2mm Products and Queries

Llangerisech

41 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

Thank you - so I understand the new society products mentioned above are for those Dapol locos which have the pinpoint bearings as part of the pickup system?

If that's the case then I may be able to trade for a Class 73 chassis which has turned down wheels and DGs fitted already, which solves that problem - but I also have a slightly younger (but still quite old) Dapol 33 which presumably will have the same need for wheel turning?

WIlliam,

Dapol 33s use pinpoint bearings - they are a variant of the chassis originally designed for the 26s and 27s which also had pinpoint wheels.

As far as I know the only other Dapol diesel locos currently in circulation with non-pinpoint axles are the Class 66s, with these being retooled so I suspect the chassis will be updated at the same time, and the Westerns - as the prototype had wheels with inside bearings!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We need a Thunderbird on CF. What size replacement wheels (Association number) should we use for the Graham Farish Prototype Deltic, DP1?

Thanks

Tim

I just tested some 3-301's in mine Tim - ones I took from a Class 101.  They worked.

7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We need a Thunderbird on CF. What size replacement wheels (Association number) should we use for the Graham Farish Prototype Deltic, DP1?

Thanks

Tim

Tim

Check the gear size - I vaguely recall that the newer Deltic models have 15T gears which would fit with Kevin's observation. While you could use 3-301, the 6mm wheels are undersize being mainly for DMU units. I suppose it depends on what you planning on doing to the loco itself (ride height etc) and whether more prototypical 7mm wheels would be better. If you need 7mm wheels with 15T gears, drop me an email.

Tony

Very good news on the Ultima castings now available in Shop 4:

4-301 - Coach Roof & Ends: GWR Hawksworth: Plastic

4-340 - Coach Gangway: Scissor Type: Whitemetal

4-341 - Coach Gangway: Suspended Type: Whitemetal

4-347 - Gas Cylinders: LMS/BR: Whitemetal

4-348 - Vacuum Cylinders: LMS/BR: Whitemetal

4-350 - Voltage Regulators: LMS/BR: Whitemetal

4-452 - Coach Dynamo: LNER: Whitemetal

4-453 - Coach Dynamo: SR Bullied: Whitemetal

4-460 - Coach Duckets: LMS: Whitemetal

4-461 - Coach Duckets: LNER: Whitemetal

These are typically exactly the ones needed to finish off my kits.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

This might be a ridiculous question, so bare with!

Did the association used to sell 16ba washers?  If so, what size (diameter) were they?  I get that the hole is a set size but is the rest variable?

Many thanks

Simon

• RMweb Premium

You are correct, Simon, in the fact that the Association did sell 16BA washers. They were really nice brass turnings and I still have a couple. They are 2.35mm o.d. with the centre hole about 0.7/0.75mm.

I bought my last lot, which were etched, from an outfit called Amberley Components who now seem to have disappeared! Those etches were 2mm o.d. I've noticed that Hobby Holidays have brass etched ones back in stock:

https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=16BAWASHER

Looking at the photo I would suggest that they are also around 2mm o.d.

Eileen's used to do etched ones as well but they are also not  available now.

I use them for reinforcing the hole in the centre of a moving tie bar made from Association 2mm sleeper strip.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David,

I’d got some off a random seller on eBay and they felt a little bigger than I thought they should be to go in the middle of some valve gear - then I measured them and they’re bang on 2mm o.d.  - I’ll have a think and maybe see if I can reduce the diameter slightly.  I wasn’t sure if the old assoc ones were smaller.

Thanks also for the hobby holidays link - I didn’t realise they were selling online, looks like they’ve got all the other bits I’ve been scratching my head about since Eileen’s went!

Cheers

Simon

12 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Thanks David,

I’d got some off a random seller on eBay and they felt a little bigger than I thought they should be to go in the middle of some valve gear - then I measured them and they’re bang on 2mm o.d.  - I’ll have a think and maybe see if I can reduce the diameter slightly.  I wasn’t sure if the old assoc ones were smaller.

Thanks also for the hobby holidays link - I didn’t realise they were selling online, looks like they’ve got all the other bits I’ve been scratching my head about since Eileen’s went!

Cheers

Simon

Are you wanting them for locomotive motion rods? Try 3-129 crankpin washers 0.6mm bore or 3-140 motion pin washers 0.3mm bore.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DavidLong said:

I bought my last lot, which were etched, from an outfit called Amberley Components who now seem to have disappeared!

David

Amberly Components (note the subtle difference in spelling) are still trading it seems;

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/op/43872-AmberlyComponents

I think this is their ebay listing;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235355652625?hash=item36cc4a4211:g:UGwAAOSwMuxlhekz

Andy

• Like 2

N Brass closure. 

Such a loss to the hobby.  Is there any possibility that some of the products could be picked up by the Association as was done with Etched Pixels? 

The owner of Train Trax tried to buy the business, it seems, but it fell through.

25 minutes ago, Simon D. said:

N Brass closure. 

Such a loss to the hobby.  Is there any possibility that some of the products could be picked up by the Association as was done with Etched Pixels? 

Unlikely.    It was discussed by the Association's committee. 

- Nigel  (committee member)

16 hours ago, Simon D. said:

Thank you Nigel for the quick response.  Any reasons?  

Hi Simon

There are various reasons that factor into the decision:

• Many of the items are N Gauge and thus unsuitable.
  • Many of the items are duplicates of products already offered by the Association.
  • If we introduce items into the shops, we need to be fairly certain that that they will sell in reasonable quantities and that we can maintain the supply in future (after any initial stock acquired has been sold). Often many of the tools (casting or etching) feature mixes of products such that to acquire item A, you end up with items B, C and D too. The Association has moved away from this approach in recent years ensuring that we have dedicated tooling for individual items. While this is more costly at the outset, it is more efficient thereafter.
  • Most importantly, the process is long and arduous and needs members to volunteer to undertake the work involved. This is likely to involve inspecting bulk bags of parts, identifying them, assessing their suitability, identifying the tooling for them and recording this information (along with considerations as to other parts on the tool), possibly making the tooling good for future production, cataloguing parts, pricing them and shipping them to shops. The Etched Pixels work was enormous, fell on the shoulders of two or three individuals and ultimately yielded a relatively small number of parts. The owner of Etched Pixels was very helpful and accommodating, but there was still substantial work required by Association members.

If members feel that there are parts that the Association should stock, they need to make the Product Development Office aware and be prepared to be assist in the development and production of those parts.

I hope this helps.

Tony Simms

Sales Officer

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2