Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree 100%

Any movie that has "Mxxxxxker" in the first line of  dialoque gets instantly switched off in our house no matter who's in it, or how promising it may look.

It seems that most US movies today rely too heavily on this disgusting phrase  to make any impression at all.

Depends on cast and crew

Good point, I agree with you on that... Mrs Browns Boys (or whatever its called) falls into that category, though I suspect I will now get lots of people saying that it's brilliant... Different tastes, eh!

I don't like it, just not that funny.

Best sitcom at present I think is Not Going Out

VERY WELL WRITTEN

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys, am ambivalent towards Harry Hill, could never get Spike Milligan and never enjoyed Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's fraightfully middle clarse graduate humour. Above all that though I utterly detested Little Britain, the most unfunny, repetitive over-rated so called comedy of the recent past. It was a true Emperor's New Clothes type programme where if you wanted to be on trend you had to find it funny and talk about it in the office. Oh, and that was another so called comedy I couldn't stand, Ricky Gervaise is someone I would be glad if he never surfaced on any entertainment media ever again.

On bad language it doesn't really bother me for the most part, if the situation in which it is used is entertaining me. It's when some pretentious let's shock everyone pseudo-comedian (Simon Brodkin, I have you in my gunsights...)whose material is pathetic, lord-mayors his way through his set, that it becomes tedious. You can have good and bad clean humour, and you can have good and bad sweary humour. It's the quality of the material around the sweary bits and context that counts. Nobody but nobody will ever convince me that Peter Capaldi's bravura delivery of Armando Iannucci's Baroque swearfest scripts as Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of It" was un-necessary.

Peter Capaldi is an excellent actor with good comic presense. (And good as the Doctor)

Armando Iannucci is an excellent writer

OK as this is about the best as well as worst, in my opinion, the best new stuff on TV in the recent past by an absolute MILE, has to be 'Inside no 9'. Intelligent scripts, imaginative storylines, and twists you can't see coming. I think they're an absolute delight as well as being amazing, thought provoking and sometimes terrifying. Oh, and that Christmas special a couple of years back from the same stable, 'The Beast of Christmas', was the only stand out program that year amid the usual dross. I do hope they get some recognition for their clear and obvious talent.

Yeah, a brilliantly imaginative and creative series.

The two standout episodes for me were ‘The Beast of Christmas’ for the way they captured those 70’s TV drama production values, just spot on, and The Harrowing. The young house sitter told not to go upstairs whatever she hears and she certainly comes to wish she had heeded that instruction, an ending as horrific as the very best horror movie.

• RMweb Gold

Changing to presenters you like Martine Croxall seems rather nice to me and quite witty and even called Kings cross a railway station

Mind with all the late shifts she does probably a right grumpy cow on a morning!

Absolutely - but I have to qualify that by saying that only the original Fred Quimby ones are true classics, some of the later production was nowhere as good.

Jim 

Indeed. There is a marked difference in the quality of both the animation and the humour between the early material (1940s, early 50s) and the late stuff (1960s?), the former being very good and the latter a bit cringeworthy really.

If you want decent drama or comedy, I'm afraid we largely have to look to the US, I can't remember the last 'funny' UK comedy I saw.

I just do not like or understand American comedy.

I just keep watching the older UK sitcoms. Still fantastic to watch.

Keith

I just do not like or understand American comedy.

I just keep watching the older UK sitcoms. Still fantastic to watch.

Keith

Unfortunately some of the older TV sitcoms are totally unsuitable for modern broadcasting, e.g. Till Death us do Part, Love thy Neighbour and Mind your Language.  Oh yes and my mother and fathers favourite variety programme- The Black and White Minstrel Show

Jim

Unfortunately some of the older TV sitcoms are totally unsuitable for modern broadcasting, e.g. Till Death us do Part, Love thy Neighbour and Mind your Language.  Oh yes and my mother and fathers favourite variety programme- The Black and White Minstrel Show

Jim

Don't forget 'It Ain't Half Hot, Mum'

• RMweb Premium

I think American TV in general, not just comedy, has left ours behind. At least at the hih end, there is also a lot of junk on US TV but at its best the US TV shows are superb. One of my favourite TV comedies is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_and_Recreation

For anybody that hasn't seen it I'd recommend having a look, there is a character on it called Ron Swanson who is almost like a hero of mine.

Absolutely - but I have to qualify that by saying that only the original Fred Quimby ones are true classics, some of the later production was nowhere as good.

Jim

Absolutely right , superb animation and humour , particularly "Tee for Two"...

A masterpiece of a cartoon .....still has me doubled up with laughter.

• Like 2

Jim

It's funny, but when I was much younger and these shows were on the TV I never liked them. That was before I became "politically aware" and was more interested frankly in the buses taking me to school but I found Till Death Us Do Part too shouty, too common and too Cockney (I admit, I'm a Cockneyist), we seldom watched ITV comedy but when I did catch the odd episode of Love thy Neighbour I found it unfunny and too confrontational, and Mind Your Language was again too repetitive and in my view tried to hard, plus I thought the lead actor was a bit of a knob. Strange to relate that as my politics evolved I didn't find offence in these programmes as, rather like the bum'n'titty Carry Ons and On the Buses, they demonstrate clearly the attitudes of the time which thankfully we've moved on from, for the most part. As such they have their value in showing how casually racism and sexism were tolerated in the 1970s mass culture and how it enabled some very nasty behaviours to be carried on in society in an atmosphere that couldn't see how these behaviours could cause upset and longer term issues.

• Like 1