Hmm. I should note that I didn't buy the lot (buying the aforementioned four blood-and-custard coaches instead), though that tank engine made it tempting for precisely that reason. A small country line like the KLR could really use a compact, powerful tank engine for freight work. And since I'm doing freelance it being "right" isn't an issue. 

Wishing I did get it now. Maybe I could have even lumped an 0-10-0 chassis under it from something; it seems like it was pretty sizeable. Ah well. I got four usable coaches instead. Best not to think about the could-have-beens in this situation.

Blood, Sand and Corruption!!!! I hadn't thought of the 0-10-0 option!

It was the Naysmith Wilson 0-8-0 tanks at Gin Pit in Lancashire I was thinking of.

I saw the last one working as a little boy and it made an impression!!.

• Like 2

It was the Naysmith Wilson 0-8-0 tanks at Gin Pit in Lancashire I was thinking of.

You mean these?

post-33750-0-33511800-1519834620.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 5

Hmm. I should note that I didn't buy the lot (buying the aforementioned four blood-and-custard coaches instead), though that tank engine made it tempting for precisely that reason. A small country line like the KLR could really use a compact, powerful tank engine for freight work. And since I'm doing freelance it being "right" isn't an issue. 

Wishing I did get it now. Maybe I could have even lumped an 0-10-0 chassis under it from something; it seems like it was pretty sizeable. Ah well. I got four usable coaches instead. Best not to think about the could-have-beens in this situation.

post-33750-0-64783700-1519895171.jpg

Well, there's another 0-10-0 that comes to mind, but it's not... exactly practical for a branch line setting, as much as I like it...

post-33750-0-36655000-1519895193_thumb.jpg

I would LOVE to do something like the Lickey Banker but I do not have any justification or materials to do so. Something the size of Big Bertha on the KLR would just be useless as it'd probably sink in the fenland that makes up the run from just before Hewe onward and it's not really necessary to have something that absurdly powerful for any reason. A powerful 0-10-0 tank engine with a low axle-load and weight-per-foot might be able to get away with it. A huge 0-10-0 tender freight engine wouldn't have much chance.

Plus turning out of the sheds would be kind of difficult for it. Actually maybe for the 0-10-0 tank as well.

(Still stuck at home because of the snow, in case anyone's wondering.)

• Like 5

Little bit of progress with KLR No.3. Got as far as I could with it, but without the chassis or bufferbeam I have no way of going forward any further at the moment.

post-33750-0-28166700-1519924289_thumb.png

So, KLR No.3, which has no formal name at this time, is stuck like this until I have the money to get the remaining parts. Also until I know what chassis to use.

EDIT: In case anyone's curious, here's a comparison between No.3 so far and Bulldog to show you how tiny No.3 will be. (This photo also has the whistle added, which that initial one didn't.) Not a great photo but it gets the point across.

post-33750-0-76280200-1519937486_thumb.png

• Like 3

So, still snowed in, and my postal orders are probably not going to arrive until the snow melts, if ever. Faaaaantastic. So, I have very little to work on. 
So, let's start on Stop 2. Hewe Station, just over the Cambridgeshire border and out in the fens. 

post-33750-0-60243700-1519983868.png

Entering from the left, through the station, over a bridge on the far side and out into the fens towards Alnerwick. People, let's brainstorm!

Also quickly, an edit to the Kelsby final version as I forgot the signalbox.
post-33750-0-21948800-1519983999.png

• Like 5

So, still snowed in, and my postal orders are probably not going to arrive until the snow melts, if ever. Faaaaantastic. So, I have very little to work on.

So, let's start on Stop 2. Hewe Station, just over the Cambridgeshire border and out in the fens.

attachicon.gifHewe Station V1.png

Entering from the left, through the station, over a bridge on the far side and out into the fens towards Alnerwick. People, let's brainstorm!

Also quickly, an edit to the Kelsby final version as I forgot the signalbox.

attachicon.gifKelsby Station final.png

Looking great!

Are you intending on making a whole branch line eventually? ;)

As for Hewe, do you intend on making this more Rural than Kelsby or about the same? How much do you intend on adding?

EDIT: Any particular station this is based on? If so I hope it's the only station with that name, after what happened last time! :jester:

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

Looking great!

Are you intending on making a whole branch line eventually? ;)

As for Hewe, do you intend on making this more Rural than Kelsby or about the same? How much do you intend on adding?

EDIT: Any particular station this is based on? If so I hope it's the only station with that name, after what happened last time! :jester:

Thanks. I'm making a freelance light railway (see first page of this thread where I lay out my overall plans and the history of the KLR; it was greatly inspired by Colonel Stephens as well as the Sand Hutton Light Railway) and am modelling the first three stops on the line. Might model the other two if I have the room though, who knows?.

Hewe is a little more rural than Kelsby, and is out in the Fens. In my mind it's a mix between Guyhirn (with the bridge) and one of my favourite local stations, Kimberley Park on the Mid Norfolk. At the moment though it's just that basic framework and I'm brainstorming with you guys to see what ideas you all put forward. All shapes with no form as it were.

• Like 2

Small update to the two existing locomotives. Bulldog and Wild Rover are now fully liveried.

post-33750-0-18594000-1520005152_thumb.png

Only numbering needed now, which will be done with 7mm letters from Slater's Plastikard done up in gold. But either way, here are the first two Kelsby Light Railway locomotives, done up in full KLR green-and-blue. No.3 on the other hand will be done up in KLR goods black. 

• Like 9

The B12 rebuild looks quite convincing, nice job.

Thanks Northroader. I am quite proud of Wild Rover myself, especially considering the amount of work that went into it (fitting the new boiler and smokebox was a royal pain in the backside) and the fact it's my first locomotive bash, of what will undoubtedly be many. Again, can't test if it works or not, but like the Nellie chassis I can easily find a similarly sized 0-6-0 tender chassis to fit it if it doesn't.

• Like 5

Thanks. I'm making a freelance light railway (see first page of this thread where I lay out my overall plans and the history of the KLR; it was greatly inspired by Colonel Stephens as well as the Sand Hutton Light Railway) and am modelling the first three stops on the line. Might model the other two if I have the room though, who knows?.

Hewe is a little more rural than Kelsby, and is out in the Fens. In my mind it's a mix between Guyhirn (with the bridge) and one of my favourite local stations, Kimberley Park on the Mid Norfolk. At the moment though it's just that basic framework and I'm brainstorming with you guys to see what ideas you all put forward. All shapes with no form as it were.

I do like Kimberly park for sitting and watching, good choice.

Small update to the two existing locomotives. Bulldog and Wild Rover are now fully liveried.

attachicon.gifBulldog Wild Rover complete.png

Only numbering needed now, which will be done with 7mm letters from Slater's Plastikard done up in gold. But either way, here are the first two Kelsby Light Railway locomotives, done up in full KLR green-and-blue. No.3 on the other hand will be done up in KLR goods black. 

Excellent. True freelancing and good old fashioned modelling.  They both have bags of charisma!

Another minor update to the Hewe layout. 

post-33750-0-71654100-1520025039.png

Goods platform now has a crane, and I added the river underneath the bridge. There's going to be a bridle path running alongside the river. I also plan to have the station on an embankment, but how do I denote this?

• Like 2

Another minor update to the Hewe layout. 

attachicon.gifHewe Station V3.png

Goods platform now has a crane, and I added the river underneath the bridge. There's going to be a bridle path running alongside the river. I also plan to have the station on an embankment, but how do I denote this?

Tone the colours differently, for example the track level is grey and the embankment is darker shade or vice versa.

Tone the colours differently, for example the track level is grey and the embankment is darker shade or vice versa.

Duly noted. Will do. 

Also, FINALLY got that map done showing where the KLR is.

post-33750-0-26098600-1520063407_thumb.png

Starting at Kelsby, then down into Cambridgeshire and into Hewe, then Alnerwick, Elmtree Heath and Berkham. The line into Telham Town is in the process of being restored at this point, and the final "stop" is the abandoned former Telham Fen station... which appropriately sits in the middle of Telham Fen, slowly being overgrown and sinking into the bog, and unable to be restored due to Telham Fen now being protected. Nearest major city to the line is Ely, and road access is best achieved by going to Berkham from Ely or to Kelsby from Thetford. Accessing Hewe, Alnerwick and Elmtree by road is, for the most part, a real challenge due to confusing road signs and terrible road conditions due to them being consumed by the boggy ground. Hence the important of the KLR to these communities.

(Note: yes, Elmtree was originally called Dawsbury; believe I mentioned it earlier as having a dairy. Decided to change the name as I liked the name Elmtree better.)

• Like 1

Duly noted. Will do. 

Also, FINALLY got that map done showing where the KLR is.

attachicon.gifKLR Map.png

Starting at Kelsby, then down into Cambridgeshire and into Hewe, then Alnerwick, Elmtree Heath and Berkham. The line into Telham Town is in the process of being restored at this point, and the final "stop" is the abandoned former Telham Fen station... which appropriately sits in the middle of Telham Fen, slowly being overgrown and sinking into the bog, and unable to be restored due to Telham Fen now being protected. Nearest major city to the line is Ely, and road access is best achieved by going to Berkham from Ely or to Kelsby from Thetford. Accessing Hewe, Alnerwick and Elmtree by road is, for the most part, a real challenge due to confusing road signs and terrible road conditions due to them being consumed by the boggy ground. Hence the important of the KLR to these communities.

This is coming together pretty well! In fact you've inspired me to review my existing fictional branch line and pre plan the track plans of each stop.

This is coming together pretty well! In fact you've inspired me to review my existing fictional branch line and pre plan the track plans of each stop.

Thank you. Pre-planning is always a good idea with the route. I don't however pre-plan the locomotives though because, well, where's the fun in that?  :laugh: Seriously though, the KLR's locos are kind of meant to look badly planned and cobbled together because most of them are. The KLR, despite being owned by an incredibly rich family and having additional funding from English Heritage, still hasn't got infinite money. It never has. Most of their engines are either cobbled together from second-hand, barely working engines that the LNER dumped on their hands or were designed in their own workshops and built from spare parts, with the exception of a couple of small industrial tank engines and a single, slightly out of place GWR 14xx (No.7, Wanderer, the only engine I've actually planned - which I don't actually have at the moment. Got an interesting in-world backstory too, as all the KLR fleet do.) 

Glad I could provide you with some inspiration :)

• Like 1

Thank you. Pre-planning is always a good idea with the route. I don't however pre-plan the locomotives though because, well, where's the fun in that?  :laugh: Seriously though, the KLR's locos are kind of meant to look badly planned and cobbled together because most of them are. The KLR, despite being owned by an incredibly rich family and having additional funding from English Heritage, still hasn't got infinite money. It never has. Most of their engines are either cobbled together from second-hand, barely working engines that the LNER dumped on their hands or were designed in their own workshops and built from spare parts, with the exception of a couple of small industrial tank engines and a single, slightly out of place GWR 14xx (No.7, Wanderer, the only engine I've actually planned - which I don't actually have at the moment. Got an interesting in-world backstory too, as all the KLR fleet do.) 

Glad I could provide you with some inspiration :)

I've done a bit of writing too, see my drawing board for more. I've started coming up with designs myself but these are more new build than your cobbled together designs.

I've done a bit of writing too, see my drawing board for more. I've started coming up with designs myself but these are more new build than your cobbled together designs.

Just had a look. I like the 2-6-4 tank. Not what I'd build, but I'd expect you're probably better at the actual construction than I am and I do like the design.

post-33750-0-98354900-1520068678.png

Hewe update. The bridle path is added, as well as the embankment and the local pub, "The Journeyman", which has stood alongside the river ever since the River Thet was used to transport goods to Thetford on horse-towed barges. 

• Like 1