Bachmann Peppercorn A1 and A2 general qualities

robmcg

• RMweb Premium
On 30/03/2024 at 16:38, sirwilliamfrs said:

I have mentioned to Bachmann in the past the possibility of them producing no. 60539 BRONZINO, the last A2 built, fitted with a double chimney, Kylchap blastpipe and no multiple-valve regulator, unlike the others with double chimneys. It  performed very well in tests against A1 60114, was a favourite of enginemen and widely believed to be the best of the class. It would make a third version of the A2 and hopefully a popular one with only minor alterations.

If you can source an A2 it is quite easy to change the chimney etc. and produce 60539. I am not up to date as to the availability of the A2s.

A260539Bronzino(1).JPG.ef95be58e79b213f561f19d70273788b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

If you can source an A2 it is quite easy to change the chimney etc. and produce 60539. I am not up to date as to the availability of the A2s.

Brand new no chance. 2nd hand a good number on eBay.  

22 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

Whose chimney did you use?

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, davidw said:

Whose chimney did you use?

David,

From memory it was from the late Dave Alexander who produced quite a few of useful detailing castings.

Eric

• Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see if the current condition blue version will appear in the next set of announcements and think it is a bit of open goal. Would be nice with some upgrades but would happily get it as the model is at the moment. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I haven’t an A2 in express blue and I’d be very happy to buy one. With Blue Peter emerging in blue, it would be a good time for Bachmann to produce one.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but in reality A2s didn't carry BR blue livery, until (it appears) the preserved Blue Peter is now to be turned out in  that colour.

4 hours ago, 31A said:

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but in reality A2s didn't carry BR blue livery, until (it appears) the preserved Blue Peter is now to be turned out in  that colour.

The Thompson and Peppercorn A2s were designed as mixed traffic locos, with driving wheels the same diameter (6' 2") as the V2s. Thus they weren’t, as you say, painted express passenger blue even though they were used as express locomotives due to post war shortages. It won’t spoil my fun; after all, I have a Tornado.

• Like 1