Turntable mechanisms/indexing articles

HOTTODDY

I have asked this question before and I was kindly given an answer, but I have mislaid it. Very annoying, but at my age it happens quite often!

Anyway, the articles I refer to were about readers ideas and designs, featured over several issues, in the 80s and 90s (I think!!!?).

In particular, the one I would like to see again, is one which used an upturned record deck, which acted as a flywheel and modified with  indexing slots around the rim. If anyone can tell me which magazine it was in, I would be most grateful and promise to write it down in a safe place , so that I can find it again!!.

Thank you all for your patience and tolerance,

Tod

• RMweb Premium

I have asked this question before and I was kindly given an answer, but I have mislaid it. Very annoying, but at my age it happens quite often!

Anyway, the articles I refer to were about readers ideas and designs, featured over several issues, in the 80s and 90s (I think!!!?).

In particular, the one I would like to see again, is one which used an upturned record deck, which acted as a flywheel and modified with  indexing slots around the rim. If anyone can tell me which magazine it was in, I would be most grateful and promise to write it down in a safe place , so that I can find it again!!.

Thank you all for your patience and tolerance,

Tod

RM January 1993 pages 20 - 22?

Thank you all for the link to the article, That was very kind. Thanks to Kevnims for finding my original post. I did search for it before my new posting, but I couldn't remember how far back I had to go. All I have to do is find a copy of said article......? Anyone got it, to scan and email it to me please?

Thanks again

Tod

Edited by HOTTODDY

• 1 year later...
On 07/04/2018 at 11:29, kevinlms said:

The video does not seem to be available.

In the UK there was pressure from the board of trade to stop the practice of running tender first and later a speed limit, 40 mph I believe on tender locos running tender first. This did not apply to tank locos and speeds of over 60mph were scheduled for tank locos running bunker first on the GWR.  Incidentally I have seen a log for a 94XX Pannier on 8 coaches running at 60 down through Maidenhead deputising for a 61XX and losing time.

When the Turntable at Penzance was out of action the (G)WR drated in extra 51XX tanks to run the man line trains to replace the usual tender locos.  

The usual turntable problem is the deck should move and the disc below stay still  The only way I can see to do it is have the mechanism and indexing  below the baseboard and the deck above

For full realism the indexing should only drop in when the deck is perfectly aligned so a few attempts going too far then not enough before it drops in will add that touch of realism