Hornby class 50

bodiddle

Does anyone know if the louvers from a Lima 50 body will fit in the Hornby model. I've stupidly broke one of mine fetching the body off and can't get replacement anywhere. All the usual suppliers have none in stock for the blue models. I could get a lima body but not sure if I could get them off without breaking them.Not bothered about them not moving. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes that's what I am going to do I think. It's seems it's a common problem as everyone hasn't got any blue ones which are the best sellers. They don't even know when they will get new stocks. That's Hornby for you.

Blue ones will cover the largest period of their lives from new in pre-TOPS blue to BR Blue to Large Logo livery and even subsequent one-offs in Laira Blue or D400 repaints.

You can look on it both ways, they should be the most popular ones for replacements, but you'd also expect the most worthwhile for Hornby to have as spares without carrying too big a stock of random colours

• RMweb Gold

Shawplan do replacement radiator grills for the Hornby 50 and other modern diesel locos.

Might be a good place to start and they are much better quality than the originals.

Shawplan do not do the radiator grilles as far as I know. They do the roof fan and grille and other bits and pieces. PH design do a radiator grille but it is very fiddly.

I will check with Shawplan tomorrow at Glasgow show but unless its a recent addition I am almost certain they do not do it.

Sorry for misleading anyone, yes you are quite correct BR Blue, it is PH designs who manufacture etched replacement radiator grills for the Hornby 50.

I've just checked online and these are currently listed (Part No PH50DS2). This detailing kit also contains steps and other bits and pieces which may come in useful.

They should be available to purchase, priced at £4.75 + £3.00 p+p.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Be very careful! I've took them off before with no problems but this time it caught me out because the body tilted off the chassis before I could grab hold of the middle. Make sure you keep the body level when lifting it off! Good luck.

The lima ones fit fine and what I used on my 50s (they're on my Flickr page if you're interested). I think they actually look better than Hornby's versions.

I've also built one set of ph designs grooves... I gave up simply because I'd 7 sets to build and couldn't face it. I have some spare ones if you want to try... please pm me.

Cheers

Will

Thanks but I saw the kit from P.H designs and they looked daunting! If I can't get anything then I might try the Lima ones if you say they will fit. Do they come out without any problems? Seen your flicker page, they look fab!

Edited by bodiddle

Thanks but I saw the kit from P.H designs and they looked daunting! If I can't get anything then I might try the Lima ones if you say they will fit. Do they come out without any problems? Seen your flicker page, they look fab!

It's a hacksaw job.... i did feel a little bad cutting up the Lima body  :O

Glad you've got yourself sorted!

cheers

Will

• Like 1