The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Copenhagen

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Just walk around the city centre parks at lunchtime, and there's much on display that practically every male railway modeller is interested in. (They didn't put 'Wonderful, wonderful, in front by accident.)

I shall look forward to that if the weather is suitable (as it should be in late May). But I was thinking of something a bit more directly related than the prototypes for Preiser figurines.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent rail system and lots of trains passing through CPH Central Station. Lots of potential to do a bit of bashing. Terrific restaurants, I find the standard of restaurants shames some foodie cities.

Take the train to Malmo in Sweden. It's a short journey across the Oresund crossing (bridge and tunnel) 45 mins from the centre and 24 mins from the airport..

Depending on your schedule you can get a train to Odense (about 1:45 hours) and visit the Danish Railway Museum.

Regards,

John P

The main DSB depot for Copenhagen is at Dybbølsbro (near suburban station of the same name). 

If prepared to travel a little further, I'd endorse the suggestion of a trip to Malmö over the Øresund bridge - or maybe just some train-watching at one of the intermediate stations (the stations themselves are a bit bland).  There are other museums within a short drive of Copenhagen - the technical museum at Helsingør has/had a couple of locos, whilst the narrow gauge centre at Hedehusene is likely to be closed (unless you make arrangements).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

I was thinking of a quick trip over the Oresund bridge. Last time I was in Denmark and Sweden, 1975, was well before its construction.

A trip  to Odense should be possible. I will have to look at the opening times.

Our hotel is very well situated, about 200m west of the main station.

The central station had some model trains on display in cases on the concourse last summer, they weren't running, perhaps they don't run but worth looking out for them, I only spotted them dashing for my train home.

• RMweb Premium

Our hotel is very well situated, about 200m west of the main station.

Be aware that the main station is slap bang in the middle of the red light district so it is aptly referred to as "Slutstation" when the train terminates there!

• RMweb Gold

Be aware that the main station is slap bang in the middle of the red light district so it is aptly referred to as "Slutstation" when the train terminates there!

Only normal that the "oldest profession" has bagged the best spot for customers to access easily.

• RMweb Gold

I used to live in Copenhagen before moving to central Jutland. The central station used to have LOUD opera music in the entrance closest to the red light district to stop people loitering there, But I think this practice has now stopped ( probably against the Geneva convention !).

Denmark is not really a railway country. There are a few preserved lines, but most are I Jutland. Model railways are almost none existent, The only one I can think of is in Hadsten ( again in Jutland) There is a preserved line in Græsted ( North Sealand http://veterantoget.dk/)there is also a tram museum in the area http://www.sporvejsmuseet.dk/engelsk/index.htm. The museum in Odens is well Worthing visiting... but it's not York!

If you want to PM me closer to the time and when you know your travel plans, I'll see if there are any events at that time 

• RMweb Gold

The tram/bus museum looks impressive. Sadly, not open weekdays in May.

And just too late for the Thomas weekend at Odense!

For me the most iconic Danish train is the Silver arrow.  

It makes a deltic look like a flat nose pug. They were taken out of service about a year after I moved to Denmark in 1990 but I remember a trip to Copenhagen on one of these amazing things. I would love to ride on one again.

Edited by Vistiaen