RMweb

My Old Layout Pics

grahame

• RMweb Premium

I'm very pleased you "found" these photos Grahame, many thanks for sharing them.

I travelled by Southern Electric a lot round about that time, and although I'm a steam modeller I have a soft spot for the BR Blue period.

And I've always thought the Network Southeast livery looked WAY better on a model than it did on the real thing!

All the best, Dave.

Hi Grahame,

I’ve always been a fan of your layouts; the level of detail and the way they capture the atmosphere of the suggested locations is absolutely superb.

It’s nice to see photos of Hedges Hill again, however I have spotted something in the first image in post #20 that causes concern; there appears to be an advertising hoarding for Bovis Homes; I’m guessing you don’t own one of their debacles? ;-)

On the plus side, it has given me some ideas for advertising hoardings when I get around to progressing my contemporary layout, such as “Bovis Homes - building eight sided houses for more corners to cut”, or “Bovis Homes - building houses since 1945, still yet to finish one”.

Back to positives now; your “London Bridge” build is fascinating to follow, and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Mark

It’s nice to see photos of Hedges Hill again, however I have spotted something in the first image in post #20 that causes concern; there appears to be an advertising hoarding for Bovis Homes; I’m guessing you don’t own one of their debacles? ;-)

On the plus side, it has given me some ideas for advertising hoardings when I get around to progressing my contemporary layout, such as “Bovis Homes - building eight sided houses for more corners to cut”, or “Bovis Homes - building houses since 1945, still yet to finish one”.

No, I've always had second-hand houses. But presumably you have and it's not been a good experience - I hope things have improved now.

IIRC those hoarding were in fact from a previous layout (built in the 780s/80s) although possibly with new poster adverts, cut from magazines, added. These days BHE offer a wide range of N gauge posters with some interesting advertisers.

G.

No, I've always had second-hand houses. But presumably you have and it's not been a good experience - I hope things have improved now.

Hi Grahame,

3 1/2 years in and still work remaining. In fact my slow progress on my contemporary layout is partially due to issues with Bovis - empty promises of materials to line the garage (among other things), which was to become my hobby room. My ‘60s layout has overtaken now as it is manageable in the house.

Do you have any photos of layouts previous to HHC? Would be interesting to see your earlier work.

All the best,

Mark

Do you have any photos of layouts previous to HHC? Would be interesting to see your earlier work.

Unfortunately that was a pre-digital photography era. 

G.

How’s the new one coming along?

Slow progress, although plans are drawn up and I've started making many of the buildings for it (see the thread mentioned below in my signature section). Plus the main stumbling block to progress is that I need to move first and there's just not much on the market ATM.

G

• RMweb Premium

I’ve always liked Hedges Hill, one of the few Urban N gauge layouts that nailed the location, with the quality of the running and modelling being outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 18/03/2018 at 06:56, grahame said:

Thanks for the feedback.

If anyone is still interested I can search again through my old pic files and hopefully post some more photos.

G

Old post I know, but I would love to see more! Those layouts ran super smoothly, makes you wonder whether DCC has improved running... or not... 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Firstly apologies for resurrecting and old thread, very much interested in building an Urban style layout and this has give me great Inspiration. Hard to track down the magazines it was featured in now, but wondered what size this is and if you ever had a track plan picture..  

Thanks,

I was for a time a member of the club that now owns HHC and remember thinking how impressive it was with how for the space it captured the small space and in particular the running being in a cutting for the whole layout was very effective.

On that point I did raise a smile when it appeared on the local news in connection with that years Trainwest; On the morning of the day before the show I had been asked if I would take Peafore Yard on the BBC Bristol news that night (apparently having a Bristol inspired layout and being in my 30's and not looking like I conformed to the stereotype of the typical model railway fan were key factors!) but I had to decline as my wife and I were out for dinner that night and I valued my marriage more than a TV appearance so the club sent HHC instead. The camera was set at quite a low angle so that when the 2 trains went past (I recall one was a VSOE set) all that could be seen was the roof of the coaches. It struck me that while not good TV it was very realistic and added to the charm of the layout!