems foolish.

My Dad returned home from working abroad in 1994, he put the TV on for some national news and sat through various presenters with regional accents, after about 10 minutes of quizzical looks he looked at me and said "What language are they speaking"

• RMweb Premium

My Dad returned home from working abroad in 1994, he put the TV on for some national news and sat through various presenters with regional accents, after about 10 minutes of quizzical looks he looked at me and said "What language are they speaking"

I once had to employ the abroad method of finding a price in the UK, Newcastle station.

I could not understand a word they said in the cafe.

• Like 2

Victoria Derbyshire is almost the worst, she asks a question, and then before the question is answered she RUDELY INTERRUPTS, and starts arguing without hearing half the answer. 

Must be a relation of Johnathon Ross. Also Terry Wogan was well known for that where such like people would rather hear their own voices than the voice of the person they are questioning. In fact, if they had their way, they wouldn't have a guest at all - just a wall to talk to.

Allan

• Like 1

One thing I'll also never get is on S4C everything's always in South Welsh. The majority of the Welsh speaking population speak North Welsh. I'm currently watching Craith which is based around Bangor, and in the same family you have 2 people speaking North and 2 speaking South Welsh. The northerners I can understand but the southerners may as well be speaking Urdu. 

One thing I'll also never get is on S4C everything's always in South Welsh. The majority of the Welsh speaking population speak North Welsh. I'm currently watching Craith which is based around Bangor, and in the same family you have 2 people speaking North and 2 speaking South Welsh. The northerners I can understand but the southerners may as well be speaking Urdu.

Glad I'm not the only one who picked that up! I've learnt Welsh mainly from tutors who speak iaith y Gogs and apart from the obvious ones like "bant", "moyn" and of course "llaeth" mewn "disgled" I struggle with the rest. I've a friend who is a first language Welsh speaker who also struggles with the Southern dialect, so it's not just me being a second language Welsh speaker/learner.

By the way have you been watching the repeats of "Cledrau Coll" on S4C, with HTV's own gricer in chief Arfon Haines-Davies exploring closed Welsh lines? Good programme.

• Like 2

Could never take my eyes off of Wogans hair.......best combover on the tele!

I've never had a telly for years but such is the power of the media you can't help but have the odd "Celebrity" shoved in yer face.

I used to do spot the comb-over but now I've taken to Knasher watching.

Suddenly celebs seem to have taken to teeth replacement jobs en masse. Not only that, but they all seem to be replacing their original ivories with two sizes larger than original.

Their upper lips now protrude so far you could stand a pint pot on them if they would stop talking for a few seconds. Pronouncing their S's becomes quite dithtinctive after paying for this bridgework "improvement".

Dennis Waterman, James Cosmo. Susie Wolf etc., etc., etc.

They all look like they've borrowed Larry Graysons dentures.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Glad I'm not the only one who picked that up! I've learnt Welsh mainly from tutors who speak iaith y Gogs and apart from the obvious ones like "bant", "moyn" and of course "llaeth" mewn "disgled" I struggle with the rest. I've a friend who is a first language Welsh speaker who also struggles with the Southern dialect, so it's not just me being a second language Welsh speaker/learner.

By the way have you been watching the repeats of "Cledrau Coll" on S4C, with HTV's own gricer in chief Arfon Haines-Davies exploring closed Welsh lines? Good programme.

Well there's something I've learnt today; the Welsh language having such diverse dialects that one group can have great difficulty understanding the other.

I was once in Namche Bazaar in Nepal and the young lady where I was staying spoke excellent English but with an unusual accent.

Talking to her I discovered she had been to Bangor University.

Bernard

Sounds a bit too like England to me, and for that matter, Scotland......I have no idea about Northern Ireland, but I do know this. When my wife was asked whether she wanted a poke, in an ice cream emporium in Belfast, it took several grown adults to persuade her not to call for the Chief Inspector's best men......

Edited by Mike Storey

• RMweb Gold

This thread is so interesting. Not so much for the inevitable lists of presenters/celebs, but more for the reasons given. It explains an awful lot both about the penchant for 1950's nostalgia in modelling, but also about something we should not mention.

If you want a society in which the media only supports its rulers, but you also think that Britain was right to fight two world wars against dictators, you seriously need mental help.

I would be interested to hear what your alternative to the two world wars would be.  For one this forum would probably not exist for you to express your views.

Mike (Probably one who needs mental help.)

I find most interviewers to be highly annoying these days. It seems that all sports people are bound by contracts to have some kind of media interaction immediately after a performance. 

Why TV people think sticking a microphone in the face of someone who has just run 10000 metres (and has difficulty standing, let alone answering such 'profound' questions as "can you describe your feelings right now?") is an entertaining phenomenon, I will never know. 

Could I be allowed to add all live sports interviewers to the list?

In principle, I agree. However, since it's live, there's always the possibility of that kind of interview going off script. I've seen and heard some priceless moments!

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear what your alternative to the two world wars would be.  For one this forum would probably not exist for you to express your views.

Mike (Probably one who needs mental help.)

Eh? There was clearly no alternative to fighting WW2, and WW1 has its debate, but overall, appears to have been a defence of democracy. But have you actually understood the point I was making?

If not, it is this.

We (supposedly) fought in both instances, to preserve a society that allowed free speech. That means we preserved the right to criticise those things which displeased us, despite the thoughts of others. That means continuing to criticise the actions of a democratically elected government, or the decision of a democratic majority, without being labelled "unpatriotic" or "traitors". That is what our forefathers fought for.

Many seem to think that is wrong. You have questioned my understanding of why our ancestors fought two world wars. What is your view?

• Like 1