Condensed Milk

• RMweb Gold

Must be about time to put up another possible layout project as its a while since I abandoned the last one! 

Inspired by the Milkwall area of the Forest of Dean : 

Starting with a very crude mock -up its maybe hard to envisage so will try return with a subsequent post - the last pic shows an overall view of the whole area at my disposal a 32x 16 piece of MDF - the reasons for using this will be explained ;) 
post-7-0-56498400-1518560793_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-60759100-1518560835_thumb.jpg
post-7-0-67977100-1518560894_thumb.jpg
post-7-0-73964100-1518561081_thumb.jpg
post-7-0-57638100-1518561113_thumb.jpg

partly inspired by Steve's N gauge layout :
 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85024-a-forest-of-dean-layout-in-an-a4-box-file/
and also a photo of prototype location 
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Milkwall/Pics/colour_works.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To expand.  Thinking I would get the photos and links up first before I accidentally deleted something!

I'd been trying to make layouts in the APA boxes but was coming up against problems of depth and also the bulkyness of the boxes for storage . Especially once I'd joined 2 together. 

This slablike piece of MDF nicely sits on the table and should not as such require bracing, I will probably avoid using too many water based substance , thinking of modelling clay infill for the tracks as opposed to ballast and PVA. 

-point operation can be hidden off scene as there is only one point needed where there will be a scenic break.

Deviating slightly from the prototype location I am thinking of having a loading dock on the rear siding for vans and coal cells on the front siding .  A locolift or cassette to be used for offstage.

A couple of 16 tonners , vans and a toad & pannier should be enough, though other things may appear! 

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)

To expand.  Thinking I would get the photos and links up first before I accidentally deleted something!

I'd been trying to make layouts in the APA boxes but was coming up against problems of depth and also the bulkyness of the boxes for storage . Especially once I'd joined 2 together. 

This slablike piece of MDF nicely sits on the table and should not as such require bracing, I will probably avoid using too many water based substance , thinking of modelling clay infill for the tracks as opposed to ballast and PVA. 

-point operation can be hidden off scene as there is only one point needed where there will be a scenic break.

Deviating slightly from the prototype location I am thinking of having a loading dock on the rear siding for vans and coal cells on the front siding .  A locolift or cassette to be used for offstage.

A couple of 16 tonners , vans and a toad & pannier should be enough, though other things may appear! 

You could seal the MDF then you could use water based products. I used Rustins MDF sealer ...other sealers are available!!!

• RMweb Gold

Today has included assembling enough of the C&L trackbase to allow all the visible track to be such, code 75 peco to be confined to the non visible parts. 

I am using a Peco point LH med radius some of which will be visible but will mostly be under a bridge, re-sleepering at the diverging end is a possibility, but will see how it looks.

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)