The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best and Worst Western Movies.

allan downes

I’m surprised that no one’s mentioned “The man who shot Liberty Valance”

Oh, yes!

Sorry about "The  man who shot Liberty Valance" but it desperately scrapes the bottom of my most boring Western List.

Only good bits I can just about recall is when given every opportunity, Lee Marvin really hammed up his character as LV and helped along by Lee Van Cleef's equally hamming it up as his side kick, Reese.

Jimmy Stewart on the other hand was an absolute bore in every scene he appeared in.

Too much apple pie, not enough gun play for me.

Yet, and given a better script and opportunity, Lee Marvin positively shines in "The Professionals " as does Lee Van Cleef in "The good, the bad, and the ugly "

It's sometimes a case of good actors trying to make a good fist out of a crap script than it is of a  crap script trying to make a good fist out of good actors - and of course, Micheal Caine was the master at this where he was once quoted as saying " Give me anything. If  there's good money in it, I'll do it. And most times even if there isn't which  for most times there wasn't. I'm in this industry to collect money, not Oscars"

Good to see another vote for "Bad Day at Black Rock", a film I never tire of seeing.

Got it on dvd but still have to sit watch it when it pops up on TCM at the weekends.

Yes indeed, a very good film for its time and only Spencer Tracy could  have taken the part.

Truly an all round excellent movie.

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody mentioned The Quick and the Dead? Another in the category of probably not great art but solid entertainment and good fun, Gene Hackman was his usual solid and reliable self hamming it up as John Herod and Sharon Stone playing a surprisingly strong role.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody mentioned The Quick and the Dead? Another in the category of probably not great art but solid entertainment and good fun, Gene Hackman was his usual solid and reliable self hamming it up as John Herod and Sharon Stone playing a surprisingly strong role.

I know it... big clock from memory

Andy

That is a terrific detail. 

Bear in mind that I only know about the gravestone because Fistful was on TV a couple of weeks ago. It's not like I've remembered it for 30 years or anything.

• RMweb Premium

Bear in mind that I only know about the gravestone because Fistful was on TV a couple of weeks ago. It's not like I've remembered it for 30 years or anything.

but...

This is the point.. he finds the Poncho in the last 15 mins of TGTBATU. So he finds it 1865 for example and he rides into Fist full in 1873 or later wearing the Poncho. Its a prequel (at least as far as his clothes are concerned

Andy

• RMweb Gold

but...

This is the point.. he finds the Poncho in the last 15 mins of TGTBATU. So he finds it 1865 for example and he rides into Fist full in 1873 or later wearing the Poncho. Its a prequel (at least as far as his clothes are concerned

Andy

Lady Bacon drives me mad pointing out continuity within a programme, but she's never taken it across several films. . . . . .

• Like 1

Another almost forgotten Western with Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif  with great supporting cast is M'Kenna's Gold.

omar-sharif-gregory-peck-mackennas-gold-

Mackennas_Gold_Canyon_de_Chelly.jpg

McKennasGoldKnifeFight.jpg

A stark reminder that these days we just don't seem to have many actors (if any at all) with the same class and of the same calibre as the likes of Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, James Coburn, Robert Vaughan, Burt Lancaster, Steve McQueen, James Garner, Anthony Quinn, Paul Newman, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracey... etc... etc... 

A stark reminder that these days we just don't seem to have many actors (if any at all) with the same class and of the same calibre as the likes of Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, James Coburn, Robert Vaughan, Burt Lancaster, Steve McQueen, James Garner, Anthony Quinn, Paul Newman, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracey... etc... etc... 

Be careful - reminiscing about such a male dominated film industry will be frowned on today 

Be careful - reminiscing about such a male dominated film industry will be frowned on today 

The big difference between yesterday's female  hero's was that  they mostly looked old enough and tough enough to lead men into war than ever could today's unconvincing replacements of  Barbie Dolls - all hips, teeth and tits- put in charge of SWAT Squads and FBI Units.

Excepting for Sigourney Weaver of course who's far too busy to be gunning down today's baddies in SCI  New York when she has her hands full kicking Alien butt in the truly magnificent Aliens movies.

ALIENS-004.jpg

sigourney-weaver-says-that-alien-5-will-

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

Sam Elliot.

As good as the best ?

Here he is almost unrecognizable from his first Western as the gambler in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid although he was uncredited

54.jpg

And his more common image as we see him now

d7d3ea5dc51eab26eb8890db08e2ba99.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Calamity Jane.

How she was

3874e2d1ebd1f48707dcbbafeec6b2c4.jpg

And how she definitely wasn't !

Calamity_jane_3117797k.jpg

Doris_Day_1953_Calamity_Jane.JPG

What intrests me is that in the film, Calamity Jane she is transformed into a fashionable well dressed, well groomed woman. I preferred her in her buck skins.. is that just me?

Andy

It did for me in post 91, when I ranked it alongside 'Bad Day at Black Rock' (1954, Spencer Tracy).

And then there's 'Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada' (2005) ranked on the box as "Evocative of Peckinpah's death-drenched Mexican masterworks 'The Wild Bunch' and 'Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia'  (1974)" - Now there's a strange film, another crazy 'Modern Western' with Warren Oates driving around with a head in a bag!

Try the Calamity Jane of the Deadwood series, if you want a different take to Doris Day - Same Buckskins, but a really potty mouth.

• Like 1

Sam Elliot.

As good as the best ?

Here he is almost unrecognizable from his first Western as the gambler in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid although he was uncredited

54.jpg

And his more common image as we see him now

d7d3ea5dc51eab26eb8890db08e2ba99.jpg

Allan, Is that second shot from 'The Desperate Trail' (1994) where he plays lawman, Bill Speakes?

• RMweb Premium

What intrests me is that in the film, Calamity Jane she is transformed into a fashionable well dressed, well groomed woman. I preferred her in her buck skins.. is that just me?

Andy

over an hour and a half since I posted this... it is just me then

Andy