Manning Wardle long boiler scratchbuild

Sorry it's been so long - for some reason the wife thought the best use of 2 weeks off work was a holiday - all that modelling time wasted!

Anyway, pretty much done at last. I painted it before going away and forgot to take a photo before the weathering was added, just a spray of a dilute black, let down with some tan and light grey. The final touch was some weathering powders, then works plates (Narrow Planet), and number plates (A1). It was tricky giving it a works number as of course it didn't exist and the Narrow Planet Manning Wardle plates are clear enough to actually read the number, so I apologise if I've clashed with anyone's favourite loco!

WP_20180713_20_58_19_Pro.jpg.715ea7289e81cec563d8b9e2fcf39118.jpg

WP_20180713_21_01_25_Pro.jpg.65575ad184c7720e737167bdca29685c.jpg

WP_20180708_15_06_52_Pro.jpg.26e5bbad5309e9844d7972b5ef0fc138.jpg

WP_20180708_15_16_59_Pro.jpg.f67d55518a7d2ead52e1b09cdc19e3df.jpg

Interesting to see the height compared to the van here - it is a height restricted loco, which can be seen next to the main line engine, although the RSH saddle tank next to it is barely any higher:

I said at the start that the build should be quite straightforward, which was tempting fate, but it hasn't been too tough, and 6 months is quite good for me. Allow me to apologise for the vertical handrail on the tank, it should be as it is on 1whitemoor's similar Manning Wardle, ie only going from right side to top, not down the other side as well, but perhaps both sides was an optional extra ??! 

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 8

Thank you - I have an old Hornby Caley Pug which I plan to shorten and install onto a Branchlines chassis. Then it will be modified to represent one of the industrial Neilsons that survived in Coal Board use into the '60s. I'll start a thread when I've had some thinking time, but I've got nearly all the goodies for it. I know it's been done before on this forum, so I'll be going back looking for ideas.

The layout is called 'Saltport'. It did exist, on the River Weaver in Cheshire, but had a short life after the Manchester Ship Canal was completed. In my version it is far more substantial, and continues to prosper in 1947, with a rail connection at Helsby on the GWR/LNWR joint line to Birkenhead. If it had existed in this form it would have probably been on the MSC Company's system but I prefer the freedom of my own independent dock railway to justify some of the unusual stock, like this Manning Wardle. Layout is 12' x 2', started 22 years ago, and still not fully complete scenically - but then loco's and wagons are so much more interesting than buildings and scenery...

Thank you - I have an old Hornby Caley Pug which I plan to shorten and install onto a Branchlines chassis. Then it will be modified to represent one of the industrial Neilsons that survived in Coal Board use into the '60s. I'll start a thread when I've had some thinking time, but I've got nearly all the goodies for it. I know it's been done before on this forum, so I'll be going back looking for ideas.

The layout is called 'Saltport'. It did exist, on the River Weaver in Cheshire, but had a short life after the Manchester Ship Canal was completed. In my version it is far more substantial, and continues to prosper in 1947, with a rail connection at Helsby on the GWR/LNWR joint line to Birkenhead. If it had existed in this form it would have probably been on the MSC Company's system but I prefer the freedom of my own independent dock railway to justify some of the unusual stock, like this Manning Wardle. Layout is 12' x 2', started 22 years ago, and still not fully complete scenically - but then loco's and wagons are so much more interesting than buildings and scenery...

Thank you for posting this.

Good to know of a total industrial train set!!

You do have some Damn Sexy Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

That all sounds very interesting.

"In progress/under construction" threads are more interesting than finished layouts...

• 4 weeks later...

First trip out and the chance for a decent run - here she is in sunny Kent, scaring the wildlife on Bob Page's Medway Valley layout. Hope the crew enjoyed the weather, they are back in gloomy daylight-balanced Saltport today.

Apologies - tried to re-load this picture and I can't find it anywhere...

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 9

• 2 years later...

It was amazing - someone spotted it and informed Roger West, who wrote the original article in 1971. He contacted me out of the blue and asked me to do a short feature to go with a follow up from him. Still no more knowledge regarding the origins of the design though...

• Like 2