Layout based on Thurso N Scale

richrock

As I mentioned in my Hello! post, I'll put my plan up here for scrutiny. Note that although it's all straight lines (cause I don't get on with xtrkcad) it will be subject to a more artistic eye when being laid. I based this on Thurso station, but made some allowances for space limitations, so the turntable has gone as in real life, and I reduced the number of goods sidings down from 4 to 2. I think there's still plenty for operational interest, it'll make shunting much more tricky!

I'm planning on BR nationalisation, so mostly steam, some diesel, provides a good mix of rolling stock too.

Anyway here's the plan, with amended notes. Let me know your thoughts.

(Apologies if this is too big - haven't worked on resizing yet)

thurso_based.jpg

Hi. Thurso is one of the plans I am currently considering in N gauge as well. I have a space of 12' x 2' and was considering using 11' by 18 inches as scenic with the hidden sidings sweeping round the last foot in a C shape and taking up the rear 6 inches.

I am considering a more recent time - either 1990 with 156 just being introduced and the odd 37 and mk2 rake (come on Bachmann bring them out in n gauge) and the Dapol 26 on a ballast train and (kitbuilt??) timber services with possibly a speedlink services added aswell. Or late 90's whereby you miss the 37 & hauled stock but can add transrail/ ews enterprise services with the cargowaggons/ VDA vans and odd container flat.

Your plan looks very nice and I can imagine it working well. The trackplan is fairly simple but would be interesting and the prototype has the added bonus a real bridge to act as a scenic break. Are you planning on a faithful representation of Thurso or just using the trackplan as a base for a just supposing style layout? I had considered using the Ratio station building/ trainshed as a base for the Thurso version - its a similar style but would need a bit of work to make a true replica. In general, if you need some help with images then I would suggest taking a look at ernies collection on fotopic. Although a bit later than your planned period he has taken quite a few picture of the buildings and general area rather than concentrating the the trains.

Thanks for the responses - fantastic.

I am loosely basing this layout on Thurso, although like I mentioned, it will lose a turntable, couple of sidings. The plan has been revised to allow a near scale station length, slight moving of points, etc.

Any photo's, especially of the goods area would be excellent. I'm thinking of changing the era to Early BR, so there's some diesel, some steam, and some of the track has been removed a la Beeching style.

Is there a link for ernies collection on fotopic? Just asking as any image resources would be well appreciated.

Off to the hardware shop to get materials for the baseboard - thanks to my lovely wife and a B&Q gift card!!!

Any photo's, especially of the goods area would be excellent. I'm thinking of changing the era to Early BR, so there's some diesel, some steam, and some of the track has been removed a la Beeching style.

!

Thurso is a timewarp- nearly all the goods yard track is still in place, apart from one or two sidings removed quite recently. I can think of hardly any other station tha still retains its steam era track layout. I can forward photos of the station if you need any.

Richard

Thanks for the photos, I'd found one or two on Google, just for inspirational purposes. I'm not aiming to do Thurso exactly, but have now thought about providing a scenic break for the fiddle yards, push them further back, and have a small MPD infront, to service both steam and diesel, as I'm looking at the early BR. Anything inspirational.

I've got my baseboards set up, really rigid as they're braced every foot, lots of screws and it's only 1foot wide. I think some form of running post like so many I've seen on here is in order.

Archived