driverless trains on the network

• RMweb Gold

Can't agree about massive infrastructure requirement. How many trains are fitted with WiFi now?

Driver in a control centre, think huge train set. Singapore has one of these now!

Read the bits about object detection (on the line) then look at a typical British mainline railway, then take a trip on the DLR and read Post 116.

Many years ago I got used to the fact that most people who hadn't got the first idea about railways knew far better how to organise and work them than those of us who had been trained to do the job.  We now appear to have a  generation of those who know far better how to convert the British mainline railway to ATO operation than those who know the practicalities of the infrastructure on that network or have been involved in ATO development and who dismiss important issues - the last 10& - as 'niche'.

And don't bother to report this post because I will and, especially in the light of the solid information at posts 116 and 123 it's about time we stopped the merry-go-round  anfd had the thread locked while a bit of practical commonsense is there for all to see.

• Like 4

as one of the "overpaid button pressers" who would be affected by this , I'll declare a vested interest.

I'd also ask a question , namely why highly technologically developed countries such as Japan , South Korea and dare I say Switzerland haven't yet introduced automated trains on their mainline (non-metro LRT) networks? the posters on here claim it's a simple matter to implement , so why haven't they? I'm sure it's not because of the social issues of suddenly having hundreds of train drivers unemployed.