I think the main thing you are missing is the ability for one loco to run round its train as there is no loop.

I altered some bits as a suggestion.

attachicon.gifsimple-station.jpg

-added run round loop

-moved turntable so that incoming trains can't accidentally drive into it

-reversed crossover at station throat so that incoming trains can access both roads and the goods yard

-added platform and station building on the longest (so that more carriages can fit in) and most direct route in - general practice would have the passenger platform on the 'main' and not on a siding

Hope this is useful!

You could even go crazy and have a carriage shed behind the platform and a small loco shed and servicing area off the turntable

attachicon.gifsimple-station2.jpg

a bit like Swanage's shed, turntable, coaling stage and water tower.

44932_6695.jpg

If you've got a turntable, then surely you don't need a run round loop.

• Like 1

Do you mean you can put the turntable at the end of the platform road? Some lines did do that.

post-33750-0-09775600-1519678518_thumb.png

Like this?

Layout as per post 99, add 2 road engine shed along side 2 road coach shed. Keeps all your administrative buildings together... almost a bit like Aylsham on Bure Valley... but with goods instead of 2 platforms, and the turntable on the wrong side.

post-33750-0-96770600-1519678524_thumb.png

Something along these lines? Hmm... I can see that working a bit more. Maybe some more tweaking. But I think Ican see what you're getting at.

And yes, almost forgot about the Bure Valley. Not sure how as I used to go there every Christmas as a kid for their Santa Special and to go around the awesome model shop at Aylsham station.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

I was thinking sheds alongside each other, but that works too!

The turntable at the end is instead of the pair of points making the loop. I.e. the table is used to access the run-round loop from the end of the platform road.

Hmm. I see. I'll try both, see which I prefer.

Also, I can see how the turntable being there would work. Gets a bit less confusing for me if it's a bit further away from everything else though to be honest.

• Like 2

Do you mean you can put the turntable at the end of the platform road? Some lines did do that.

The turntable at the end is instead of the pair of points making the loop. I.e. the table is used to access the run-round loop from the end of the platform road.

Turntables closing the loop, for instance, at:

- Alston, Newcastle & Carlisle/North Eastern Railway

- Rothbury, North British Railway in Northumberland

- Castle Aching, West Norfolk Railway

For similar, but using a fan table (looks like a turntable but does not go all the way round, but operates as a traverser) see several stations on the Isle of Wight Railway.

• Like 1

Happy 100th post on this thread, me! Yes it's irrelevant, I don't care, it means people actually care about what I'm doing!

attachicon.gifKelsby V5 concept.png

Speaking of people caring about what I'm doing, a concept for where to put the loco sheds (also made the turntable a little bigger). Any ideas? Something to me doesn't feel right about that but I have no idea where else to put them. Some additional input would be appreciated.

Happy 100th post!  ;)

I think with the loco sheds you could make the two into one larger shed and maybe add a couple of extra roads. I don't know if that would make it too big for the line your station is supposed to be on, but I'm sure you'll be making more locomotives and coming up with more ideas soon.

Turntables closing the loop, for instance, at:

- Alston, Newcastle & Carlisle/North Eastern Railway

- Rothbury, North British Railway in Northumberland

- Castle Aching, West Norfolk Railway

For similar, but using a fan table (looks like a turntable but does not go all the way round, but operates as a traverser) see several stations on the Isle of Wight Railway.

Hmm. Never been to any of these railways (I rarely leave East Anglia - I live in the middle of nowhere  and at the time of writing I have yet to pass my driver's test.) Seen enough about the IoMR though to see how the fan table would work. I'll mull that one over.

Happy 100th post!  ;)

I think with the loco sheds you could make the two into one larger shed and maybe add a couple of extra roads. I don't know if that would make it too big for the line your station is supposed to be on, but I'm sure you'll be making more locomotives and coming up with more ideas soon.

Yes, I will be making more locomotives. I actually don't have a specific number in mind for the end result (I only have two other locos in the planning stages at this exact moment but it'll almost certainly end up with more than that), so I have no idea how many sheds I'll need. So here. 

post-33750-0-21861000-1519719290_thumb.png

This is what I have. I decided to go for a four-road for the main shed at Kelsby. Plenty of room for BulldogWild Rover and another couple locomotives. Plus if Weybourne on the NNR can have a four-road shed then the KLR should be able to get away with it. Maybe it was built back when they were part-funded by the LNER. 

• Like 4

Decided to throw this together to demonstrate one of my ideas. You may recognise this.

post-33750-0-70599600-1519728785_thumb.png

This is what my intention of what KLR No.3 will look like once finished. However, I don't have the Pug chassis as previously noted so I have no idea what sort of scale all the parts actually are in relation to the chassis. Holden 101 smokebox and bunker, Smokey Joe tank, chimney and cab, and L&Y Pug chassis and bufferbeam (or something of similar size.  Can't find any of that chassis on cheap on eBay. Any suggestions?). Subject to change obviously.
Also ordered some old Triang livestock vans off eBay to repaint.

• Like 6

Hmm. Never been to any of these railways (I rarely leave East Anglia - I live in the middle of nowhere  and at the time of writing I have yet to pass my driver's test.) Seen enough about the IoMR though to see how the fan table would work. I'll mull that one over.

Yes, I will be making more locomotives. I actually don't have a specific number in mind for the end result (I only have two other locos in the planning stages at this exact moment but it'll almost certainly end up with more than that), so I have no idea how many sheds I'll need. So here. 

attachicon.gifKelsby V6.png

This is what I have. I decided to go for a four-road for the main shed at Kelsby. Plenty of room for BulldogWild Rover and another couple locomotives. Plus if Weybourne on the NNR can have a four-road shed then the KLR should be able to get away with it. Maybe it was built back when they were part-funded by the LNER. 

That number of shed roads implies workshops to me as well as storage, might be worth adding a short headshunt.

attachicon.gifKelsby V6.png

A traverser, whether or not in the form of a fan table, is a good Victorian feature and a neat space saver. This will only work for you if you either do not want/need a means of turning tender engines, or if you have a TT at your shed.  IoW was a tank engine line, of course.

The advantage of the TT closing the loop is, of course, that it combines the run round with the ability to turn locomotives. As such, it is a favourite device of mine and crops up in many plans.  At Fenchmarch, on the IoE&MR, the shed is located on the opposite side of the TT.  At Castle Aching the shed is on a kick back from the TT, as at Rothbury and Alston. 

A Light Railway, like a modern preserved line, might well simply elect to run its slow services tender first, not regarding the comfort of enginemen as worth the cost of a TT and pit, so I think your line has a genuine choice. 

Decided to throw this together to demonstrate one of my ideas. You may recognise this.

attachicon.gifKLR No.3 concept.png

This is what my intention of what KLR No.3 will look like once finished. However, I don't have the Pug chassis as previously noted so I have no idea what sort of scale all the parts actually are in relation to the chassis. Holden 101 smokebox and bunker, Smokey Joe tank, chimney and cab, and L&Y Pug chassis and bufferbeam (or something of similar size.  Can't find any of that chassis on cheap on eBay. Any suggestions?). Subject to change obviously.

Beware the pug chassis.  The motor is mounted vertically inside the cab, so only a fully enclosed cab has any chance of disguising it. 

Pendon has evidently taken to running a RTR Pug on Madder valley, and I notice that they seem to have sheeted over much of the cab cut -out, presumably to help disguise the motor filling the cab.

Other than a possible cab-redesign/retention of the original cab, your mock -up looks like a good plan.

You might want to add springs over the rear wheels, too.

Last time I looked, you were lucky to find a pug for less than Fifty Squids in the Bay of Fleas.

A traverser, whether or not in the form of a fan table, is a good Victorian feature and a neat space saver. This will only work for you if you either do not want/need a means of turning tender engines, or if you have a TT at your shed.  IoW was a tank engine line, of course.

The advantage of the TT closing the loop is, of course, that it combines the run round with the ability to turn locomotives. As such, it is a favourite device of mine and crops up in many plans.  At Fenchmarch, on the IoE&MR, the shed is located on the opposite side of the TT.  At Castle Aching the shed is on a kick back from the TT, as at Rothbury and Alston. 

A Light Railway, like a modern preserved line, might well simply elect to run its slow services tender first, not regarding the comfort of enginemen as worth the cost of a TT and pit, so I think your line has a genuine choice. 

Beware the pug chassis.  The motor is mounted vertically inside the cab, so only a fully enclosed cab has any chance of disguising it. 

Pendon has evidently taken to running a RTR Pug on Madder valley, and I notice that they seem to have sheeted over much of the cab cut -out, presumably to help disguise the motor filling the cab.

Other than a possible cab-redesign/retention of the original cab, your mock -up looks like a good plan.

You might want to add springs over the rear wheels, too.

Last time I looked, you were lucky to find a pug for less than Fifty Squids in the Bay of Fleas.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the heads-up. In that case, anyone have any other chassis suggestions for the modelmaker on a budget?

Excuse the crudeness of the drawing, but you should get the idea:

Wow. Excuse me if I nick this layout S.G, I love this concept. Why the heck didn't I think of something that compact? 

Speaking of concepts, another idea that popped into my head last night:

post-33750-0-38770300-1519734165.png

Brake-van body into tram.

• Like 7

From this concept by Satan's Goldfish:

post-33750-0-26760200-1519735142.jpg

To this:

post-33750-0-58879900-1519735148_thumb.png

The hard thing in any of the designs, however, will be the turntable. How to get it to work without any idea how to do wiring. I have literally NO electrical knowledge. I don't even know how to use a soldering iron. I suppose I could work it manually with some basic mechanics but the issue then is getting power to the track on the table itself.

• Like 2

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the heads-up. In that case, anyone have any other chassis suggestions for the modelmaker on a budget?

Wow. Excuse me if I nick this layout S.G, I love this concept. Why the heck didn't I think of something that compact? 

Speaking of concepts, another idea that popped into my head last night:

attachicon.gifKLR No.4 maybe.png

Brake-van body into tram.

A nice idea!

You'd need skirts and cowcatchers, of course.

You probably don't want the smoke box protruding so far into one driver compartment and that pesky Pug motor probably protrude into the other. 

Grabbed the picture below off the net.  The motor should not lean, it's evidently been pulled out, but the picture does show how far back it is mounted, aft of the rear wheels.

As for an alternative, well, the Hornby Peckett is your best bet, but hardly a budget option.

post-25673-0-10509600-1519736081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

A nice idea!

You probably don't want the smoke box protruding so far into one driver compartment and that pesky Pug motor probably protrude into the other. 

Grabbed the picture below off the net.  The motor should not lean, it's evidently been pulled out, but the picture does show how far back it is mounted, aft of the rear wheels.

As for an alternative, well, the Hornby Peckett is your best bet, but hardly a budget option.

Thanks. I have a Hornby Toby I can cut up for the skirts and such.

And the issue is I don't have the money to throw around. And if I bought a Peckett I wouldn't want to hack it up! It'd just become part of the KLR fleet. I meant one that can be bought on a budget that's small enough to make something like the Avonside-style KLR No.3 concept. 

How about the replacement chassis from High level? http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/Pages/pugpage.html designed to fit the Hornby Pug, but with the motor hidden inside the boiler/saddle tank.

Gary

Thanks for the assistance, but... as I already mentioned I don't own a soldering iron, I have no idea how to use a soldering iron or make a metal kit, and I have no knowledge of how to do wiring. So a metal kit is a little out of the question, as perfect as it otherwise would be. 

If I can find a prebuilt one on eBay, maybe. Unlikely within my usual price range though. The other suggestions I can think of are the Bachmann Percy/Junior "Greg" chassis and the Bachmann Bill/Ben chassis, though again finding them within my usual price range is going to be HARD. As always if anyone else can think of anything feel free.

Speaking of eBay, in my travels I found this:

post-33750-0-01419200-1519746287_thumb.png

What is this burgundy tank engine body shell, just out of curiosity?

• Like 2

A nice idea!

Coming off the same conversation:

post-33750-0-36243500-1519756987.png

~Wig wam bam, here's another small tram~

Please don't judge me for my musical taste...

Made some adjustments to the tram concept as per your suggestions, Edwardian. Thing is, I actually have most of the parts to make this. I'd just need the brakevan body and the smokebox/boiler. I'd rather have all the parts to hand to save time as I'm more trying to focus on the layout plan at the moment.

• Like 3

Well, here you go. Sorted this out as I'm not at work today. Thanks, uncharacteristically large amount of snow! Also screw you climate change for causing it!
post-33750-0-61827100-1519829072.png
What I think may be (roughly) the final version of Kelsby station. I am very happy with the layout. Thanks everyone for helping me with this. One station down two to go. (Stuff like coal staithes and the water column will be worked out at the time).

Also, another postal order update. I've now got four Triang blood-and-custards on the way from... I think Hemel Hempstead? to join the three livestock vans I bought a couple days ago. This gives me a solid start on a set of stock for the first days of the KLR.

• Like 3

Thanks for the assistance, but... as I already mentioned I don't own a soldering iron, I have no idea how to use a soldering iron or make a metal kit, and I have no knowledge of how to do wiring. So a metal kit is a little out of the question, as perfect as it otherwise would be. 

If I can find a prebuilt one on eBay, maybe. Unlikely within my usual price range though. The other suggestions I can think of are the Bachmann Percy/Junior "Greg" chassis and the Bachmann Bill/Ben chassis, though again finding them within my usual price range is going to be HARD. As always if anyone else can think of anything feel free.

Speaking of eBay, in my travels I found this:

attachicon.gif28383500_10215591914461292_642696489_n.png

What is this burgundy tank engine body shell, just out of curiosity?

That body is a hack up of various, I think.

Mind you, if a Joeuf 0-8-0 chassis fitted, it could become a purposfull tank engine!!

Though the cab isn't quite right though.

That body is a hack up of various, I think.

Mind you, if a Joeuf 0-8-0 chassis fitted, it could become a purposfull tank engine!!

Though the cab isn't quite right though.

Hmm. I should note that I didn't buy the lot (buying the aforementioned four blood-and-custard coaches instead), though that tank engine made it tempting for precisely that reason. A small country line like the KLR could really use a compact, powerful tank engine for freight work. And since I'm doing freelance it being "right" isn't an issue. 

Wishing I did get it now. Maybe I could have even lumped an 0-10-0 chassis under it from something; it seems like it was pretty sizeable. Ah well. I got four usable coaches instead. Best not to think about the could-have-beens in this situation.