NCB ex-BR iron ore tipplers. Vacuum brakes?

I've just acquired a job lot of 16 ton minerals, amongst which were a handful of iron ore tipplers.  They would be perfect for conversion to NCB internal-use wagons, but the one that is by far the best of the bunch  (a much-tweaked Parkside kit with Bill Bedford springing) is a vac fitted version and I've a strong suspicion that all those that ended up with the NCB were unfitted.

Does anyone know any different?

I've just acquired a job lot of 16 ton minerals, amongst which were a handful of iron ore tipplers.  They would be perfect for conversion to NCB internal-use wagons, but the one that is by far the best of the bunch  (a much-tweaked Parkside kit with Bill Bedford springing) is a vac fitted version and I've a strong suspicion that all those that ended up with the NCB were unfitted.

Does anyone know any different?

I don't think any NCB internal use wagons would have been vac-fitted. Or at least the vacuum brake gear would be redundant if it was on second hand wagons because I don't think I've ever seen a photo of any NCB loco with vac pipes, even in the diesel era.

Late last night I read that one reason why comparatively few 16ton minerals were vac fitted was because when they ventured onto NCB metals the shunters refused to connect them, so there would be no point in the NCB buying any of BRs cast-offs.

The Fat Controllers comment about some having clasp brakes but no vac cylinders is one possible escape route, but did any so equipped end up in NCB hands?

Extensive Googling has proved fruitless (needle in a haystack job) my library tends to concentrate on the locos more than the rolling stock and although there are plenty of former iron ore tipplers to be seen in the numerous videos on YouTube, those where the brake gear can be made out in the shadows beneath the solebar have all been "traditionally" braked.

It depends on where and when you are modelling as when Manvers closed in 1989 there were a small number of MSV’s.

Several collieries had MSO’s but were not common, one of these is now at Chasewater in NCB blue livery but I can’t recall where it was prior!

Mark Saunders

I've being trying to follow up Mark Saunders lead but the Vintage Carriage Trust's website has had something seriously wrong with it all day, with it taking a very long time indeed to get absolutely nowhere or even longer to crash out and no other websites offering any worthwhile help.

Instead I've found a couple of pictures which are either too grainy or the subject too distant to make out the nature of the actual brake gear, but with tie-rods between the W irons conspicuous by their absence.

Would that be because they've got clasp brakes or is wishful thinking making me put two and two together to make twenty-two instead of four?