How Do You Decide Which Decoder to Buy?

Sir TophamHatt

How do you buy decoders and decide which to buy?

The majority of mine have Lenz Silver+ v2, but there's 3 or 4 that have a Zimo MX600 because it's smaller.  I'd rate these as good as each other.

I have a couple of Bachmanns in a coulple that need 18 and 21 pins, but the others are pretty much hard wired.

I have two with Hattons own brand but these don't run as well, which is a shame.  Not sure if I'll look at changing them.  I have a few CV settings to tweak first.

Do you try and stick to one brand?  One dealer?  Or just have a hosh tosh of all sorts of different decoders?

My decision tree

Sound or non-sound.

Hardwired, 8 or 21 pin.

Size to fit the application.

Number of functions required.

Previous experience with the manufacturers that fit the above needs.

Price

Decoders in use, in no particular order, mainly TCS and Digitrax. Others in small numbers are, NCE, Bachmann, Lenz. All do what I want without problems. Motors being Hornby, Bachmann, Tenshodo, Atlas, Roco, Broadway.

I did have about three/four years back some DCC Concepts (I think via Hattons) which I wasn't happy with, have gradually phased them out. Slow speed control being the issue despite CV adjusts just didn't hold the settings.

Dealers. well, recently often Coastal DCC (no connection, but very good service)

Hope that helps

John

Edited by johnb