Blood and custard - red line below roof

souwest

Sorry, I was writing from memory of dealing with proofs of the book. I am no expert on the Southern. The specific stock referred to is the "high window" Maunsell stock. Apparently some were painted with the top Crimson band on one side.

Re-reading what the author of the book has written, I get the impression that the new livery instructions were written by ex-LMS staff with ex-LMS locos and stock in mind. They weren't aware of some of the issues their instructions would raise for stock of other companies, not rust regarding the upper crimson line but in all sorts of ways (possibly equally applicable to the LMS's own pre-grouping vehicles).

Jonathan

Indeed - issues such as lining down the middle of the waist panels on SECR Corridor Brake Composites - with panelling not entirely dissimilar to the LNWR pattern .......... hmmmmm

• RMweb Premium

A few more comments.

I have been in discussion with the author of the book about the subject and he tells me that all the paint samples he collected were a bit lighter than the BS samples. There are several possible reasons.

Fading - red does fade.

The effect of varnish

The effect of the undercoat

The paint manufacturers did not exactly match the BS colour, either intentionally or accidentally.

Changes to the type of paint made a slight difference. Note the references in the document posted above to different paint types.

Also, photographic films from different manufacturers will render reds differently. I remember that on Kodak slides the reds seems to stand forward, whereas with other makes they were much more reticent. Add to that the vagaries of the colour printing process, the fact that slides also deteriorate and change colour and the effect of the colour temperature of the light when the photo was taken, and you have a recipe for enormous variety.

Then there is the difference in appearance between a large area pf colour and a small one, as well as the effect of the presence of things like panelling and beading, lining etc.

And of course for modellers it is generally accepted that we need to lighten strong colours a bit for them to look right.

Jonathan

I'm surprised that the "forty shades of red" topic didn't come up during the heavier snow, given how good it is for using up time when stuck indoors.

Whatever colour the real ones were, I like Bassett Lowke "blood and custard" best!