Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Keith J said:

Here's your answer. The odd thing for me is that they managed to get the speed whiskers correct on the 00 model so why not this one?

Thanks. It's not even that they've simply used the 122 ones as they have squared the ends off.

Edited by Hal Nail

3 hours ago, Keith J said:

Here's your answer. The odd thing for me is that they managed to get the speed whiskers correct on the 00 model so why not this one? Apart from that, beautiful model.

IMG_1172.JPG.7dd197206a1a38fc8a4fa72133829efc.JPG

Mine has been delivered today and looking at the photo I'm wondering whether to bother even opening it or to send it straight back and exchange for a yellow panel, it looks so wrong without the whiskers meeting in the middle, as mentioned how could they get it right for the oo version and so wrong for o gauge?  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Got mine with small yellow panel and have fitted a Loksound 21 pin V5 and after a bit of remapping got all the lights to work as I want without having to take a soldering iron to it.

For me I like directional lighting on F0 so red white changing as the direction changes plus cab lights follow the direction selected but turned on and off on another F key.  

Did a quick auto tune using CV54 and it seems to run ok but only run it for one minute at most. 

It will be run in after I finish the remapping of other functions as I tend to standardise functions across my fleet. 

The picture shows it on the Lok Programmer without all the extra bits added. 

9977CBA9-47E4-4C9E-B4AC-C08B8CECA81E.jpeg

• Like 2

Congratulations to Dapol.  They have learnt lessons from the class 122 and applied them to the 121.  I fitted a Zimo decoder and this time there was no need to modify the wiring, all lights worked and with a bit of  function remapping I am well pleased.  Also, the slow running is certainly better no need to switch off back EMF, runs very smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, norman said:

Congratulations to Dapol.  They have learnt lessons from the class 122 and applied them to the 121.  I fitted a Zimo decoder and this time there was no need to modify the wiring, all lights worked and with a bit of  function remapping I am well pleased.  Also, the slow running is certainly better no need to switch off back EMF, runs very smoothly.

I was prepared to send mine back before it had arrived if it ran badly after reading all the complaints about the 122. 
Lights can be sorted out but motor issues are another problem especially if it’s physical problems. 

I did clear out the thick grease that was packed around the gears, horrible stuff. 

But very pleased with it and will now move towards adding all the bits in bags in the box. 

Edited by two tone green

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest, do you get a destination blind sheet as with the 122 (there was a box in the middle window on the 121) and if so, have they amended the typos?

Follow up question, does anyone know the dimensions of the 121 window blind and the width of strip above and below? I can estimate obviously but if anyone knows that would be better.

@railtec-models do a custom destination blind in 4mm so I would hope this could be scaled up to use in a scratch built box for the 121.

Edited by Hal Nail

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Just out of interest, do you get a destination blind sheet as with the 122 (there was a box in the middle window on the 121) and if so, have they amended the typos?

Follow up question, does anyone know the dimensions of the 121 window blind and the width of strip above and below? I can estimate obviously but if anyone knows that would be better.

@railtec-models do a custom destination blind in 4mm so I would hope this could be scaled up to use in a scratch built box for the 121.

Yes you do there are a number of blank boxes to which you can add the destinations, the typo's are still there however eg "St Earth". Frustratingly no "Severn Beach" is included. The instructions are not clear, are these waterslide transfers please?

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Yes you do there are a number of blank boxes to which you can add the destinations, the typo's are still there however eg "St Earth". Frustratingly no "Severn Beach" is included. The instructions are not clear, are these waterslide transfers please?

Thanks. I assume the "sized for 00" is a hangover from their other model!

I'd make up a box personally to get the relief but the lettering is really useful and the sizing gives a handy guide.

You would think the white lettering must be waterslide - try with somewhere spare! If so some of the typos can probably be amended quite easily by cutting, eg losing the "a" from Earth but Railtec can do you a Severn Beach.

• Thanks 1

Included in my box is an etched brass sheet marked as class 121 door step ???? ????

The last two words I can not read.

They look like they should be folded on the eteched lines and fitted under the door - but they are painted green.

Any one have any clue?

Dapol 121 bits closeup.JPG

Dapol 121 bits.JPG

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, norman said:

Included in my box is an etched brass sheet marked as class 121 door step ???? ????

The last two words I can not read.

They look like they should be folded on the eteched lines and fitted under the door - but they are painted green.

Any one have any clue?

Dapol 121 bits closeup.JPG

Dapol 121 bits.JPG

No idea, I can't read it either, interestingly they are loose in the blue one.

The destination blinds included are not useable, they are way oversized! Going to either use Railtec or make my own

20220213_135043.jpg.6c3dba4a4022823c841555218bf843a2.jpg

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2018 at 08:08, Ressaldar said:

Lets hope that Dapol remember the 'central locking plates' over the footsteps

post-6951-0-80550600-1529219186.jpg

one I did a couple of years back, a Bachmann/San Cheng O Gauge model.- reading the Spec on the DCC Supplies website, they are not mentioned.

1 hour ago, norman said:

Any one have any clue?

These?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, railtec-models said:

It already is. A quick search on "destination blind" on the web site reveals:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4514

Apologies for my sloppy post - I'll waive my commission for the plug :)

What I wasnt sure is if transfers designed for the 122 box (or similar), will fit in the 121 window but they will be a better fit than Dapols by the look of it - you should be in for some custom! 

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

No idea, I can't read it either, interestingly they are loose in the blue one.

The destination blinds included are not useable, they are way oversized! Going to either use Railtec or make my own

20220213_135043.jpg.6c3dba4a4022823c841555218bf843a2.jpg

The head code box contains two clear plastic inserts. I removed the outer one with a snatched black tack - applied the transfer to the inside face of the out piece and let it dry before trimming to size and reassembling.  Perfect.image.png.c5a0451cd03c2a1d779513c258ca2976.png

Edited by norman

1 hour ago, norman said:

The head code box contains two clear plastic inserts. I removed the outer one with a snatched black tack - applied the transfer to the inside face of the out piece and let it dry before trimming to size and reassembling.  Perfect.image.png.c5a0451cd03c2a1d779513c258ca2976.png

Unfortunately that is not correct as destination blind goes in the top of the middle window on the class 121, the roof box was used for the 4 digit headcodes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2