Identifying miscellaneous tank engines

If I can find mine (we've just shifted loads of stuff about....), I'll measure her up.

I doubt a Lima prairie chassis would fit as the motor fills the cab and the loco is a couple of millimetres too tall to get it to fit. A K's one might be persuaded to go in or perhaps their '1361' chassis?

I always thought the Y4 was rather attractive.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lner+class+y4&rlz=1C1AVFC_enGB735GB776&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtg-_5mNjZAhVDF8AKHRTiD8oQsAQIRQ&biw=1304&bih=628

I would guess that an HO mechanism would be required to enable that. There are compact wheelbase North American consolidation model mechanisms that might do. Some years ago a friend found one such and I loaded it into a much modified Lima J50 bodyshell that he had grafted a Patriot parallel boiler into, for an end result that looked not entirely unlike* Thompson's Q1 0-8-0T.

*Correct number of wheels. looked like a Frankenloco.

Wow. Sounds like a bit of a beast. 

If I can find mine (we've just shifted loads of stuff about....), I'll measure her up.

I doubt a Lima prairie chassis would fit as the motor fills the cab and the loco is a couple of millimetres too tall to get it to fit. A K's one might be persuaded to go in or perhaps their '1361' chassis?

I always thought the Y4 was rather attractive.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lner+class+y4&rlz=1C1AVFC_enGB735GB776&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtg-_5mNjZAhVDF8AKHRTiD8oQsAQIRQ&biw=1304&bih=628

Thanks, man. Get back to me on that. I'd measure it myself, but the bodyshell that started this conversation is currently still floating in Royal Mail's ether.

And I don't know. I'm just not a fan of the way it looks, as much as I am a fan of LNER locomotives.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Premium

Another find:

Obviously the one on the right is an Airfix Austerity, but the one on the left?

Is it reidpath or hamblings perhaps?

Going by its number, the engine on the left is intended to represent an "Improved Cleator Tank" - the last stage in the series of Furness Railway 0-6-2T tank engines, one of a pair built by Kitson in 1914. For all the evident crudity, it does look something like, though the shape of the cab cut-out is a bit off.

Oh no. wouldn't ever think of a Lima item for a mechanism. Take the Bach 45xx and lop the pony trucks off; that will run nicely.

Undoubtedly superior, but rather an expensive solution IMHO.

I still can't find my Dublo 0-4-0T body....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of the Lima 45xx, I never understood why the loco was so tall - back in the 80s when conversions and locobashing was more common, I reduced a Lima body to pretty much the correct height and it fitted onto the chassis with only minor surgery necessary. Because the running plate and the rest of the body are separate mouldings, reducing the height of the tanks and bunker wasn’t actually that difficult.

Undoubtedly superior (using an adapted Bach 45xx mechanism) but rather an expensive solution IMHO...

On this point opinions will always vary. But buying a decent s/h specimen will not be that much money, and then after what is proposed to modify the 45xx mechanism to suit what it is to power, the original body, the pony trucks and even the box can all be sold on to recoup some of the outlay. (The manufacturer's limited spares supply works for those of us willing to break models for parts, in creating a market for the off-falls.)

• RMweb Premium

I'd never seen a Y4 until that point...

Ugly beast isn't it?

It looks ideal for a gauge 1 live steamer and might even work as an outside fired pot boiler, what with having no motion between the frames and big tanks.

It looks ideal for a gauge 1 live steamer and might even work as an outside fired pot boiler, what with having no motion between the frames and big tanks.

It's been done using an Accucraft Ruby(?) As a base.

Another find:

s-l1600.jpg

I like the 0-6-2T tank engine - it's like a mix of the LNWR Coal Tank, the NSR L Class 0-6-2T and the NER N7 0-6-2T. I hope it runs well. Does it also take Hornby and Bachmann stock as well?

As far as has been told it's a Furness Railway tank engine.

As far as I know it's a non-runner, at least that's what it looks like by reading the ebay listing. I couldn't possibly tell you definitively, but it looks (from the pictures) as if it has no motor.

I have no idea if it 'takes' Hornby and Bachmann stock. Quite frankly I don't know what you mean by that phrase at all.

The red one has Romford wheels and something going on like brake gear, the right hand one looks to still have the Airfix wheels. Both have the Airfix couplings without either reading the discription and of lack of photos these two locos may be unmotorised

On the subject of the Lima 45xx, I never understood why the loco was so tall - back in the 80s when conversions and locobashing was more common, I reduced a Lima body to pretty much the correct height and it fitted onto the chassis with only minor surgery necessary. Because the running plate and the rest of the body are separate mouldings, reducing the height of the tanks and bunker wasn’t actually that difficult.

It's because of the thickness of the motor housing. When I was doing mine, I jusi removed the strip of plastic over the top of the motor and then it just fits (there's still plenty of plastic to hold it). It's quite a worthwhile modification as the extra couple of millimetres makes a considerable difference. The modification is simple - Cut off the strip of rivets along the bottom of the tanks and bunker and then remove 2mm of plastic from the moulding and refix the strip. 2mm off the smokebox saddle and she is sorted.

Lima motors are always condemned as rubbish, but all mine are OK. Granted better motors exist, but a decent controller will tame their exuberance (H & M Powermaster in my case, but other alternatives are available). Perhaps I've just been lucky?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I like the 0-6-2T tank engine - it's like a mix of the LNWR Coal Tank, the NSR L Class 0-6-2T and the NER N7 0-6-2T. I hope it runs well. Does it also take Hornby and Bachmann stock as well?

It's a long time since I saw a set of 'vintage' coupling rods made fron bullhead rail! :)  She only needs a bit of tdying up and would be quite a decent model. I would agree that a motor would be necessary along with changing the couplings. I didn't realise anyone actually used Airfix couplings! Ratio tried a version of the NMRA X2f, but soon gave it up. The Airfix version will only couple with itself, as the design is slightly different for some strange reason. They can be modified to couple but it's not worth the trouble.

Another find:

s-l1600.jpg

Beautiful little Furness Railway tank! :) Bit rough around the edges, but that's how I like my locomotives!

Anyway, it has arrived.

post-33750-0-76777200-1520534285_thumb.png

I can now confirm that it's a Hornby-Dublo starter 0-4-0 with the cab extended (and really well at that, from the outside it's really hard to tell that it didn't always look like that). Interior dimensions: length 98mm (just under 4"); width 32mm (about 1.5"); depth doesn't matter as this thing is massive and can easily take any motor I can think of. Anyone got any idea what the largest (wheel arrangement wise) chassis I can fit into this behemoth is?

Also if anyone can think of a name for this thing that'll also help.

• Like 1

... length 98mm (just under 4"); width 32mm (about 1.5"); depth doesn't matter as this thing is massive and can easily take any motor I can think of. Anyone got any idea what the largest (wheel arrangement wise) chassis I can fit into this behemoth is?

Also if anyone can think of a name for this thing that'll also help.

A short wb 0-6-0 is an easy fit. I'd stand on my earlier suggestions of the works from a 45xx, gives enough wiggle room to put the space between axles where the ashpan needs to be; and for an eight coupled I think you will have to look for a small wheeled HO eight coupled.

It's an Improbable class from the Dubious Engine Company.

• Like 1

A short wb 0-6-0 is an easy fit. I'd stand on my earlier suggestions of the works from a 45xx, gives enough wiggle room to put the space between axles where the ashpan needs to be; and for an eight coupled I think you will have to look for a small wheeled HO eight coupled.

It's an Improbable class from the Dubious Engine Company.

xD

Thanks. I'm currently eyeing up a potential 2-6-2T configuration thanks to the assistance of uax6. Also it has a name now, which is KLR No.4 Mastodon.

• Like 1

Decided to turn this into a general topic to help people with identifying miscellaneous tank engine models, seeing as that's what it seems to be generally being used as and as my original query about what is now No.4 Mastodon on my work-in-progress Kelsby Light Railway has been answered. Pay it forward, people!

• Like 1