Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help in identifying this loco please

A member of the family is sorting through their old toys and amongst the Hornby Dublo stock and track is this curio. It looks like an American style FP7 but in BR blue. All that's printed underneath is made Hong Kong.

Any help in identifying this loco would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

A member of the family is sorting through their old toys and amongst the Hornby Dublo stock and track is this curio. It looks like an American style FP7 but in BR blue. All that's printed underneath is made Hong Kong.

Any help in identifying this loco would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Hi There

Is there a photo please?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I've got one of these (a H0 F7A in BR livery). She is branded Tyco (according to my records - the loco is stored away somewhere), but probably originated in Hong Kong. She came in a job lot (years ago) and is undergoing repaint into SP 'black widow' livery (a slow process).

I also have a similar, but rather cruder, F3A branded Marx*. This came (even more years ago - for 10/- IIRC) with two coaches coupled with enormous buckeyes and has rubber band drive to gearing in the bogies. This drive consumed most of the output of her puny 6V motor, until it expired in a cloud of smoke. I was running her on 12V and didn't keep its output down enough (mea culpa, but the rubber bands have perished anyway).

*Possibly from the same factory in Hong Kong?

This looks like the matching B unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARX-USA-VINTAGE-COLLECTABLE-F-3-B-UNIT-DIESEL-NEW-YORK-CENTRAL-RAILROAD-HO-/122879629370

Further to the above, I found this by chance:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115522-worst-model-locomotive/page-4

#82 there is one in a Life-Like box.

This suggests either out-sourcing or some collaboration (or just my records are incorrect). I will have to check....

Those cab windscreen look familiar.

Img_0849.jpg

Bought mine second hand in a Bachman box, so not certain it is original. All it says under the model is made in Hong Kong.

DSCN0219.jpg

Open frame motor with a layshaft drive, did Bachmann do them?

Dscn0220.jpg