Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Does anyone produce static N Gauge locomotive kits?

• RMweb Gold

I like to build small dioramas and they would sometimes have a rail line in the background.  The setting would look better with a Prairie tank or Saddle tank loco on it; currently I just use rolling stock.  I can't afford a working N Guage loco, just to sit on a board, so wondered if there were less expensive kits of loco's available?

Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

thanks for that. I did a search on ebay and found a body shell for a Prairie tank, for only £3.99 plus postage and have ordered that.  I'll have a go at scratchbuilding a chassis for it and that should look just fine.

Thanks again for the ebay suggestion, I don't normally look on there so didn't think of that.

Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Ebay is my friend! Just have to be careful of the dodgy folks off-loading their tat and calling it an "excellent model in good working condition". If you are willing to take a chance, you can pick up some excellent bargains with a bit of digging and waiting.

I win and lose on there. I have made some really bad choices, but on the whole, I have had far more successes and most of my loco's, coaches, wagons, electrical accessories came from Ebay.

Try  looking  for  Lone Star  items  on  Ebay,  this  was  a  diecast  range  of  push along  model  railway  items  in  000  scale  (almost  N,  slightly  narrower  track  by  about  0.5mm)

Various  steam  &  diesel  locos  including  a  pannier  tank  and  a  Jinty.   (A  Jinty  on  Ebay  now  for  £2 + £3 postage)

Later  they  moved  to  powered  models  which  I  would  expect  to  be dearer.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Lone Star models.  I used to get them in the late 1950's and had great fun with them.  I would have thought they had all vanished by now.  I'll have another search on this ebay thing and see what turns up.

Thanks again

Mike

• Like 1

The Lone Star models turn up from time.

A local charity shop had a lot for £20 recently (it's not the cheapest in the area!). I dithered (SWMBO was around!) and someone else got in first....  :(

Kinder (of egg fame) did an N gauge model of 'Adler' and train if you fancy a Victorian scene.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kinder+adler+train&rlz=1C1AVFC_enGB735GB776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyuZiSvuvZAhXoDMAKHRwBB2AQ_AUICigB&biw=1304&bih=677

Edited by Il Grifone

Keep a look out for the Shredded Wheat train which was available from the cereal a few years ago. It was a plastic Jinty with two coaches. Made by Graham Farish. They sometimes go for silly money, but can often be found for a couple of pounds.

http://lakelandrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-shredded-wheat-train.html

Jason