The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another BT Phishing Scam

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

A long article but an interesting insight into how the phone scammers operate.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/02/the-scammers-gaming-indias-overcrowded-job-market

Like Dave above, I've been known to string the windows technical support scammers along. Now knowing the pressure that they are working under, it's easy to see why they often get irate, particularly when they see what was a promising sucker desperately in need of technical support turn into someone who knows exactly what they are trying to do.

Do I feel guilty?  Nope.  Call it a little bit of revenge for all the UK IT jobs that have gone overseas.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark

I once got a call from an Asian sounding chap with a withheld number, not interested in what he had to say I just said F*** Off and slammed the phone down. Within the minute it rang again and the same chap said "same to you, sir" and hung up. I had to smile and chalk one up to him.

• Like 1

A long article but an interesting insight into how the phone scammers operate.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/02/the-scammers-gaming-indias-overcrowded-job-market

Like Dave above, I've been known to string the windows technical support scammers along. Now knowing the pressure that they are working under, it's easy to see why they often get irate, particularly when they see what was a promising sucker desperately in need to technical support turn into someone who knows exactly what they are trying to do.

Do I feel guilty?  Nope.  Call it a little bit of revenge for all the UK IT jobs that have gone overseas.

Mark

I don't give a tinker's cuss about the sob stories of poverty in India, tbh - particularly as these vermin are knowingly attempting to defraud people. I used to regularly string them along, but enough was enough; I got one of these call blocker phones. Marvellous. Although occasionally I do miss the satisfaction of keeping one of these rats busy for several minutes, before either they work out that I'm taking the proverbial, or I give them the good news in a denouement...

Somebody 'high up' in Talk Talk has sold their data to a rogue company.

-----------------------------------------

When receiving such calls, just tell them that the call is being traced and the call is being diverted to the Fraud Squad.

If they are still there, hand the call to another member of your family, (preferably male) and be very officious in saying the call is being traced.  Ask them for details of where they are calling from and the name of their Overall Manager and you want to speak to HIM.

I have never got that far, but they stopped calling me  (until they sell the data on.)

Any firm that has outsourced its call centres to India has to be treated as though your data is now compromised, I'm afraid, even if they have subsequently returned the centres back to the UK. There have been several cases where this has happened, with peoples' details being sold. It's worrying.

Edited by MarkC

My tactic with the 'Windows' calls, before we went ex-directory and bought a number blocking phone, was to ask them which computer was infected, a laptop, one of the desk tops, or the mainframe. As they continued the patter I'd interrupt and start to say:-

'This is serious and you'll need to talk to our Head of IT, his name is Chief Inspector Robinson.....'

I never got further than that as they always disconnected the call!

• Like 3

Agreed, I was only kidding.

It's a good point Kevin as occasionally folk don't think to use this feature before pressing the button.

And remember that most security aware organisations tend not to provide a link to a sign on screen telling you to use your normal bookmark instead.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

It's a good point Kevin as occasionally folk don't think to use this feature before pressing the button.

And remember that most security aware organisations tend not to provide a link to a sign on screen telling you to use your normal bookmark instead.

And even with it look carefully. URLs with deliberate mis-spellings (e.g. "loyds" instead of "lloyds") or variations (e.g. hyphens where full stops are expected, or vice-versa, or the addition or removal of words in the URL such as "online") of the correct name are common ways of trying to trick people.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Tks for the info - I'm a BT customer. IIRC they DO provide a link on these monthly emails so thanks for the heads-up. I'll make sure in future I go via the slow route and into the website etc etc