Am I meant to use grease on parts of model trains when servicing them?

Just to say that I was struggling to get my Dapol 08 running properly after weathering.  The paint had gummed up the works and it was baulky.  I used Labelle oil on the outside cranks and rods.  I removed the keeper plate and put a dab of lithium grease on the nylon gear.  I also put dabs of Nano grease on the bearings.  Now running as sweet as you like.

John

I have no idea i this applies to all lithium greases, but the most comprehensive destruction of plastic model rail mechanism components i have ever seen was on OO RTR locos that had been lubricated with a lithium grease over a dozen years or so. The wheels were falling off the axles and plastic gears were stripping, because the polymers used for the gears and wheelset insulators were of the consistency of chewing gum...

The grease used by Rivarossi before they became Hornby is reputed to need complete removal to make the models function again. Whether it also attacks the plastic I don't know.

Better safe than sorry and only use plastic compatible grease. The stuff | have works very well*, but is scheduled for early retirement.

* It freed up jerky plastic u/js on a US diesel beautifully, but....

Related comment - I have lost count of the times I have had to wipe almost running oil from new RTR locomotives... on the base, on the bodywork sometimes. All manufacturers seem to be culprits at times. Just SOOO much oil.

• RMweb Premium

Could I use something like this (http://www.hattons.co.uk/41988/Woodland_Scenics_HL656_Hob_E_Lube_Moly_Grease/StockDetail.aspx) on the worm gears of locomotives?

I'm putting it on mine. I haven't had it long enough to see any problems, but it did improve a bit of rolling.

My only problem with it is squeezing it out of the tube.

This subject appears regularly and I actually contacted a local oil company who would make me 25 ltrs of plastic compatable thin oil for £75. The idea was to put it into small applicator bottles and sell it to the trade and privately. Then I had to source suitable bottles and eventually the cost rose above that of what is already available. So the ones on the market now are relatively good value for money even if they seem expensive. Bachmann Woodland scenics do various oils and greases and a full service pack with all types.