Just had a look. Like the 2-6-4 tank. Not what I'd build, but I'd expect you're probably better at the actual construction than I am.

Building them is great fun, it's motorising them that's the issue with this one in particular. Though I think with those side mounted water tanks I should be able to rectify the issue. It's one of the only train designs that can actually fit into the stupidly small loco siding on my layout! The 0-6-0 tender version is just too big!

post-32712-0-00125900-1520069092_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

Building them is great fun, it's motorising them that's the issue with this one in particular. Though I think with those side mounted water tanks I should be able to rectify the issue. It's one of the only train designs that can actually fit into the stupidly small loco siding on my layout! The 0-6-0 tender version is just too big!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Building locomotives is fun. Then again, I enjoy making models anyway (I also do Warhammer 40k, I think I mentioned that before) but I am terrible at working with the electrics or motorising stuff. Hence why I use pre-motorised chassis from existing locomotives, usually the one the bufferbeam comes from (see Wild Rover). 

Wow, that siding IS tiny. Almost impractically so.

Building locomotives is fun. Then again, I enjoy making models anyway (I also do Warhammer 40k, I think I mentioned that before) but I am terrible at working with the electrics or motorising stuff. Hence why I use pre-motorised chassis from existing locomotives, usually the one the bufferbeam comes from (see Wild Rover). 

Wow, that siding IS tiny. Almost impractically so.

Well in pre grouping days that size may have been logical due to the much smaller size of most rolling stock! :laugh: But I have seen with DMU scratchbuilds (sounds irrelevant, but I thought it may be useful) that some reuse old Hornby and Lima motors, which are pretty simple to wire, so there's an option.

Well in pre grouping days that size may have been logical due to the much smaller size of most rolling stock! :laugh: But I have seen with DMU scratchbuilds (sounds irrelevant, but I thought it may be useful) that some reuse old Hornby and Lima motors, which are pretty simple to wire, so there's an option.

Hmm. Definitely food for thought. Though DMUs themselves are kind of irrelevant to the KLR, yes.

Sadly, the only diesel you'd be likely to see on the KLR would be a small industrial shunter, say a converted Triang Dock Authority or a BR Class 02. Something small with actual character. No offence.

I could have had electric trains on my layout, you know! Really diesel and electric is what I've grown up with, so that's the main reason I like them. In NSW we had similar DMU's (called Railmotors), most of which I haven't actually seen in revenue service, but have seen in preservation. After I found BR had similar DMU's I was immediately hooked and that's where it all started. We all have our different opinions and interests. Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

I could have had electric trains on my layout, you know! Really diesel and electric is what I've grown up with, so that's the main reason I like them. In NSW we had similar DMU's (called Railmotors), most of which I haven't actually seen in revenue service, but have seen in preservation. After I found BR had similar DMU's I was immediately hooked and that's where it all started. We all have our different opinions and interests.

Agreed. My nan's family were all LNER workers so I grew up with stories of them working in the BR steam days. I've always loved steam locomotives, so that's what I work with. That and my great-grandfather, himself an LNER fireman, reading me the Railway Series when me and my brothers were very young. So the KLR is a combination of the East Anglia I love and grew up in, and the steam locomotives I've always been fascinated by but was born in time to see in real action.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

That being said, I could live with one of the older diesels that still have a bit of panache and charisma, like one of the older Class 03 to Class 08 diesel shunters, or even a Metro-Vick Type 2 if I could get one of the hilariously scarce Heljan ones and convert it to have tension-lock couplings.

• Like 1

In other news, PatB and Nearholmer identified what the mystery red tank engine is when I posted it on the Modelling Questions board. It's an old Hornby Dublo starter locomotive, which explains why I didn't recognise it (HD isn't one of my areas.) Excellent, now I know what I'm looking for with that. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've found our No.4. 

BEGIN THE HUNT.

EDIT: The hunt is over. The lot was still there, and having a spare £15 or so to spend on it I just straight up bought it. The Red Engine plus about 8 other bodies and a tender to do stuff with. I feel so... creative all of a sudden :D

Also, here. A bit of history of KLR No.3. Sorry Edwardian, but the implicits speak for themselves...  ;)

KLR No.3 "Peter"

Built in 1896 by Hudswell Clarke, Peter is not only the line's smallest engine but also its oldest. This miniscule saddle tank began its working life on a railway a bit further up Norfolk's western edge working as a station pilot before being sold to the KLR in 1919. It has remained there ever since, doing light freight work and, when not doing that, acting as Kelsby Station's pilot. Named for a famous “wild boy” of East Anglian folklore, this tiny black saddle tank lives up to that name by being a temperamental and often unruly locomotive. There are dozens of stories where this little engine has caused minor incident and confusion due to its myriad quirks and foibles. Despite this it's a valued part of the KLR's collection which is popular with local children (the line runs close to the playground of Alnerwick Primary School, so Peter can often be seen running wagons of gravel from the quarry on the other side of the town) and while occasionally unreliable is powerful and far more manoeuvrable than many of the larger tank engines on the tight curves by the quarry.

• Like 1

Just a thought: This would make a good cobbling project, maybe for a passenger train?

Hmm. Maybe. Nevertheless, not something I'm really interested in making at least not at this time. I can see someone of far more skill than I, maybe Corbs or relaxinghobby, or someone really out there like Nile, attempting this, but not me. I'm content cobbling together my little backwater light railway can-do trains rather than anything coherent. Much more fun lies in madness xD

• Like 1

I've seen your models and they looks great . You are not a failure, you're learning all the time and getting good - and so am I.

Thanks for the support, but the title is meant to be funny. I don't so much think I'm a failure as much as I have a naturally self-deprecating sense of humour. You are far from the first to get the wrong end of the stick. That said I know I'm far from the most talented person on here. Good life lesson, mate: always best to stay modest and know how to mock yourself than be arrogant and have people laugh at you rather than with you.

Thanks for the support, but the title is meant to be funny. I don't so much think I'm a failure as much as I have a naturally self-deprecating sense of humour. You are far from the first to get the wrong end of the stick. That said I know I'm far from the most talented person on here. Good life lesson, mate: always best to stay modest and know how to mock yourself than be arrogant and have people laugh at you rather than with you.

I think my workbench needs a title like that, should get more attention!

Ok, the four blood-and-custards arrived today... No photos because it's NOT pretty. There's some serious banana syndrome going on which I'll need to try and fix. 

Also with my propensity for collecting old Triang, and considering a previous comment when I was doing those old Triang trucks a couple weeks ago, a question comes to mind. What track would be good for a collection of both semi-modern Hornby/Bachmann and vintage Triang and Triang-Hornby?

• Like 1

Ok, the four blood-and-custards arrived today... No photos because it's NOT pretty. There's some serious banana syndrome going on which I'll need to try and fix. 

Also with my propensity for collecting old Triang, and considering a previous comment when I was doing those old Triang trucks a couple weeks ago, a question comes to mind. What track would be good for a collection of both semi-modern Hornby/Bachmann and vintage Triang and Triang-Hornby?

Triang ones can be in Kelsby's coach shed whilst Hornby/Bachmann's can be in service? Do you plan on cobbling any of these?

Triang ones can be in Kelsby's coach shed whilst Hornby/Bachmann's can be in service? Do you plan on cobbling any of these?

Not the stock really, no. Issue is MOST of my stock is Triang. Half of the branch line train is Triang. Bulldog is Triang. Most of my freight stock is Triang.

Not that I have the necessary bogies to do so even if I wished to.

You might find that the older truck chassis with the open ended axleboxes have much thicker wheels than more modern types and might not run on modern track.  Although it can be done, they are not that easy to re-wheel.  It might be worth getting hold of some wagons with the newer chassis/wheels & swapping the bodies over.

Sorry, I'm probably overreacting slightly. But best to be careful after this comment by Moxy (now I've given myself the time to mull over said comment.)

So, I managed to get two of the blood-and-custard coaches fixed. 

post-33750-0-53496400-1520323330_thumb.png

They're still a little banana'd but I can live with it as it doesn't seem to affect them rolling, though those old Triang wheels still concern me somewhat. I like them much they way they are. In fact I'm probably not going to repaint them, or if I do it'll be into something similar, like a carmine and white combo or something.

• Like 3