How to order from Shawplan?

Well, until relatively recently in the great scheme of things, one sent a written enquiry with an SAE; received a written quotation; sent an order with cheque payment; and received the goods in due course. I believe that the system still works, archaic though some may now perceive it to be.

Indeed, in your written enquiry you could perhaps suggest a quotation via e-mail, to speed things up slightly.

Relatively simples!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well I suppose if you start counting from the big bang then yes, but since it has been possible to take orders by phone long before I was born, which was not yesterday as it happens, being only able to communicate by post is not something that happened 'relatively recently'!

Just as well I am not in a hurry, so I will give him more than a reasonable chance to respond, and if I have to resort to doing it all by post so be it.

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

Well I suppose if you start counting from the big bang then yes, but since it has been possible to take orders by phone long before I was born, which was not yesterday as it happens, being only able to communicate by post is not something that happened 'relatively recently'!

Just as well I am not in a hurry, so I will give him more than a reasonable chance to respond, and if I have to resort to doing it all by post so be it.

As a small supplier, I do not take orders by telephone - that means of communication is far too intrusive into my private life for my taste.

I have chosen to accept e-mail orders with on-line payment, but I completely sympathise with those traders who do not do so.

At the end of the day, few if any small traders make our living from supplying modellers; if we choose to limit the extent to which such activities impinge on our lives is up to us.

If potential customers don't like our trading terms, perhaps they can source their requirements elsewhere?

No? Such is life!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Are you volunteering ??????

I’m not a student.

I don’t know why you keep defending this antiquated approach to communication John,

A company doesn’t deserve to prosper unless it has a communications system that makes it easy for the customers to make contact.

It shouldn’t be akin to sending HF radiowaves into far space hoping for some contact...

Edited by rob D2

I’m not a student.

I don’t know why you keep defending this antiquated approach to communication John,

A company doesn’t deserve to prosper unless it has a communications system that makes it easy for the customers to make contact.

It shouldn’t be akin to sending HF radiowaves into far space hoping for some contact...

Rob,

while having several communication avenues for customers is clearly very important, they can also provide a genuine downside for a small business, especially in the case of emails.

People are increasingly inclined to use the keyboard rather than their brains, asking questions that with a little thought can often be found in the suppliers website or catalogue. They often fail to outline their wants clearly, omit relevant information relating to their question or expect the supplier to carry out research on their behalf. Don't ask how I know, just take it as genuine.

So, it helps both customer and supplier if enquiries are properly  thought out, clearly expressed and, in the case of small suppliers, aren't unrealistic in what they ask. If not, then the business owner starts to get brassed off with having to spend what becomes an excessive amount of time on enquiries, especially if those don't turn into orders. That's not good for either the customers or supplier.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

I’m not a student.

Rob d2,

I'm afraid that you are completely missing the point!

I don't operate 'a company'; I produce transfer sheets for my own use.

I was asked to make these transfers available to other modellers.

I did so, even though doing so takes up a very significant proportion of my own modelling time.

I do not advertise my transfers ANYWHERE; I don't attend model railway exhibitions; so you can only buy my transfers directly from me.

I have a website only to save me getting huge amounts of e-mails and letters asking if I can produce xyz - what you see listed is what's available.

I do not need the modest income from selling transfers, though it does allow me to undertake my own modelling at a lower cost to my budget.

In view of the foregoing, if you want my transfers I will supply them on my own terms - like it or not!

Finally, you would be amazed how many small suppliers the foregoing applies to.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Like 5

People tend to forget that the internet is only ONE form of communication there are plenty of others. Some people prefer to speak to a human and verify their exact needs. That is why some people still visit shops and do not do everything on line

People tend to forget that the internet is only ONE form of communication there are plenty of others. Some people prefer to speak to a human and verify their exact needs. That is why some people still visit shops and do not do everything on line

If I could talk to him and/or visit a shop I would!  But he won't pick up the phone, and even shops or other places that are supposed to stock his items can't get in contact to re-order, see here!

https://www.petersspares.com/detailing-shawplan.irc

• RMweb Gold

I’m not a student.

My personal 2 penn'orth.

Brian, along with many other small suppliers, is not a company in the generally accepted sense of the word, he is a sole trader/one man band/stressed individual trying to supply the needs of fellow modellers.

It is not an ideal situation, and Brian would be the first to admit the fact, but having personal experience of the amount of effort and hours he puts in, I think every one should cut him some slack.

If he were to jack it all in and go back to a proper job that pays a decent hourly rate we would all be far worse off.

Mike.

Rob d2,

I'm afraid that you are completely missing the point!

I don't operate 'a company'; I produce transfer sheets for my own use.

I was asked to make these transfers available to other modellers.

I did so, even though doing so takes up a very significant proportion of my own modelling time.

I do not advertise my transfers ANYWHERE; I don't attend model railway exhibitions; so you can only buy my transfers directly from me.

I have a website only to save me getting huge amounts of e-mails and letters asking if I can produce xyz - what you see listed is what's available.

I do not need the modest income from selling transfers, though it does allow me to undertake my own modelling at a lower cost to my budget.

In view of the foregoing, if you want my transfers I will supply them on my own terms - like it or not!

Finally, you would be amazed how many small suppliers the foregoing applies to.

Regards,

John isherwood.

You seem to be in a different zone John, as it’s clear from your “ I will supply them on my own terms like it or not “, you are not a business trying to make a few quid, more acting as a service to get rid of your surplus production.

ASDA wouldn’t get far with that as a slogan !

I don’t have a downer on shawplan , just frustration that he has good bits that are hard to get

Well I need some parts from Shawplan. I have started the difficult process of trying to order. Yesterday several phone calls throughout the day, all unanswered, not even by answering machine.  I have sent a detailed e-mail last night, as outlined in this thread. I will still phone from time to time to see if I can get an answer.

Hopefully I will have made some kind of contact by the weekend, will keep you posted!

Send him a cheque - guess the amount compared to other products and if you have overpayed give him your Paypal address for a refund.

Otherwise suggest how he can make up the difference with some glazing.

I would think he may even give yhou some products on approval if you give him a nod on this website here.

I promise you that this will be the easiest and quickest way.

A satisfied customer.

• RMweb Premium

You seem to be in a different zone John, as it’s clear from your “ I will supply them on my own terms like it or not “, you are not a business trying to make a few quid, more acting as a service to get rid of your surplus production.

ASDA wouldn’t get far with that as a slogan !

I don’t have a downer on shawplan , just frustration that he has good bits that are hard to get

rob D2,

I'm not in any zone - I just try to assist other modellers who haven't got my printing facilities.

I don't have surplus production, nor any stock whatsoever, for that matter. Every sheet is printed to order from a digital design file; I simply recover the the cost of materials, packing and postage, plus a small allowance to compensate for the loss of some of my modelling time.

What I do is a genuine attempt to assist fellow modellers; it's a shame that most people nowadays can't believe that some of us actually don't want to continually increase sales.

Equally, they can't respect our wish to limit how and when we communicate; all part of the 'I want it now!' attitude that is so prevalent today.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yeah, that’s my whole point John, - you are not a business .

When I deal with a business , I want the professionalism of dealing with one.

I’ll leave it at that, as we are going round in circles