RMweb

WR Reporting Numbers

nicktamarensis

Hello,

I have two photographs of diesel hauled services on the WR in the 1960's.  Can anyone help with the following reporting numbers please?

1.D1030 at Birmingham Snow Hill on 19 January 1965 with the '1V19'.  By the direction of the train it looks to be an Up service (to Paddington?) but if so where did it come from?

2. D7036 in Sonning Common in January 1963 heading for Reading with '1V14'.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

In the Winter 1966-67 WTT !V19 was the11.45 M-S Birkenhead - Paddington.

1V14 was the 08.55 M-S Birkenhead but that too came up the Joint Line and it would have been most unusual to find it with a Hymek on it so it sounds like it might be an incorrect headcode shown on the loco although it might conceivably have been a diversion due to the weather and a possible changed loco due to a failure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Birkenhead was London Midland so any train to the Western would have been V.

In January 1963 the railway spent most days on chaos and confusion, with lots of substitutions, diversions and short turn rounds so headcodes may have been last on the crew's list of what to worry about.

• RMweb Gold

I looked in the Paddington Station working book for the 1962-3 winter but couldn't find any reference to 1V14, so I would say it is possibly one which hadn't been changed from an earlier train. The only one which came via Oxford was the overnight from Birkenhead which was 1V15, but the formation is wrong for that.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Stationmaster.

This is the pic of the Hymek - you could be right about the weather!!

Definitely an incorrect headcode on that one - the train is definitely on the Down Main east of Reading so it is heading away from Paddington and shouldn't be carrying a 'V' headcode as it has originated on the Western Region.

And yes, I'm right about the weather as I remember that winter quite well (although I was still at school.  But less than 10 miles from where that picture was taken - at Woodley)

• RMweb Gold

I would guess that its previous Down working was through Bristol or Cardiff from the Midland line or North & West, although the only 1V14 I can find around that period was a dated summer relief from the Eastern Region to Devon.

It could be something on the Portsmouth - Bristol - Cardiff route possibly.

• RMweb Gold

It could be something on the Portsmouth - Bristol - Cardiff route possibly.

Good call, Mike. I'd forgotten that one. In 1961 there was a 1V14 in the evening from Salisbury to Cardiff. I would think that was a good chance of a Hymek. Possibly still the same working in 1963, with D7036 then having run to the London area and returning west. It was a Canton loco at the time.

• Like 1

Good call, Mike. I'd forgotten that one. In 1961 there was a 1V14 in the evening from Salisbury to Cardiff. I would think that was a good chance of a Hymek. Possibly still the same working in 1963, with D7036 then having run to the London area and returning west. It was a Canton loco at the time.

Many thanks guys,

I'll include this info within the caption for the pic. which eventually appear in British Railways Illustrated as part of a railwayman's memories.

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

SE - as you've got the relevant Paddington Station Working Book you might even be able to get an idea of which train it might be; 9 coach train including a diner

• RMweb Gold

The train behind the Hymek matches the formation listed above very closely except that there is a miniature buffet ahead of the RU rather than an open second.

The Winter 1962-3 Paddington Station Working book is available here.

Thanks Robert. I was couldn't work out what those two were but thought the rest was a pretty good match, especially for that February.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, slilley said:

Just jumping on this thread wondering if anyone can help me with a query from around 1973/74 and which service 1A17 was into Paddington?

May 1974 Mon-Sat, 0635 and 1252 Swansea-Paddington. Both were formed of Mark 2e/f air-conditioned stock. 0845 Swansea-Paddington on Sundays. 

Don't have May 1973 to hand at present.