Do You Leave Trains on the Layout?

Leaving Trains on the Layout  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Leave Trains on the Layout?

• Yes - Trains, Coaches, Trucks... whatever
    • Yes and No - Coaches and Trucks yes, but no Trains
    • Yes and No - Trains yes, but no Coaches or Trucks
    • No - I Pack Everything Away Safely After I've Finished

• RMweb Premium

I can only apologise my elocution isn't that great sometimes.

It's not like the majority of voters didn't realise what I meant though :/

No need to apologise, I wasn't 'having a go', just making the general point that asking the right question will often get a better answer - and using the right terms will help that.  Everyone has to start somewhere, and learn as they go.  

Like many of us I have far more stock than will fit on my layout. I can run three overlapping eras.

The locos and stock from the last operating session gets left where it was when the action stopped, until next time.

Other locos and stock are in drawers beneath, ready for use.

Locos from the other eras are in display cabinets on the wall awaiting their turn, 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

I can only apologise my elocution isn't that great sometimes.

It's not like the majority of voters didn't realise what I meant though :/

That's fine and dandy. But your footer suggests you are willing to accept advice. In this case, you basically told the first few people who pointed out the problem, to go away.

The fact that most of us worked out what you meant, does not mean we will be able (or willing) to do so next time you seek opinion or advice. It is a two-way street. Your novelty to the hobby is acknowledged, and is welcomed. I wish you well. But being defensive on here is not necessarily going to help you get the best out of it.

I have modelled, on and too much off, for many decades, but I have found I know far less than I thought I knew, when entering discussions. It does not mean you won't disagree with some things that are said. But please bear in mind that most things said on here, are for a valid reason. Only some things are not.......you can choose which!

Hey, guys. Get a life. I agree with the semantics but let's get back to the question.

I leave much of the stock on the track on the layout which is in the garage. There are always trains ready to go and wagons ready to shunt. My biggest problem is spider poo!

Edited by dolydd

Didn't know it was poo but I had some small spiders living in tunnels.  I just leave it along with all the rest of the dust and scenery droppings, a bit like leaves on the line!  O trains don't seem to be bothered.

Brian

Didn't know it was poo but I had some small spiders living in tunnels.  I just leave it along with all the rest of the dust and scenery droppings, a bit like leaves on the line!  O trains don't seem to be bothered.

Brian

I've got little jumping spiders just like the black one in "Minuscule", was amazed to see one jump up my footbridge steps 2 or 3 at a time one day but didn't have a video handy.

Minuscule has some good clips of insects + model railways that suggest mayhem breaks loose when us "adults" pack up shop for the day.

Edit to add this priceless pair of links

If you don't know these videos they are great value with the anklebiters

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2

All my locos, coaches, wagons and assembled trains are permanently left on the layout. No ill effects at all. Just an occasional vacuuming in the track is all that is needed.

Temperature ranges from -6 to 20 odd C. Also has a wet car in there as well.

post-150-0-39291800-1518642858_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz

The poll doesn't make it clear where the "layout" sits in the completeness spectrum.

If it's anything like mine, which has all the track, some buildings and a half arsed start made on ballasting, it's more productive use is as a huge shelf!

Some of the stock is boxed, so is it "put away" on the layout?

I wish people would clarify their meaning properly, standing next to a purple bus with blatant lie vinyls affixed...

C6T.

The poll doesn't make it clear where the "layout" sits in the completeness spectrum.

If it's anything like mine, which has all the track, some buildings and a half arsed start made on ballasting, it's more productive use is as a huge shelf!

Some of the stock is boxed, so is it "put away" on the layout?

Hm.

I understand but polls would be so complex and specific, the options would be huge to cover every possible answer.

"As your layout stands at the moment..."

Mine is half finished at the back, but the front is just track.

As a result of this poll, I've started leaving a couple of units and trains out.  It certainly looks more inviting to actually play with rather than sitting there doing nothing.

Yes, I leave locos, coaches and wagons on the layout, why would I have a shed scene with no locos in it? 

Between running trains, I leave a locomotive in the platform of my station coupled to a rake of coaches (or wagons), its a bit of a faf to put 4 coaches (or quite a few 4 wheeled wagons and /or bogie wagons) in their box, and take them out again (although I do occasionally put them on a shelf when I want to run something else)

My layout is in a converted loft, with good insulation and central heating and one very small dormer window which has the curtains permanently pulled over to keep out any sunlight.  Most locos and stock stay on or beside the track in the fiddle yard - I am far too lazy to pack it all away and get it out again.  Lesser used items are kept on shelves above the fiddle yard or an old bookcase below it.  Main trouble with this is that, instead of getting on with completing the scenery, I just play trains!

• Like 1