Bachmann Class 166 DMU - Updating Lighting

davidprentice

Hi all

I'm finally returning to the hobby after a decade away, and am struck by how outdated the original light fittings are in my collection of Bachmann OO Class 166 DMUs. The yellow LED headlights are less than prototypical! I was wondering whether anyone on here might have had experience in refitting with something more convincing or know of any suitable kits for the purpose?

Hope I've put this in the right place!

Best,

David

Hi all

I'm finally returning to the hobby after a decade away, and am struck by how outdated the original light fittings are in my collection of Bachmann OO Class 166 DMUs. The yellow LED headlights are less than prototypical! I was wondering whether anyone on here might have had experience in refitting with something more convincing or know of any suitable kits for the purpose?

Hope I've put this in the right place!

Best,

David

Hi David

Welcome to the forum. Try Express Models they do lighting kits to replace the factory fitted items.

www.expressmodels.co.uk

HTH

Ken

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion I will take a look to see if I can find something specific for the 166!

I should also add that I have found this old thread too: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65745-fitting-dcc-directional-lighting-to-Bachmann-class-166-fgw/

When I get around to deciding on my way forward, I will endeavour to document it for the benefit of others!

Best,

David

Edited by davidprentice
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

This may be very late as this is four years ago since you asked and you may have already found a solution, but there is a specific Class 166 lighting kit now available from Track3D that looks good. 

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store/products/class-166-lighting-kit

Sorry to hijack the thread, but would it be possible to tell me which carriage the motor is in on a Bachmann 166 as I am wondering how easy it would be to convert one to a class 165.

Thanks,

Stan

• Like 1

@Stan68

Motor is in the middle carriage but they share a common chassis design so you can swap it and just have to move sound underframe mouldings and swap the bogie frames with couplings. In recent years I upgraded the lighting and DCC fitted one which involved wiring up some new LED’s(if that kit was around would’ve saved me lots of time). I think I also had to file down one of the body retaining clips from looking thought my photos I took at the time.4E1C903A-D314-4B25-9BE4-E1BDE4157766.jpeg.8b4f4f076a783bd892fa636630f3016f.jpeg65288E46-E1E4-4B43-AFB8-F53DEA6B2D12.jpeg.81fe39aef5ccc7cd03de219fdf3a13db.jpegF0F1D03B-B4B7-4291-A2DD-EA7BAFB0B8D8.jpeg.5e56564eb773469645168670fcf33be5.jpegA8ECB6C1-5AF6-439C-AF81-D3FEDA4EA77B.jpeg.01c2e23a1778b50cb05e60f22db46004.jpeg

Quick video showing it running after upgrade and I can report even with the motor in a driving car it can run across set track points with motor at rear with no issues at all.

I do like these older Bachmann DMU’s despite the DCC and lighting issues they seem solid.

OliverSR

P.S. If anyone has a SWT 159 they fancy letting me have for a steal please do message😂

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/10/2022 at 14:49, Stan68 said:

This may be very late as this is four years ago since you asked and you may have already found a solution, but there is a specific Class 166 lighting kit now available from Track3D that looks good. 

https://www.track3drailwayparts.store/products/class-166-lighting-kit

I've used this to update my FGW Neon 166 and a 165 conversion and they work really well and are very easy to install.

I'm also in the process of updating my NSE ones to WIPAC lighting clusters from Track3D which require a little more effort, needs a hole drilled for the marker lights and head taillight holes opened up a bit but the result is far superior than the original Bachmann LED's.

• Like 1