Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

So, you want Manning Wardles, Red my Old Fruit?

Not for me the pretty ones, Oh No!!!

Here is Manchester Steel's example, a right beast of a Manning!!!

In my world, this was built as part of the order for Littleton Colliery 'cos Manchester Steel had a need for a powerful shunter.

A size comparason with No 14, the shed pet, a Kitson.

The Manning is an Agenoria kit and the Kitson an old Centre Models kit.

C.attachicon.gifIMG_20180603_135313.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180603_135351.jpg

Wow. That IS a bit of a beast isn't it?

Also love the Kitson. Then again I've always had a soft spot for small industrials.

• Like 1

For a light railway in the North East, depending on period, NER Y7s tended to get about a fair bit. A J72 is also a pretty good bet. A Sentinel shunter, such as the Dapol/Model Rail one, is a good bet - they often wound up on light railways all over the place.

Edited by HonestTom

And this just arrived!

attachicon.gifLNER Teaks.jpg

A set of LNER teak coaches, which is a birthday present from my boss. Wow. Not someone I expected to get anything from.

Evening Red,

Hope you had a good holiday.

Cool present!! Does this mean that the KLR will have through coaches from the rest of the world?

The curse of Amazon means that I've ended up with a whole Alchemist series for less than half price!! I'll have to ration myself!!!

I might get sucked back into Anime again!! That won't take much!

C.

• Like 2

Evening Red,

Hope you had a good holiday.

Cool present!! Does this mean that the KLR will have through coaches from the rest of the world?

The curse of Amazon means that I've ended up with a whole Alchemist series for less than half price!! I'll have to ration myself!!!

I might get sucked back into Anime again!! That won't take much!

C.

Well, these ones are probably just old ones the LNER dumped on the KLR as they were wont to do.

Also if you mean Full Metal Alchemist, you do realise the entire of both series are on Netflix, right?

• Like 1

Well, these ones are probably just old ones the LNER dumped on the KLR as they were wont to do.

Also if you mean Full Metal Alchemist, you do realise the entire of both series are on Netflix, right?

I know about the Netflix thing but I have a thing about getting Dvds.

I've just started chemo and insomnia means I either model or watch, usually anime!!!!

Can't do both!!

The upside of this is that I can all being well, get properly stuck in on my 2-8-0.

I can't wait to see what you do with the sleeper.

Chris.

I know about the Netflix thing but I have a thing about getting Dvds.

I've just started chemo and insomnia means I either model or watch, usually anime!!!!

Can't do both!!

The upside of this is that I can all being well, get properly stuck in on my 2-8-0.

I can't wait to see what you do with the sleeper.

Chris.

Ah right. Fair enough.

Insomnia sucks, I know that from experience.

And actually I'm not doing anything to the LNER teaks. Not even repainting them. I like them too much. They're the sort of thing that'd end up on the KLR anyway so why ruin that lush teak effect?

And why can't you do both? I do.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

Ah right. Fair enough.

Insomnia sucks, I know that from experience.

And actually I'm not doing anything to the LNER teaks. Not even repainting them. I like them too much. They're the sort of thing that'd end up on the KLR anyway so why ruin that lush teak effect?

And why can't you do both? I do.

Damn Straight!!

C.

• Like 1

Was clearing out the shed ready for the KLR to begin construction earlier and found these unexpected items:

post-33750-0-12014200-1529170878_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-03013900-1529170954_thumb.jpg

Not one but TWO soldering irons and an entire tube of solder. Where the hell did that come from? 
Still I now have a soldering iron. And a spare. Now I need to learn how on Earth to use the thing.

• Like 6

Right, my first lot of track has arrived and soon, very soon, you should get some workbench footage of my loco tests. 
But that's not what I'm here to talk about right now. What I'm here to talk about at this precise moment is this:
post-33750-0-51803400-1530257873_thumb.jpg

This set of very unusual wagons that came with said track.

These things are weird. I have a couple old tinplate tank wagons, what appears to be a repainted Triang long tanker but I'm not sure, a Wrenn van, a pair of tanks I have no idea what they are, a wooden open wagon and what appears to be a half-finished scratchbuilt van made of balsa wood. All OO gauge, none have hook-and-loop couplings (a few have broken Kadees and one of the Dublo wagons even has a loop of wire as a coupling!), most have at least one missing buffer and the whole lot also came with a zip-lock baggie full of axles. This is certainly the most unusual find I've had when opening my post.

And just realised Sem got Post no. 500. Well I'll be.

• Like 1

Here's the footage of the test run. Well first attempt. You'll see why in the video. Didn't go according to plan. 
https://youtu.be/Ul1nuMF6ENk
Plus you'll get to hear the sultry sounds of my voice for the first time. You can really hear the Irish in me whenever I speak on camera.

Been looking at the half-finished scratchbuild van from the lot of track from yesterday. 

post-33750-0-84315200-1530366382_thumb.jpg

The horsebox is nice and very rural, but I took a look at this little guy and found I really liked it. It's tiny and cute and looks adorable with the two coaches from Bulldog's train. I see a proper luggage van in the KLR's near future. 
So, how do I detail this to look like a real luggage van and not just another small box van?
Also could someone please inform me with some suggestions on how to connect hook-and-look couplings to this thing? The bufferbeam is much too high to just attach one on and it be at the right height, trust me, I tried with the Wrenn van which is now a storage shed. 
Also points to whoever spots my new desk decorations.

• Like 2

Finished the luggage van, and this I'm quite proud of, mainly because it's totally unique. It was modified using parts from a Metcalfe bunker kit and the extra steps from the model that became Eastern Rambler. Paintwork was done to match the two four-wheeler coaches. The couplings are from a pair of Caley Pug chassis I had lying around and kept fiddling with until they sat at the right height.

post-33750-0-36309500-1530378327_thumb.jpg

This thing is TINY. Genuinely tiny. HO scale in fact. It looks adorably small next to pretty much everything else in my collection bar the open wagons. 

• Like 6

Another little bit of KLR uniqueness. This four-wheel observation brake made from a DMU and a broken Lima four-wheel coach, both given to me by sem34090 in the massive box of stuff he sold me a couple months ago. 

post-33750-0-02932700-1530631698_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure what this will go with, and admittedly it's a bit messy at the moment. But this will hopefully be quite good once it's finished.

• Like 7

Another little bit of KLR uniqueness. This four-wheel observation brake made from a DMU and a broken Lima four-wheel coach, both given to me by sem34090 in the massive box of stuff he sold me a couple months ago. 

attachicon.gifObs_brake 1.jpg

Not quite sure what this will go with, and admittedly it's a bit messy at the moment. But this will hopefully be quite good once it's finished.

Oh, I do like that!!!

Could do with another one , but powered.

Shades of the Shefflex pair on the Col Stevens lines but modern.

C.

Oh, I do like that!!!

Could do with another one , but powered.

Shades of the Shefflex pair on the Col Stevens lines but modern.

C.

Yeah, see what you mean. And sorry, but most diesels are off limits. If I found a diesel railcar, a small diesel shunter or a MetroVick Type 2 I'd consider it.

• Like 2

I've been discussing this on private chat with Sem, and now I know the Princess he gave me works (video will be available once it uploads - Norfolk internet so don't hold your breath) I'm going ahead with it. 

post-33750-0-47031900-1530907589_thumb.jpg

The KLR is getting an inside-cylinder Pacific. Triang Princess chassis, running plate and firebox, Hornby A3 cab, Triang B12 boiler and chimney, Trix A1 smokebox. If anyone has any objections, feel free. 

• Like 4

Using the Princess front end is quite clever- that piano box makes it quite obvious that the cylinders are between the frames.  Could you remove the outside steampipes?- they don't make much sense unless you have outside cylinders.  Is that the original pony truck at the rear? It just looks quite far back and disconnected with the rest of the chassis, but that might be how it should be anyway.  It's certainly going to look interesting, after all there were inside cylindered atlantics and 4-6-0s and at least one class of inside-cylindered 4-6-2 tank, so an inside cylinder 4-6-2 is a plausible design. 

Using the Princess front end is quite clever- that piano box makes it quite obvious that the cylinders are between the frames.  Could you remove the outside steampipes?- they don't make much sense unless you have outside cylinders.  Is that the original pony truck at the rear? It just looks quite far back and disconnected with the rest of the chassis, but that might be how it should be anyway.  It's certainly going to look interesting, after all there were inside cylindered atlantics and 4-6-0s and at least one class of inside-cylindered 4-6-2 tank, so an inside cylinder 4-6-2 is a plausible design. 

Thanks. Part of the reason why I used the Princess.

Hmm. Forgot about the steam pipes. 

Yes, that is the original pony truck. Apart from lacking a front coupling the chassis is complete.

Glad to see you're looking forward to it James. :)

WARNING: Mild strong language

https://youtu.be/fQQCNubAFPg

Here is the test loop footage. Hope you enjoy. It was far more successful than I expected it to be. Moved it over to the living room rather than the kitchen. Overall, it went well.
No, the stuff that went wrong during Peter's run wasn't staged; and the bang you hear after I shunt my cat Nyx off the table is me smacking my elbow against the corner. 

• Like 3