London yellow brick colour?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Anyone have some pointers for a good paint colour to represent London yellow brick? Currently building a few walthers kits to use as a backscene, and I want to "get the London look" as she said.

• RMweb Premium

And after painting don't forget to weather well (and to varying degrees) with a soot black colour.   The distinctive yellow bricks are seldom seen now looking clean other than when a new extension to an existing building goes up or a repair gets done.  

I have taken to using Humbrol 28 as a base mortar colour, before working over it in various shades of yellow ochre, brown and blue-black colouring pencil before dry brushing with Humbrol 29 and airbrushing to finish. It sounds like a lot of work (actually it is!) but the effect is worth it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122189-yellow-brickwork/&do=findComment&comment=2700179

Have a look at this link to another similar question, with a fuller answer at post 12. Sorry I am having to be brief. I need to get out to take the evening service at Haynes tonight.

Charlie

Edited by L49
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2018 at 17:23, L49 said:

I have taken to using Humbrol 28 as a base mortar colour, before working over it in various shades of yellow ochre, brown and blue-black colouring pencil before dry brushing with Humbrol 29 and airbrushing to finish. It sounds like a lot of work (actually it is!) but the effect is worth it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122189-yellow-brickwork/&do=findComment&comment=2700179

Have a look at this link to another similar question, with a fuller answer at post 12. Sorry I am having to be brief. I need to get out to take the evening service at Haynes tonight.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, some good info there. Those house's you've built in that thread do look the part.

I thought I'd have a practice on an old Hornby/triang bridge, this one was a later version moulded in the brown plastic.

First a few light coats in Halfords khaki beige colour, then dry-brushed in a few differing shades of humbrol brown. I decided to try picking a few bricks out in different colours, but I'm not happy with how they came out. The base coat of khaki worked well though.

Edited by simon b

For many years now I have mixed stock brick colour with acrylics - usually a squeeze from a tube of yellow ochre onto a dinner plate with a touch of black from a tube and ordinary white matt emulsion house paint. I like to get a range of the types of brick colour (they are not all the same) I  use it thick and stab it onto the surface; semi-dry brush.

It is a bit like the advice for weathering a loco, look for soot under cills, staining and lighter areas where rain (and sun) leach the colour. There can be touches of greenish mould and rising damp lower down.

Another trick is to score brick courses  (1 millimetre apart at 4mmm scale) onto the surface while the acrylic is drying to give a satisfying patina.

Once you start looking closely, you begin to realise the great range of brick colours - often people (mistakenly) conflate stocks with other bricks like Suffolk greys and the strangely pallid colours of colliery bricks used for industrial structures in former mining areas.

In architectural modelling it is frequently argued that the colours (hues) of buildings should be toned down - so that the yellow stocks of Kings+ are slightly paler (desaturated) in model form. I think you can see this in the buildings linked to in post #4

I had this luridly demonstrated to me years ago by the skilled BR professional model maker actually based in Kings+ station when I had to work with him on a presentation.

dh

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Charlie, some good info there. Those house's you've built in that thread do look the part.

I thought I'd have a practice on an old Hornby/triang bridge, this one was a later version moulded in the brown plastic.

First a few light coats in Halfords khaki beige colour, then dry-brushed in a few differing shades of humbrol brown. I decided to try picking a few bricks out in different colours, but I'm not happy with how they came out. The base coat of khaki worked well though.

attachicon.gif20180408_205441.jpg

attachicon.gif20180409_214146.jpg

attachicon.gif20180409_214150.jpg

I would add a few more highlighted bricks and then a few light washes of the base colour with a bit of dark earth to tone it all down. The number of washes are variable, but until the desired effect is obtained. I use artists acrylics from the tube and water for washes.

• Like 1