Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

The snowdrifts don't have a collision factor built in Martin which is why I've knocked the really deep ones down a bit so they are of a size that a train could plausibly push through.  I've just now finished attaching a snowplow to a Northiam clone so I can have one with and one without and the one not in use can hide in the back of the engine shed out of sight.

Don't worry Martin I like hearing about what you did with MSTS back then.  It seems like an awful lot of thinking outside the square was going on pushing the simulator into unknown territory and as a result giving you all much more than was written on the tin.  (So many mixed metaphors.......)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Now with snowplow.  It's actually an NBR one, but the plow's maker did it so that it could be fitted to any engine with the right handful of magical script incantations.

Edit:  When I first downloaded 'Northiam' it had an engine spec file for a much larger engine which not only gave it an insane turn of speed, but also gave it the haulage capacity of an 8F.  That kind of thing does not impress me at all as I like my small tank engines to behave like small tank engines which means that they can be a bit of a challenge to drive well especially on a line like the K&ESR that had some fairly fearsome gradients in places as well as more than a few tight curves.  Anyway after a lot of fettling and adjusting I now have a very nice small tank engine that can run properly on it's own line of railway.  The only other Col. Stephen's engine I'm aware of that's readily available is 'Hecate' the much too big and heavy 0-8-0.  I do have 'Hecate', but she's not exactly suitable for running on the K&ESR.  Somewhere I've got 'Hesperus' archived away, but she was never available on the DLS and I think the website that originally offered her has now closed down.

qA8X5y7.jpg

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That looks great.

Yes, we did push the boundaries a bit. We invented another invisible wagon of almost zero length with a mass of 100,000 tons and no couplings and parked it right at the ends of our sidings. This made it look like wagons would hit and stop at the virtual buffer stops, it also meant you could loose and fly shunt which was a real art but was terifically satisfying to do when you got it right. You had to adjust the physics files of your wagons so they'd have less tendency to derail but letting go of a couple of coal wagons and seeing them creep down a siding until they gently bumped against the stop block was great fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much  James.  You know me, - anything light railway or tramway and I'm in.  It's been very satisfying bringing this old favourite Trainz layout up to the latest specs.  I have the Summer version as well, but that's going to take a bit more work to get it sorted out.

Fitting the snowplow was definitely the right thing to do and I'm glad I remembered that it was available.  'Northiam' looks much better now as a Winter engine and I'm sure that now she's all sorted out I'm going to have a lot of fun driving her.

G15 No.125 should not be on the K&ESR, but it's really surprising just how well a GER tram engine fits in on the line.  Perhaps I'll dent history and say it was on hire for a month or two.

Keep telling your MSTS stories Martin and of course any pictures you still have are more than welcome as I always like to see them.

Edit: and I've just discovered that 'Hesperus' is available again.  The website was closed for a while, but now it's back up again with a new hosting service.  https://tomixnscale89.wixsite.com/railroad-workshops/copy-of-british-railways

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the website where I got 'Hesperus' from being a TtTE affiliated website it had some of their strange figures as the footplate crew so I quickly changed that.  A couple more of Bob Sander's workman figures got a promotion to footplate crew today.

UEYXVRQ.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes Martin I've had my Madder Valley wagons out on test to see if they work Ok in TS2019 (or that's my excuse anyway).

Lots and lots of trees have been replaced.  The layout's original builder used a huge variety of trees which has made it a bit of a lengthy job with finding enough suitable replacements.  I'm very nearly there with it though so I'm starting to move onto looking at other things that need a little tidy up.

With the whole line being true scale length as well as the landscape being correctly modelled through the use of DEM data it's an certainly an interesting railway to play trains on.

• RMweb Premium

Something I did a while ago was make a signal box for the Windweather end of the tramway.  I started with a timber GWR signal box on a brick base and reskinned it into an all timber signal box that I hoped would show a family resemblance to the small Windweather Tramway station buildings.

hL1zcuB.jpg

n9eGD36.jpg

I dressed it up a bit inside with some odds and ends found on the DLS.

6TwHnAj.jpg

The base mesh is horrible to work with as it has twists in it and it maps the textures onto itself in really odd ways.  I did my best to solve the problems, but ended up giving up frustration.  I will come back to it at some stage and try to look at it with fresh eyes.  I wanted horizontal planking like the old Saxby and Farmer signal boxes, but I may end up having to to do the upper part with vertical planking.  The mesh twists don't really show up much with vertical planks for some reason.

4TZHt4i.jpg

As a final touch I decided to make a faux locking frame to go under the signal box.  Its nice clear clean window showed all too clearly that there was nothing underneath the signal box so I made a simple textured cube that I could place behind the window.  You can only see any detail when close to the window, but at least there is now something underneath the signal box!

w6mzZrn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm gradually tracing down all the K&SER engines that are available on the DLS.  The only problem with finding No.4 is that I can't run 'Hesperus' because 'Hesperus' was swapped for No.4 (0335) in a deal done with the Southern Railway.  Not that I can really use 'Hesperus' anyway since it's too big for the line and the lightweight nature of the trackwork.  (MVR wagons to the fore, - they have been well tested now).

bUrTkh5.jpg

z251rOj.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's an old ex-LSWR saddle tank Martin.  It was on the Southern Railway's duplicate list when it was traded to the K&ESR.  Being an older digital model I gave it a bit of a sort out so it runs much better now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also have Angela Halliday's Summer version of the K&SER which is proving to be a lot more work to bring up to TS2019 standards because of course everything isn't covered in snow.  It's going well though and I am getting somewhere with it.  I'm using my old Edinburgh & Leith 2-4-0ST on the inspection train since it's impossible for the AI's robot drivers to overspeed it. 

DdmsIMo.jpg

iDV8dyP.jpg

Edited by Annie
Fixing awful mistakes
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes the new game engine in TS2019 is very much about shadows and being able to adjust the light settings more finely James.  I'm very much enjoying finding out what this new version of the simulator can do.

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Coming soon to Trainz.  Another superb engine from Edward Heaps (edh6).  Now go and wipe the drool from your chins.......

M&SWJ 2-6-0 No.16. Though I thought she was known as Galloping Gertie.

I almost built the M&SWJ in MSTS many years ago. I love their collection of locos, especially the early small tank engines and their glorious but ill-fated 4-4-4s. Plus of course my second favourite engine of all time, the Dubs 2-4-0s which looked superb with round topped fireboxes before Swindon abused them. I support all things GWR but in my view putting Belpaire fireboxes on those locos ruined their appearance. The early M&SWJ coaching stock is fascinating too. Along with military camp traffic in the Great War there is a lot of interesting traffic on the line. Time and interests moved on however and it never got built although No.16 was built by a friend.

I'd still like to model part of it in 4mm one day.

• Like 2