East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition March 10/11 2018

John K

The East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition, on March 10th and 11th, will again bring together many of the very best model railway layouts from around the country.

There are 32 layouts for you to see in all of the popular gauges including some continental and, many have not been seen in this part of the country before.

There will be 28 traders who will be selling all the much needed items required for making the hobby come to life, and this year, we also have four demonstrators showing you various modelling techniques.
The Show is open 10-5 on Saturday and 10-4 on Sunday.

The Summit (Draper's Sidings) by Yeovil Model Railway Group is pictured. With a footprint of 47 by 27 feet, you will not be able to miss this layout at our exhibition. The Summit is 7mm / O gauge on a grand scale and was voted Railway Modeller's Railway of the Year in 2016. The layout is loosely based on the summit of the Settle and Carlisle Railway at Ais Gill. The track layout, with the lay-by sidings, is close to what once existed here. The viaduct is based on the one at Ais Gill but the fell side has been brought closer to the railway.

post-8675-0-76202800-1519725598_thumb.jpg

The Summit Photo by Steve Flint courtesy of Railway Modeller

In contrast to The Summit, The Sidings by Nick Gurney in 4mm / OO gauge provides a modern scene in a small space, measuring just over 6 feet in length and 1 foot wide with a scenic section of only four feet. Nick has tried to incorporate several features from the modern railway including a GSM-R phone mast with cabin and trackside relay cabinets some modelled with the doors open and the associated cable trunking. The layout is inspired by York parcel sidings, where predominantly DRS locos are stabled although other operators’ locos can be seen from time to time.

post-8675-0-77445100-1519724406_thumb.jpg

Creating a local scene, Fenchurch St Peter by George Woodcock, John Norton and Richard Coleman, is also 4mm / OO gauge and it represents a small remote station situated in the East Anglian Fens in the area between March, Wisbech and Spalding.

post-8675-0-09153200-1519724443_thumb.jpg

Fenchurch St Peter. Photo by Paul Bason courtesy of Railway Modeller

For our younger visitors there is a children’s layout, Shabbey Road, so that they can ‘drive a train’ and we have rides inside on a 71/4 inch gauge electric train and outside on a 4 inch scale traction engine.

If you need a ride from Huntingdon Railway station to or from the Britten Arena at Wood Green Animal Charity Centre, Godmanchester, PE29 2NH then please use the free vintage bus service. Wood Green Animal Charity Centre offers ample free car parking, excellent food and other facilities to enjoy while you are there.

post-8675-0-98789400-1519724626_thumb.jpg

The East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition is organised by St Neots Model Railway Club. If you would like to know more about the exhibition visit http://www.stneotsmrc.com/exhibitions or find the East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/East-Anglian-Model-Railway-Exhibition-308140952659301/

Any queries, contact Exhibition Manager, Jackie Kneeshaw 01480 454927

Come and see us...

Edited by John K
  • Like 3

The Summit is brilliant.

It doesn’t go out to exhibitions very often, so it may be the only chance some people get to see it.

My advice is come on Sunday - you’ll probably get a better view.

John K

Edited by John K

The Summit is brilliant.

It doesn’t go out to exhibitions very often, so it may be the only chance some people get to see it.

My advice is come on Sunday - you’ll probably get a better view.

John K

For those who cannot get to St Neots the only other exhibition that The Summit is currently booked in for this year is Railex 2018 in Aylesbury at the end of May.  Nothing else in the diary at this time.

• RMweb Premium

I intend to be there with a young man celebrating his 10th birthday (and his dad, who is a bit older). The birthday boy will be wearing a badge telling everyone that he is 10, the wizzened old boy with him will be me so pop over and say hello.

Here's a few more photos to keep you going until the weekend.

Caradon Junction - Classic 4mm Western - 70s Blues by Mike Kelly

post-8675-0-06421700-1520444111_thumb.jpg

Mosquito Falls - On30 Canadian logging by De Haviland MRS

post-8675-0-04892700-1520444138_thumb.jpg

Sidmouth - Super Southern P4 by Richard Harper

Photo by Paul Bason courtesy Railway Modeller

post-8675-0-20895300-1520444188_thumb.jpg

Come and see all 32 layouts. I can't post photos of all of them, but there are some more pictures on our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/East-Anglian-Model-Railway-Exhibition-308140952659301/

John K

Edited for silly typo

Edited by John K
  • Like 2

Breaking News – addition car park

Our Show is very popular so we have found a new area of additional car parking on hard ground (rather than wet field). Because this new car park is 700yds from the Wood Green gate we have also provided a shuttle service to and from the Show.

This shuttle will be in addition to the vintage bus service running to the railway station.

John K

• RMweb Premium

Breaking News – addition car park

Our Show is very popular so we have found a new area of additional car parking on hard ground (rather than wet field). Because this new car park is 700yds from the Wood Green gate we have also provided a shuttle service to and from the Show.

This shuttle will be in addition to the vintage bus service running to the railway station.

John K

That will please my friends young son who is 'in to' buses.

The queue to get from the car park to the hall is currently taking about an hour to move.

Looks like the organisers have been seriously let down. I wouldn't recommend travelling here.

David

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Went to this exhibition today - arrived at 10 and left at 3.30.

Really great - fantastic layouts and good trade.  Bit disappointed with the "weathing demonstration" - not much being done there, never mind!

Animal centre tea bar very efficient - excellent hot drinks and snacks.  Very reasonable price £1 for a large coffee or tea.

A great shame they are closing the arena and there will be no exhibition at this venue next year.  It will be hard to get a place as good IMO.

Well done organisers, exhibitors, stewards and animal centre staff.

The queue to get from the car park to the hall is currently taking about an hour to move.

Looks like the organisers have been seriously let down. I wouldn't recommend travelling here.

David

I arrived at the overflow car park at 13.30. The was a large queue of very cold and damp people waiting for a small mini-bus to depart. It was clear that I could expect a long wait in the rain before getting a seat on the bus, so I decided to drive around the car park (which is itself a building site) and go home.

Non too impressed, sorry.