Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Baseboard materials

Good evening all.

I am planning my new layout.

previously I have used ply, but upon repairing my shed I discovered 11mm OSB board.

is this ok to use as baseboards?  I have never used it before and it seems strong and its cheaper than ply!

what are your thoughts?

regards

Dan

• RMweb Premium

I would not use it for a base board. Whilst OBS is great for building with, I don't believe that it has the same level of strength as ply when cut into thin strips. 

I would not use it for a base board. Whilst OBS is great for building with, I don't believe that it has the same level of strength as ply when cut into thin strips. 

the minimum 'strip' would be 3 foot wide, is that too narrow?

Strength is not the issue.

I am a huge fan of OSB in construction , but it is very difficult to cut with the precision needed for layouts. Edges remain rough and flaky, and accurate locating holes all but impossible. Huge amounts of filler needed for a half decent finish.

It has also shot up in price inthe last year. Now no cheaper than budget ply.

No doubt someone will prove me wrong!

• RMweb Premium

the minimum 'strip' would be 3 foot wide, is that too narrow?

I was assuming that you were thinking of using it for the frame and would be looking at 100mm wide strips. 

Personally given the choice I would not have OSB Board anywhere near a layout.   It never seems to have anything like the strength of ply when laid flat but the worst feature is I find it impossible to avoid a nasty jagged edge on the board which cuts the skin at the slightest touch. 

I would stick with ply for track beds but if starting another layout I would go for L girder construction and fairly thick track beds rather than a great sheet of ply covering a frame like dad made me for my first layout when I was 6 years old.

Ply.

OSB has no inherent strength and we only use it for to keep stud work square.

Its good for the interior walls of sheds, and particularly stables (it becomes a hole when a horse kicks it!) not often a problem with model railways I hope!!